LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Metal Chute Concern on New Models

So Toro has switched from plastic "Sub Zero Material" chutes to metal chutes on their PowerMax and PowerMax HD snowblowers. On the surface, this seems like a good change. But I have a question and a concern...

Question - were there any issues with the plastic chutes? I'm thinking the change to a metal chute might be marketing related to "compete" with Ariens, Husqvarna, Simplicity, etc.

Concern - the quick stick is noticeably sloppier on a machine with a metal chute vs a machine with a plastic chute, presumably because of the extra weight and inertia. Go to your local dealer and try them side by side, assuming they have both new and old models on their floor. The stick on the new (metal chute) model has significant play in it while grabbing the lever and attempting to move the chute (without actually moving the chute). I'm concerned that this may cause some wear or issues or over time. We'll have to wait and find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 10:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 22
I have heard a lot of people disparage Toro's plastic chutes, but have not heard of issues from actual owners. Not all plastic is created equal but it often is in the eyes of the consumer so I would guess their marketing team wanted the change. I have noticed that the plastic on Toros tends to get discolored over time and looks cheap so that could be part of it too.

Probably no going back now after touting the steel chutes as superior.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 12:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 13
I have a 2008 Toro Power Max 1028. Bought new. Absolutely no problems with chute.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #4 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 02:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
Im going to say its cheaper for them to make it all metal and most uninformed will always think metal is better. There plastic is and was awesome. The early 2004 models had a recall after the first season for the lower chute and we changed a ton of them and only seen a few cracked ones. The last one we changed over was about 2014 they covered it and that one had no cracks. Im happy I bought the plastic 1028 last year. Im sure the new one will be good also. Only thing I don't like is the added weight but im mostly on gravel and grass so that's why I like it lighter. I see your point about the chute but they did beef the handle up where they needed to so it should be good and if not I trust toro would find a solution. Like all new things time will tell.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs9 View Post
I have a 2008 Toro Power Max 1028. Bought new. Absolutely no problems with chute.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Same here. Zero issues. Love it.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 03:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 350
Likes (Received): 162
I tried both side by side and yes I think the plastic chute is easier to turn. The double articulated chute deflector does require more effort to move than I would have thought. In comparison with the Ariens Pro series I prefer the Pro over the Toro's controls.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #7 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 04:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
I have had a d used many Toro machines with plastic chutes and have never had a problem.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #8 of 21 Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 4
The main reason they changed was to compete with every manufacturer who offered metal chutes. Our dealership sells Ariens and Toro. A lot of customers were put off by Toro's plastic chute and flocked straight to the Ariens. Often times, when I pointed out the great parts of a Toro, they said it looked too cheap and the Ariens looked more robust.
After explaining the benefits of the plastic chute (lifetime warranty, won't crack, dent, or lose paint, and ease of chute rotation), a lot of people became interested in the Toro's and were happy to buy one.
But then figure that an Ariens and a Toro were side by side in Home Depot with no real expert to let them know the difference.

I thought that Toro's plastic chutes were great. They were effortless to turn and move. Out of the thousands of Toro snow throwers we sold through the years, both 1 and 2 stage, zero had any problems with the plastic chutes.
As for using both types (the plastic and the new metal), I can definitely feel a difference between the two. The metal just does not feel as tight.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes whoa liked this post
post #9 of 21 Old 11-19-2018, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 9
I just bought a 2019 826 OXE 37799. Sold my 12 year old 826 with the plastic chute. I wish my new one had plastic.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-19-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdestuck View Post
I just bought a 2019 826 OXE 37799. Sold my 12 year old 826 with the plastic chute. I wish my new one had plastic.
I'm interested to know why, please explain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page