LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 07-27-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
524 upgrade to 826

I have a 1974 524 that was re-powered with a B&S engine by the previous owner. I am looking to upgrade to a more power model that can throw heavy, 10+" deep snow across a double-wide driveway. I found a similarly old 826 with the original tecumseh engine.

Do you think this 826 is enough of an upgrade? Will it throw heavy, 10+" deep snow across a double-wide driveway?

Last edited by creeve4; 07-27-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-27-2018, 10:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 196
Likes (Received): 283
I spent some time working on a machine similar to the one you linked to on KSL. It had an updraft carburetor and was a bit finicky. I also had some significant time invested in the ignition interlock, especially with the switches in the handle bar levers. When it did run well it did move some serious snow. I have an older 724 that now has a Predator engine. It will throw the snow the distance you are looking for. Consider putting one of those on your current 524. Modern OHV Honda clone for the win.
post #3 of 39 Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeve4 View Post
I have a 1974 524 that was re-powered with a B&S engine by the previous owner. I am looking to upgrade to a more power model that can throw heavy, 10+" deep snow across a double-wide driveway. I found a similarly old 826 with the original tecumseh engine.

Do you think this 826 is enough of an upgrade? Will it throw heavy, 10+" deep snow across a double-wide driveway?
That 8HP BRIGGS Motor will have more than enough RASINS in it to get the job DONE!!!!!!!!!! It will dig you oot and dig you oot fast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 39 Old 07-28-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My 524 was not well cared for by the previous owner(s). I have done what I can to repair it without putting in too much $, but the final straw is the worn auger worm gear that to longer turns the augers. It's not worth it to replace the gear with all of the other issues the machine has.

In what way is the carburetor finicky? Anything particular I should check on the 826?
post #5 of 39 Old 07-28-2018, 01:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
My 524 was not well cared for by the previous owner(s). I have done what I can to repair it without putting in too much $, but the final straw is the worn auger worm gear that to longer turns the augers. It's not worth it to replace the gear with all of the other issues the machine has.

In what way is the carburetor finicky? Anything particular I should check on the 826?
I have never had any problems with those BRIGGS Carbs. The only thing they don't like is water in the fuel. and that happens when the snow is dripping off of me while filling the tank in my Heated Garage.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 39 Old 07-28-2018, 01:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:

If that was repowered with a BRIGGS Motor than it would either be a 7HP OR 8HP Engine. The 5-24's came stock from the little TORO Factory with those Gutless wonders of an engine only. and youse all know what I am referring to in that Dept.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 39 Old 07-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
It was a couple years ago now and probably something I was doing wrong due to my unfamiliarity with the older updraft style carb. The machine belonged to a friend of a friend. I remember discovering it being very sensitive to the amount of fuel in the tank. With the tank topped off it ran fine but before it even reached a half tank it was stumbling and not making power. I also remember it taking some time to make the correlation between the tank level and the way it ran. I'm sure it was probably just something I overlooked when I cleaned the carb but the owner got rid of it before I got a second shot at it.
post #8 of 39 Old 07-28-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was able to pick up the 826 for $100. It runs, but the carb needs a little work. Overall it's in good condition for the age. I've got a few months to rebuild the carb, lube, and tune it up.
post #9 of 39 Old 07-28-2018, 03:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
]I found a similarly old 826 with the original Tecumseh engine.
I hope it works well for you. I love these old beast Toro's. Just to clarify, however, this is a Briggs on your new machine isn't it?
post #10 of 39 Old 07-28-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, it is a Briggs. I incorrectly assumed that it was a Tecumseh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page