LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New Toro 724 (1981) - service

First post, so hi everyone! My newest member of the family is a Toro 724, model #38050, serial #1003765, which I think makes it born in 1981. Iím new to snowblowers but Iíve worked on a bunch of motorcycle and car engines so I feel pretty confident working on the snowblower once I get set in the right direction.

It starts OK from cold and will run for a while and then cuts out, even when warm. Given that I donít really know itís history and it wonít run continuously, I wanted to give it a good service. Iíve found the technicianís manual on the forum which will help with a tear down and the carb manual, but any idea what I should be doing to it by way of a service? I was thinking that because it wonít run continuously it may be sucking air into the carb? Oh, I'm at 10,000ft in Colorado, butI bought it from a guy who lived at altitude as well, but in any event I'm thinking that once I service an adjust the fuel/air mixture it should be good.

It has a Tecumseh H70 engine and I think a Tecumseh 631920 carb, but how do I find out what series # the carb is? The carb maintenance manual seems to speak in terms of series # rather than model #?

It has a small split in the seam of the plastic gas tank (see photo). Is there a reliable way of fixing the hole, or do I need to just buy a new gas tank?

You can see from the photos that there appears to be an oil leak at the base of the engine. I canít see a gasket there by looking at the parts catalog. Any idea what the problem might be?

Finally, when itís running it doesnít throw snow very far at all. In fact, it just kinda dribbles snow out of the chute. Is there something I need to adjust or service in order to get it throwing properly?

All ideas greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3108.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	1050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	1052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3106.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	1053  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
NTY blower

First off: welcome to the forum. Second is congrats on the New-to-You blower. On your carb question, there should be 2 sets of numbers on the flywheel cover. First is size and model, and the other may be what you're looking for (don't have any Toro's so can't be sure on that).

I tried fixing a cracked tank a while back for a friend. I picked up something like a small soldering iron and some material similar to hotglue sticks. This was designed for fixing small tears in car bumper covers. I drained it, put some water in it so the repair spot was on top and melted some of the sticks into the crack. I haven't heard back on any problems with it so I'm guessing it's held. Big thing is to be careful around any fumes with anything hot.

Most all engines with a breather show a little oil film on the motor over time. if there's no puddles then it's likely not an issue but you could clean it off with some solvent and see if it comes back.

Your dying issue might be something as simple as a plugged gas cap. If it happens again, loosen the cap and see if you can hear any suction of air and try restarting after a few moment.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it turns out.
post #3 of 60 Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Hi AnimalHungry, welcome to SBF, glad you joined us, and thanks for your questions. Looks like you picked up a pretty darn nice Toro.

Try the trick HCBPH suggested, or maybe try loosening the cap before you start it the next time and see if it still does it. Could be as simple as getting a new cap, or shooting some cleaner through the one you've got.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #4 of 60 Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1635
Likes (Received): 571
hello animalhungry, welcome to SBF. the model and serial number dhould be on the cover or frame down near where the handlebars attach. has the fuel filter been changed? is the petcock fully open? jb weld should seal the tank. as for not blowing snow very well it could be the belts and it could be the amount of snow or lack of snow in the case of a two stage snowblower

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #5 of 60 Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I would say it is probably "series 3". I think pretty much all snowblowers carbs are like that.

Have a look here. This guy has lots of Tecumseh and snowblower videos.
The Small Engine Doctor - YouTube

Call me crazy, but I would think if the tank is leaking you won't have an gas cap vacuum, but who knows. While on the subject, I am going to assume that since the tank leaks you aren't filling it very far. These old Tecumseh engines don't run very well when you have "just enough" gas in the tank. I think they need at least a 1/4 tank to be happy. You can try fixing it or just look for a used one on a broken engine. I bet any small engine repair shop will have a supply of old ones sitting out back.

The oil leak looks more like dirt and possibly some spillage from old oil changes. To me it doesn't look like a concern.

The poor performance could be related to a slipping belt as was stated. Also, snow blowers work best with more snow and not less snow. If you barely have any snow on the ground and are just trying to play with your new toy you will be disappointed by the performance. You could also try investigating the "impeller modification" that people do. A search on here, google or youtube will yield lots of hits. The type of snow matters too as slushy snow tends to not throw much.
post #6 of 60 Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
First off: welcome to the forum. Second is congrats on the New-to-You blower. On your carb question, there should be 2 sets of numbers on the flywheel cover. First is size and model, and the other may be what you're looking for (don't have any Toro's so can't be sure on that).

