Aiming Quick Shoot while actually blowing snow? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Aiming Quick Shoot while actually blowing snow?

Yesterday I got my first real use of my new-to-me 221QR. It did great, but I do have a question about Quick Shoot.

It rotates easily when there's no snow coming out of the chute. But when I'm actually blowing snow, the mechanism binds up some, and is somewhat difficult to re-aim. If I let go of the handle, or stop moving forward, so that the snow flowing through the chute decreases, I can aim it more easily.

So I was usually slowing down if I had to re-aim, to avoid over-stressing the mechanism.

Is this normal? Not sure if mine is binding up because it needs to be cleaned & lubed around the base of the chute. Or if I'm just being chicken, and I should just give it a bit of a shove to re-aim while there's snow coming out.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 02:49 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 937
Likes (Received): 214
Garage
My new to me 621qze does the same thing, I just assumed it was from the pressure of the snow and it just isn't designed to overcome that without a lot of pushing. I just stop to redirect when needed, but it's still much better than giving her a reach around.

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #3 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 247
Likes (Received): 290
they do make machines with electric actuators for the chute turning/pich and I dont think they are affected by the torque of the snow flowing through.

Simplicity comes to mind

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #4 of 4 Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I emailed Toro to ask them. They said it's not meant to be re-aimed while blowing snow, they said stop, aim the chute, then continue blowing.

I've been able to re-aim the chute while blowing with all my 2-stages (with both metal and plastic chutes), so this takes away a bit of the "Quick". But as you said, gibbs26, it's still a lot better than having to aim it manually. At least you don't have to move from the controls. And I was able to re-aim it if I slowed down the amount of snow coming out, I didn't have to stop the snow completely.

I may still see if I can lube that ring a bit, to at least help with the situation.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gibbs296 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page