LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
726 final drive sprocket groove pin?

The only consistent problem I have with this old machine is with the way the final drive sprocket is pinned to the shaft. It is supposed to be a solid 1/4" "groove pin" but that had sheared. (Probably why I was given the machine....) I have been using grade 8 1/4" bolts, but these only last a few hours before shearing. I've been assuming these are at least as strong as a groove pin but maybe I'm wrong about that. I've been thinking about drilling out the shaft and sprocket for a 5/16" or 3/8" pin or bolt but that would be a bit of a pain. Suggestions? Is this a common problem with these machines? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-11-2019, 04:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 130
Thanks (Received): 263
Likes (Given): 338
Likes (Received): 869
You must have something else going on. That's one of the last things that would break. Something out of line stuck or something hanging up?
Groove pin. ... Are you meaning a roll pin?
This?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-11-17-01-25.png
Views:	20
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	154859  

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 5 Old 03-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 31
Either replace the split pin that was there or try something like a Spirol pin which is essentially a split pin that's been rolled like a cigar to give it more strength. I'd only drill it if the hole is wallowed which will allows the drive play to hammer any pin or bolt until it breaks. If you do have to drill i'd go the next size up on a split or spirol pin as you'll have a lot more intermediate sizes as opposed to removing a lot of material to get a 5/16 bolt to fit.

Grade 8 and Stainless are harder and thus more likely to break than bend when put under load or hammered.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-11-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoThro View Post
Either replace the split pin that was there or try something like a Spirol pin which is essentially a split pin that's been rolled like a cigar to give it more strength. I'd only drill it if the hole is wallowed which will allows the drive play to hammer any pin or bolt until it breaks. If you do have to drill i'd go the next size up on a split or spirol pin as you'll have a lot more intermediate sizes as opposed to removing a lot of material to get a 5/16 bolt to fit.

Grade 8 and Stainless are harder and thus more likely to break than bend when put under load or hammered.
Well, I have sheared two today. I need to solve this or the machine will have to be retired.

Obviously the 1/4" grade 8 bolts aren't the answer! The hole is too close to the sprocket plate for 5/16" nuts/bolt heads.

I expect the holes in the the shaft and the sprocket hub are somewhat wallowed. Likely, enough that a 1/4" spirol pin won't stay in place. But I can go try to buy one locally and try it.

Obviously the 1/4" grade 8 bolts aren't the answer! The hole is too close to the sprocket plate for 5/16" nuts/bolt heads.

Maybe drill for a 5/16" spirol pin or groove pin?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 474
Thanks (Received): 333
Likes (Given): 288
Likes (Received): 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuller View Post
Well, I have sheared two today. I need to solve this or the machine will have to be retired.

I expect the holes in the the shaft and the sprocket hub are somewhat wallowed. Likely, enough that a 1/4" spirol pin won't stay in place. But I can go try to buy one locally and try it.

Maybe drill for a 5/16" spirol pin or groove pin?
If you are going to retire it. I will take it off your Hands to use as a parts machine 4 "SR". : yahoo:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in