post #1 of 17 Old 02-18-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Old Toro 826 traction drive problem

Hi everyone,
I have a Toro 826 that is new to me this year. Model #38060. I'm pretty sure this model is from the late 70's or early 80's.

I'm having an issue where the drive is only working on #3. There is no forward movement at all when on #1 or #2.
I opened it up to see what the problem is. It seems like there is too much play in the linkage between the shifter and the friction wheel, so that when I try to shift to #1 or #2, the wheel just slides over to the middle of the drive disk as soon as it makes contact. How much play is there supposed to be in this linkage? I assume that it should be relatively solid with not much side to side movement of the friction wheel when it is in gear? Is there supposed to be a spring or something to take out the play in the linkage?

Assuming that the linkage parts are just worn out and need replacement, where does everyone here buy their parts? I checked on partstree.com and the parts I need are not available.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-18-2019, 10:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Received): 31
Going from memory the most common problem is the shift rod getting bent a bit. If the friction disc is worn enough and not gripping well make sure that rod is good and straight then I think you want to loosen the jam nut and lengthen it. Just keep adjusting until you cant move the wheels anymore under your own power. There should be a couple beefy springs attached to either side of the arm assembly to hold the disc against the plate when its engaged.

Everything should be tight as far as side to side wiggle is concerned. If there is significant play in the bushings and bearings then that could also cause a problem. For springs and bushings, if NLA, try a source like Mcmaster Carr or MSC.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
What does the Friction Wheel look like??????????? ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 17 Old 02-19-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the replies,
The rubber friction wheel looks like it's in really good shape actually. I think it must have been replaced at some point in the last few years because it looks relatively new.

The problem seems to be that there is so much play/slop in the shifter linkage. For example, when the shifter is in neutral (so the wheel is not touching the disc), I can easily move the wheel left and right by at least 3 inches. What happens when I try to put it in gear is that as soon as the wheel touches the disc, the rotation of the disc pulls the wheel to the left until it's riding right in the centre of the disc and there is no forward motion anymore. 3rd still works somewhat because the wheel still pulls to the left, but it runs out of slack in the linkage and ends up roughly where #2 should be.
Does this make sense? I'll try to snap some pictures once I can get out to the garage again.

Thanks
post #5 of 17 Old 02-20-2019, 02:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 275
Here's what a new disc should look like https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/40-8170/
otherwise I'd say make the the rod is not bent and that it is riding in the correct postion relative to the disc position... you may need to adjust the length.

Look at the control rod spring part #69 here.... https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro...ndle-assembly/

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #6 of 17 Old 02-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
to SBF sjthuss

Maybe a photo or two might be helpful.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #7 of 17 Old 02-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 29
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
to SBF sjthuss

Maybe a photo or two might be helpful.

I second the photo or video . My crystal ball is cloudy. Put it in the service position with belly pan off and show us video or pictures of linkage asn you will get real help here.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 17 Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 148
Likes (Given): 280
Likes (Received): 590
Needs A Stronger or New Spring that Tensions the Friction Wheel when in Drive Position
post #9 of 17 Old 02-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
Here's what a new disc should look like https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/40-8170/
otherwise I'd say make the the rod is not bent and that it is riding in the correct postion relative to the disc position... you may need to adjust the length.

Look at the control rod spring part #69 here.... https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro...ndle-assembly/
Well at least those are not NLA.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 17 Old 02-20-2019, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Received): 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjthuss View Post
Thanks for the replies,
The rubber friction wheel looks like it's in really good shape actually. I think it must have been replaced at some point in the last few years because it looks relatively new.

The problem seems to be that there is so much play/slop in the shifter linkage. For example, when the shifter is in neutral (so the wheel is not touching the disc), I can easily move the wheel left and right by at least 3 inches. What happens when I try to put it in gear is that as soon as the wheel touches the disc, the rotation of the disc pulls the wheel to the left until it's riding right in the centre of the disc and there is no forward motion anymore. 3rd still works somewhat because the wheel still pulls to the left, but it runs out of slack in the linkage and ends up roughly where #2 should be.
Does this make sense? I'll try to snap some pictures once I can get out to the garage again.

Thanks
Is just the carrier assembly moving (disc and piece disc is bolted to) or is the whole shaft assembly moving left and right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page