LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help Me Get a 1974 Toro Running

I tried to film my latest attempt. Sorry for the shaky video.

https://youtu.be/KGzCxQfwghg

Briggs & Stratton model 31263. Spark plug appears to be ok. Looking for any suggestions if you can diagnose anything from this video. Appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 527
The only thing that video tells me is you have some compression. You need compression, fuel, and ignition delivered at the proper time. I'm going to guess either fuel or ignition, not timing. With that old Briggs, I would pop the recoil cover, and bolt on a modern Briggs coil....most any single cylinder will work, I use vertical shaft coils from blown up lawn tractors, ...and you can be sure of strong reliable spark. The points on those old Brigg's are a PIA. Before you get to involved , use some carb cleaner or starting fluid in the carb. If it fires your problem is fuel, if not you need spark . Even if you have spark, once you get it straightened out , I'd get rid of the points. Something else is the safety interlock on those old Toros. If those aren't working you get no spark. disconnect the kill wire from the coil and try before anything else.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 404
Garage
Nice video but not complete because

How clean and free of rust is your fuel tank? Carburetor? Are you absolutely sure?

If not, disconnect the fuel line, drain the fuel bowl

Remove the spark plug

Pull the cord a few times to clear out any bad gas from the cylinder

With the spark plug removed, Ground the spark plug, pull the cord, check for spark, if not, clean the points or install a Mega Fire replacement ignition module, you can also remove the flywheel housing and clean the magnets, check for gap, check the flywheel key

Install the spark plug

Spray starting fluid in the carb, now try to start it

If it starts, put the gas line back with fresh fuel.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 02-23-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #4 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 621
Good advice so far. Before messing with coils, I'd start with the suggestion of squirting some gas or starting fluid into the carb. If it will run for a few seconds on that, then you at least have a serviceable spark.

What are the two controls you were messing with on the carb in the video? The lever might be the choke. But that just needs to be in the proper position for starting (choke on, with the plate closing off the carb's intake). Flipping the choke back/forth with the engine just sitting won't do anything.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 01:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 165
In the brief shot of the control panel, the throttle was set to the rear. On my 70's 724, forward is for high throttle, and the ignition cuts when to the rear - not sure about this one. And And as others have notes, dinking the choke back and forth won't accomplish anything - it needs to be closed for start . . .
post #6 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the input. The carb is new and there is no rust in the tank. I will try with some starter fluid and follow the suggestions here on the spark plug.

In the video I was just trying to to demonstrate the position of the choke. And it was in neutral the whole time.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
For The Love of ZEUS!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE THAT BLOODY FREAKING STARTER FLUID!!!!!! You could blow a hole right through that piston!!!!!!!!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 06:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
THE Problem is in those safety interlock's. you are not getting any spark.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean_Playground View Post
Thanks for the input. The carb is new and there is no rust in the tank. I will try with some starter fluid and follow the suggestions here on the spark plug.

In the video I was just trying to to demonstrate the position of the choke. And it was in neutral the whole time.
OK, carb is likely questionanble (but new) third world which has never run, and the tank is clean. You said nothing about the age and condition of the fuel line, and there is always a chance the carb is bad. Ignition also, since Toro typically has an ignition kill on the carb, and if your new one didn't do that right, it may well have the ignition shut down for you . . .

Last edited by tadawson; 02-23-2019 at 07:04 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-23-2019, 08:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
For The Love of ZEUS!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE THAT BLOODY FREAKING STARTER FLUID!!!!!! You could blow a hole right through that piston!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know if maybe carb cleaner is gentler when it ignites?

I recently ordered a $1 plastic squeeze bottle that has a tube going to the bottom. We use ones like it at work. It should let me put some gas in the bottle, and give it a squeeze to squirt some gas into the carb. I'll probably use mixed 2-stroke gas, which can safely be used for a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke. It won't be more violent than normal gas, and it'll also bring a little lubrication along with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250ml-500ml...72.m2749.l2649

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in