I tried fixing a cracked tank a while back for a friend. I picked up something like a small soldering iron and some material similar to hotglue sticks. This was designed for fixing small tears in car bumper covers. I drained it, put some water in it so the repair spot was on top and melted some of the sticks into the crack. I haven't heard back on any problems with it so I'm guessing it's held. Big thing is to be careful around any fumes with anything hot.

Most all engines with a breather show a little oil film on the motor over time. if there's no puddles then it's likely not an issue but you could clean it off with some solvent and see if it comes back.

Your dying issue might be something as simple as a plugged gas cap. If it happens again, loosen the cap and see if you can hear any suction of air and try restarting after a few moment.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it turns out.
Many thanks. I have a soldering iron so I'll have a crack at 'welding' the tank first. It's only a small crack. I'll look into the gas cap but like Shryp said, since I have a hole in the tank this may not be the issue. I'll test it and find out tho.
post #7 of 60 Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Hi AnimalHungry, welcome to SBF, glad you joined us, and thanks for your questions. Looks like you picked up a pretty darn nice Toro.

Try the trick HCBPH suggested, or maybe try loosening the cap before you start it the next time and see if it still does it. Could be as simple as getting a new cap, or shooting some cleaner through the one you've got.
Yeah I think it's a real nice one. The auger mech and housing barely has a spot of rust on it. When it runs it sounds smooth and throaty, like a 7hp motor should. There's some surface rust around the control panel, and I want to fix the ignition switch and connect an interlock level (currently missing), but other than that it's all good.
post #8 of 60 Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
hello animalhungry, welcome to SBF. the model and serial number dhould be on the cover or frame down near where the handlebars attach. has the fuel filter been changed? is the petcock fully open? jb weld should seal the tank. as for not blowing snow very well it could be the belts and it could be the amount of snow or lack of snow in the case of a two stage snowblower
Thanks! The petcock fully opens but I'm gonna check the fuel filter. I also want to service the carb cos I'm pretty sure it's not as clean in there as it should be. I'll try and weld the tank and if that fails I'll try some JB Weld.

It's snowing right now and we have a winter advisory so we might see 6-18" which would be a great test for the blower. I didn't realise that 2 stage blowers struggle with less snow.
post #9 of 60 Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
I would say it is probably "series 3". I think pretty much all snowblowers carbs are like that.

Have a look here. This guy has lots of Tecumseh and snowblower videos.
The Small Engine Doctor - YouTube

Call me crazy, but I would think if the tank is leaking you won't have an gas cap vacuum, but who knows. While on the subject, I am going to assume that since the tank leaks you aren't filling it very far. These old Tecumseh engines don't run very well when you have "just enough" gas in the tank. I think they need at least a 1/4 tank to be happy. You can try fixing it or just look for a used one on a broken engine. I bet any small engine repair shop will have a supply of old ones sitting out back.

The oil leak looks more like dirt and possibly some spillage from old oil changes. To me it doesn't look like a concern.

The poor performance could be related to a slipping belt as was stated. Also, snow blowers work best with more snow and not less snow. If you barely have any snow on the ground and are just trying to play with your new toy you will be disappointed by the performance. You could also try investigating the "impeller modification" that people do. A search on here, google or youtube will yield lots of hits. The type of snow matters too as slushy snow tends to not throw much.
Thanks Shryp. I've found a carb identification guide so I'll go straight to the Series 3 first and see if it matches mine.

The split in the tank is halfway down so I have about 1/4 tank of gas in it. I'll fix/replace the tank and then fill 'er up and see if that makes a difference. It doesn't like it when I rock it backwards when I turn it around, so I was thinking it could be junk in the carb swilling around or plain old lack of gas. I'll test it when I fix the tank.

I'm gonna service it, so I'll check the belts for wear and adjustment so that might answer the blowing issue - or it could just be not enough snow for the stage 2 blower to munch through.

I found the small engine doctor vids and I'll use them to help me service the carb. I plan on buying a carb service kit with the gaskets, needle and o-rings etc so that should put me on the right road.

Thanks for the impeller mod tip. I'll check that out when I get him running good in standard trim.

Cheers
Simon
post #10 of 60 Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHungry View Post
It doesn't like it when I rock it backwards when I turn it around, so I was thinking it could be junk in the carb swilling around or plain old lack of gas. I'll test it when I fix the tank
Some of those tanks are installed with the fuel line connected to the front and some with the fuel line connected to the back. If the fuel outlet is at the front and you tip it back you will be sucking air through the fuel line. A short time shouldn't make a big issue though, since the carb bowl is what the engine runs on.

Also, most blower don't sit with the tank perfectly flat, so if the tank naturally leans away from the outlet you have a lot of gas in the tank, but not so much by the outlet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page