LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-28-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Toro Powermax 724 auger noise

I have a Toro Powermax 724 that was purchased new about 2 years ago. Everything has been working fine up until the other day when I was using it to clear some snow from the driveway. After about 15 minutes of use, I heard what sounds like a squeaking/squealing noise coming from the auger area. It only makes a noise when the auger is engaged and it doesn't do it all the time.

First thing I did was stop using the machine and looked at the manual for any type of grease fittings/maintenance. I didn't realize that the yearly maintenance required GL5/6 80-90w oil to be added to the gear box. I checked the gearbox and it did have oil, but it looked like it could use some, I bought the correct oil and added it in. I fired up the machine, finished plowing the driveway (about 15-20 minutes of run time) and never heard the noise, again.

A day passes, more snow, I fire it up, today, and the noise came back after 15 minutes, or so, of use.

I'm not sure what else to check/what else it could be, any recommendations?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-28-2019, 03:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt-snow1 View Post
I have a Toro Powermax 724 that was purchased new about 2 years ago. Everything has been working fine up until the other day when I was using it to clear some snow from the driveway. After about 15 minutes of use, I heard what sounds like a squeaking/squealing noise coming from the auger area. It only makes a noise when the auger is engaged and it doesn't do it all the time.

First thing I did was stop using the machine and looked at the manual for any type of grease fittings/maintenance. I didn't realize that the yearly maintenance required GL5/6 80-90w oil to be added to the gear box. I checked the gearbox and it did have oil, but it looked like it could use some, I bought the correct oil and added it in. I fired up the machine, finished plowing the driveway (about 15-20 minutes of run time) and never heard the noise, again.

A day passes, more snow, I fire it up, today, and the noise came back after 15 minutes, or so, of use.

I'm not sure what else to check/what else it could be, any recommendations?

Thanks.
Check the Belt and adjust the cables 4 it.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dt-snow1 liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 01-29-2019, 05:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 115
take off the belt cover, inspect the belt and adjust as per your owner's manual if you don't have them you can download them here
https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=44745
post #4 of 12 Old 01-29-2019, 10:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
I'm wondering if you might have a small piece of gravel caught behind the impeller. If that is the case, in time the gravel size will wear down and get thrown out.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-30-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Check the Belt and adjust the cables 4 it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 woodie View Post
take off the belt cover, inspect the belt and adjust as per your owner's manual if you don't have them you can download them here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdestuck View Post
I'm wondering if you might have a small piece of gravel caught behind the impeller. If that is the case, in time the gravel size will wear down and get thrown out.
Thanks for all of the replies, I will take a look.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 132619 View Post
I took the cover off and I can't really find the picture that is referenced in the service manual (I'm on page 4-9 step 3). I ran the unit, with the cover off (made sure to stand off to the side, not in the way of the belts) and engaged the auger. I didn't hear the noise and everything seemed fine. After about 5 minutes of engaging the auger, I heard the slightest whine wanting to start. I'm wondering if the snow/water assist in making the noise louder, not sure.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-05-2019, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 278
Likes (Received): 146
Could be the bearing. Once again Taryl Fixes all.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #8 of 12 Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Could be the bearing. Once again Taryl Fixes all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwNKpWzCP9o
If I have to replace a bearing on a two year old machine, it is going in the garbage.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt-snow1 View Post
If I have to replace a bearing on a two year old machine, it is going in the garbage.
It is NOT The BLOODY BEARING!!!!!!!!!!! It is 1 of those Idler pulleys that are making noise every now and then. Just leave it alone it will be fine.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 12 Old 02-06-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
It is NOT The BLOODY BEARING!!!!!!!!!!! It is 1 of those Idler pulleys that are making noise every now and then. Just leave it alone it will be fine.
Is there anything that I can do to prevent it from making noise? When it gets loud, it is quite annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page