Snowmaster 724 QXE Surging When Choke Is Off - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Snowmaster 724 QXE Surging When Choke Is Off

I bought a brand new Snowmaster 724 QXE last October.

Today I had to use it for the first time. I put a new spark plug in it, changed the oil, and put fresh gas in it (I made sure to buy the Toro 5w30 oil and buy the correct spark plug, along with setting the gap according to the manual specifications). When I fire it up, it will idle fine if I put the choke around 50% or slightly more...give or take. However, whenever I close the choke completely and run it full throttle, the engine won't stop surging like in this video

This isn't my video, but a pretty accurate representation of what's happening.

Is this normal for a Toro Snowmaster? It seems to go away (a little but not fully) under a full snow load but it just seems like it shouldn't be doing this. I don't recall hearing other people's gas snowblowers running like this as "normal".

Anyone else out there with this or a similar model that could shed some light on what is and is not normal for this model? I'm not an engine guy by any stretch of the imagination. If the hard drive in your desktop computer dies, I'm your guy. But small engines? I wouldn't know the first thing to troubleshoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Welcome to the forum! Has the machine had any gas sitting in it since you bought it? Even just enough to start it? Did you buy it in October 2017, or October 2018?

Surging is a common symptom when gas degrades while sitting in the carburetor, and starts to plug it up. The degraded gas begins closing off the tiny passages in the carb, and you start surging when you turn the choke off. Or you might even stall.

You could try adding some fuel system cleaner to the gas, and running it for a while. If you're lucky, the cleaner might be able to get the little passages open again. People here have different preferences for fuel system cleaner. Star-Tron is one that gets mentioned, I think Lucas Oil makes one. You may hear Seafoam suggested, but that one has never worked for me, for cleaning a dirty carb via running it.
Gas with ethanol (most gas, at least around here) degrades pretty quickly, some people say it starts going bad in a month. I add fuel stabilizer to all my gas (I use Sta-Bil brand) when I fill my gas can. I've been fortunate enough to avoid carb issues, when using stabilizer. It's cheap insurance, and can help avoid problems.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 185
Garage
The choke should be open not closed after it warms up
Why Did you change the plug in a brand ne machine
post #4 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 90
I would clean the main jet with a bristle from a wire brush pushed into a wood match...........sounds clogged....

I found a nice craftsman.Husqvarna clone self propelled Mower a guy had a sign on down the road from me.....I started it and would just surge over and over......i cleaned the main jet.......Ran like a top....

But in that video it is surging... he plays with the idle and it stops so not sure,.....but still give it a try. As R. O. said if gas sits in it over the year and can mess the carb.

I use Star tron to spec. and it seems to do well also as mentioned by R.O. also.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Welcome to the forum! Has the machine had any gas sitting in it since you bought it? Even just enough to start it? Did you buy it in October 2017, or October 2018?

Surging is a common symptom when gas degrades while sitting in the carburetor, and starts to plug it up. The degraded gas begins closing off the tiny passages in the carb, and you start surging when you turn the choke off. Or you might even stall.

You could try adding some fuel system cleaner to the gas, and running it for a while. If you're lucky, the cleaner might be able to get the little passages open again. People here have different preferences for fuel system cleaner. Star-Tron is one that gets mentioned, I think Lucas Oil makes one. You may hear Seafoam suggested, but that one has never worked for me, for cleaning a dirty carb via running it.
Gas with ethanol (most gas, at least around here) degrades pretty quickly, some people say it starts going bad in a month. I add fuel stabilizer to all my gas (I use Sta-Bil brand) when I fill my gas can. I've been fortunate enough to avoid carb issues, when using stabilizer. It's cheap insurance, and can help avoid problems.

I did leave just a smidge of gas. Ran it dry after a minute or two before filling it up with new gas tonight. I’ll have to try some of this fuel system cleaner and see if it helps.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
The choke should be open not closed after it warms up
Why Did you change the plug in a brand ne machine

Well whatever it’s called. I flip the choke to the left to start it (per the manual) and then move the choke lever to the right after it warms up.

Also, I just figured that since it’s an expensive and nice snowblower, I should keep the oil and spark plug fresh every winter. Can’t hurt right?
post #7 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplicitySolid22 View Post
I would clean the main jet with a bristle from a wire brush pushed into a wood match...........sounds clogged....

I found a nice craftsman.Husqvarna clone self propelled Mower a guy had a sign on down the road from me.....I started it and would just surge over and over......i cleaned the main jet.......Ran like a top....

But in that video it is surging... he plays with the idle and it stops so not sure,.....but still give it a try. As R. O. said if gas sits in it over the year and can mess the carb.

I use Star tron to spec. and it seems to do well also as mentioned by R.O. also.

Yeah so small engine repair isn’t exactly something that’s currently in my wheelhouse. Approximately how difficult would it be for someone to “clean the main jet”? Also, what do you mean by “the main jet”?
post #8 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
The carburetor needs to be taken off, disassembled, and cleaned. The main jet is in the middle, on the bottom, underneath the fuel bowl.

Try running Seafoam, carb cleaner, in the gas, for 30 minutes. Follow directions for how much.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #9 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 185
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman90 View Post
Well whatever itís called. I flip the choke to the left to start it (per the manual) and then move the choke lever to the right after it warms up.

Also, I just figured that since itís an expensive and nice snowblower, I should keep the oil and spark plug fresh every winter. Canít hurt right?
Oil yes every 25 or 30 hours
plug no iam at 8 yrs on 1 blower plug most blowers avg 30 hrs a yr depends where you live etc
don't fix what isnt broke plugs last years
post #10 of 14 Old 11-27-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
Oil yes every 25 or 30 hours
plug no iam at 8 yrs on 1 blower plug most blowers avg 30 hrs a yr depends where you live etc
don't fix what isnt broke plugs last years
Good to know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page