521 Goes Forward Very Well But Won't Reverse - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 10
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
521 Goes Forward Very Well But Won't Reverse

Hi all, title says it all pretty much. My old 521 (38052, 6xxxxxx serial) drives very, very well in any gear forward, but does not go well in reverse at all unless it is on absolutely bare pavement/ground. I replaced the friction wheel last year and this has been a problem ever since then (and actually I think it was at least starting to become a problem before I replaced the friction wheel too).

When I put it in reverse, the friction wheel lines up pretty close to the center of the friction plate (just to the left of center from my vantage point), should it be going further away from the center? Or any other ideas of things to look for?

Thanks as always, you all are great.
lo2e is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
micah68kj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: S. C. Pa. 39.755928, -77.577766
Posts: 4,837
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 357
Likes (Received): 895
Friction wheel.must cross centerline of drive plate for your machine to have reverse. Think about it for a minute and you will figure it out. Adjust your linkage to make the rubber wheel cross centerline.
Something else, wipe off the hex shaft and reapply a very, very thin coat of light grease. I use light lithium. Make sure the wheel has free movement clear across the shaft.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
micah68kj is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup liked this post
post #3 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,416
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
Hi all, title says it all pretty much. My old 521 (38052, 6xxxxxx serial) drives very, very well in any gear forward, but does not go well in reverse at all unless it is on absolutely bare pavement/ground. I replaced the friction wheel last year and this has been a problem ever since then (and actually I think it was at least starting to become a problem before I replaced the friction wheel too).

When I put it in reverse, the friction wheel lines up pretty close to the center of the friction plate (just to the left of center from my vantage point), should it be going further away from the center? Or any other ideas of things to look for?

Thanks as always, you all are great.
Check to make sure you got the friction wheel back on in the correct orientation after you changed it last year. if you got it on 180 degrees backward, that might be why its not getting much past the center of the drive disk. There might be some adjustment available with the shift linkage which will allow you go get the wheel past the centre point into reverse territory. Since you say the problem started after replacing the rubber wheel, I would check its on the right way first. Are you finding that the highest speed forward setting on the shift has the rubber wheel running almost off the edge of the drive disk?

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
skutflut is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes VirginIASnow liked this post
post #4 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 10
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thank you both for the responses so far. I've taken some pictures of the friction wheel and disk to more accurately depict what it looks like (and I went ahead and put some grease in there - didn't work I'm afraid).

In the first picture, that is what it looks like in 3rd gear forward.

In the second and third pictures, it shows it in reverse. The second picture is from the underneath of the machine, the third picture is from the back side of the machine (not good quality, unfortunately).

Thanks again for any help on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Friction wheel.must cross centerline of drive plate for your machine to have reverse. Think about it for a minute and you will figure it out. Adjust your linkage to make the rubber wheel cross centerline.
Something else, wipe off the hex shaft and reapply a very, very thin coat of light grease. I use light lithium. Make sure the wheel has free movement clear across the shaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Check to make sure you got the friction wheel back on in the correct orientation after you changed it last year. if you got it on 180 degrees backward, that might be why its not getting much past the center of the drive disk. There might be some adjustment available with the shift linkage which will allow you go get the wheel past the centre point into reverse territory. Since you say the problem started after replacing the rubber wheel, I would check its on the right way first. Are you finding that the highest speed forward setting on the shift has the rubber wheel running almost off the edge of the drive disk?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	151755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	151757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	151759  
lo2e is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,416
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Did you say you replaced that rubber friction material last year? It looks pretty worn for less than a year old.

What is the full model number of your machine and the year? I will try looking up a parts list to see if I can get a better idea of the mechanical setup.

I'm afraid I cannot see much from these photos, having trouble orienting things with the angle of the photos.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
skutflut is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
micah68kj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: S. C. Pa. 39.755928, -77.577766
Posts: 4,837
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 357
Likes (Received): 895
I am on a small, old tablet and can't really make much from those pics. All I can.tell you is that where you are saying 3rd is, the rubber wheel has to be over on the opposite side of the drive platter for the machine to have reverse. It has to cross the center line in order to make the rubber drive wheel spin the opposite direction.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
micah68kj is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI
Posts: 675
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 165
Looks like that is the case here, but is not always true on older Toro's. I have an, iirc, 1979 724 that has two friction disks, and only the one rubber wheel. It moves to contact one disk for forward, and the other for reverse, never crossing the centerline. On that guy, if the linkage is wrong, you get great contact in one direction, but little to none in the other.



As noted, it doesn't look like this Toro is setup that way, but the vintage is correct, so never assume . . .
tadawson is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
micah68kj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: S. C. Pa. 39.755928, -77.577766
Posts: 4,837
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 357
Likes (Received): 895
I just took a couple pics of my 521..notice the orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190118_170011776.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	151771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190118_165949738.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	151773  

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
micah68kj is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
micah68kj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: S. C. Pa. 39.755928, -77.577766
Posts: 4,837
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 357
Likes (Received): 895
This last picture shows it in 3rd gear position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190118_165926019.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	151775  

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
micah68kj is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 10
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Did you say you replaced that rubber friction material last year? It looks pretty worn for less than a year old.

What is the full model number of your machine and the year? I will try looking up a parts list to see if I can get a better idea of the mechanical setup.

I'm afraid I cannot see much from these photos, having trouble orienting things with the angle of the photos.
Yep, replaced it last year. Since I've been trying to troubleshoot the reverse since last year, I've been operating it a lot without the bottom cover attached, so that might be why the rubber wheel is worn already.

Model 38052, Serial No. 6,000,000+ (which I believe puts it in a 1986 vintage)

Pictures 1 and 3 are from where the operator stands looking horizontally into the underneath area. Picture 2 is from the underneath looking vertically up at the friction wheel and plate (and the left side is the left of the machine in that picture). It is in 3rd gear in picture 1 and reverse in pictures 2 and 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Looks like that is the case here, but is not always true on older Toro's. I have an, iirc, 1979 724 that has two friction disks, and only the one rubber wheel. It moves to contact one disk for forward, and the other for reverse, never crossing the centerline. On that guy, if the linkage is wrong, you get great contact in one direction, but little to none in the other.
As noted, it doesn't look like this Toro is setup that way, but the vintage is correct, so never assume . . .
There is definitely only one disk and one rubber wheel on this one.

Last edited by lo2e; 01-18-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Fix year
lo2e is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome