38543 824 Powershift, 1989 model - or is it ...? - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 03-25-2019, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
If you go Ripping into that gear box you are going to need a tube of this. Because there is NO Gasket 4 it. https://www.autozone.com/catalog/com...x/85420/image/ I just used AUTO ZONE Because I already had it Bookmarked.
Thanks, it's good to know I don't have to worry about getting a new gasket. I believe I have a tube of liquid gasket somewhere.

__________________________________________________ _____________
Eastern Norway, -25 degree winters, +30 summers (some years ...)
1990 Toro 824 Powershift
Pre-2000 622 Snapper/HSK60, for sale
Unknown year Partner 5-61/HM50, for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 03-25-2019, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by groomerz View Post
Also those axle shaft ends look rusty pull the pins and wheels and grease those axles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do, when I regrease the transmission. Hopefully I'll have some time to play around with it in the weekend, then I might just get to test it on the snow left in my garden. It's disappearing fast these days, though.

1990 Toro 824 Powershift
post #23 of 28 Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Norway runs 240 V 50 Hz for household power.
post #24 of 28 Old 03-30-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I've pulled the impeller, and it wasn't too hard to straighten it with a large vice, an anvil and a large hammer. A coat of Hammerite and it doesn't look half bad. I'll put on a rubber kit and then it'll be good.

The Powershift failure was, as expected, just a matter of wire adjustment. Works smoothly now.

The wheels was wrongly fixed in the outer axle holes, letting the bushings wander outwards. No rust and very little play, though, so now that they are correctly mounted they will work well.

No play in the transmission input, which is good news. The gearshift is smooth through all the gears. Chain adjustment was quick and easy, sprockets look good.

Scraper bar is unevenly worn. I'll grind down the high part for now, and see if I can find a replacement eventually. Plenty of adjustment left in this one yet, so it might work.

One thing I've noticed is that the engine will start quite easily when cold, with full choke and a couple of pushes on the primer bulb. It then runs well enough on full, gradually reducing the choke. On idle it backfires, hunts slightly and eventually dies. And then it is nearly impossible to start again, regardless of choke and gas settings. I'll get a new spark plug, adjust valve clearance and carb, and then we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_182607548.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	155249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_182613397.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	155251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_182632641.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	155253  

1990 Toro 824 Powershift

Last edited by Norwegian; 03-30-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #25 of 28 Old 03-30-2019, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 474
Thanks (Received): 331
Likes (Given): 288
Likes (Received): 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
So I've pulled the impeller, and it wasn't too hard to straighten it with a large vice, an anvil and a large hammer. A coat of Hammerite and it doesn't look half bad. I'll put on a rubber kit and then it'll be good.

The Powershift failure was, as expected, just a matter of wire adjustment. Works smoothly now.

The wheels was wrongly fixed in the outer axle holes, letting the bushings wander outwards. No rust and very little play, though, so now that they are correctly mounted they will work well.

No play in the transmission input, which is good news. The gearshift is smooth through all the gears. Chain adjustment was quick and easy, sprockets look good.

Scraper bar is unevenly worn. I'll grind down the high part for now, and see if I can find a replacement eventually. Plenty of adjustment left in this one yet, so it might work.

One thing I've noticed is that the engine will start quite easily when cold, with full choke and a couple of pushes on the primer bulb. It then runs well enough on full, gradually reducing the choke. On idle it backfires, hunts slightly and eventually dies. And then it is nearly impossible to start again, regardless of choke and gas settings. I'll get a new spark plug, adjust valve clearance and carb, and then we'll see.
MAZEL TOV on That 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #26 of 28 Old 03-31-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Long day at the hockey rink watching the girls' tournament and doing my duty in the speaker box, but got a few hours to tinker with the beast afterwards.

Assembled the front and got it mounted at the frame, taking the play out of the auger shaft by moving the belt disk as far onto the shaft as it would go. All greased and moving slickly.

Then the **** thing wouldn't start. Pulled myself silly, then checked the gas. Almost empty. Filled it up, still no luck. Got the occasional fire, but no run.

So I pulled the heat box, the carb and the muffler, opened the breather plate and checked the valve clearance. .008 intake, .004 exhaust. I didn't want to take of the head, cause I don't have a new head gasket, so I adjusted the clearance quick and dirty by lifting the valves with a screwdriver and wedging a small flat file between the lifter and the valve stem. After quite a few strokes the intake is now .012 and the exhaust .008. Got it back together, pulled the rope, and ... nothing.

Then I checked the spark plug again. Somewhat weakish spark, even after adjusting the spark gap, so I borrowed the plug out of a Snapper with the HSK60 on it, and what can I say? Fired right up. No backfiring, no blubbering, just good, clean fun. Adjusted the idle as low as it would go, still running smoothly. Killing it, it would start again on idle with one pull.

So I took it for a spin on the lawn, throwing a foot of half frozen old snow several meters (and no impeller kit on yet either). Powershift works, interlock works, reverse holds as long as handle is pressed and releases as soon as the handle is released. Had to keep it short, being Sunday and all. Perhaps tomorrow afternoon.

Those studded chains will have to go, though - they wreck havoc on my plaster stones. Not to mention my lawn. 😆
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190331_181414544.jpg
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	155271  

1990 Toro 824 Powershift

Last edited by Norwegian; 03-31-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #27 of 28 Old 03-31-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Oh, and I jury-rigged a mains cable to the starter assembly to possible save myself some pulling. Solenoid clicks upon turning the key, then the circuit breaker trips. Guess that starter has rusted solid from decades of non-use. Guess I'll have to open it up and have a gander inside one of these days.

1990 Toro 824 Powershift
post #28 of 28 Old 04-01-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
With the new old plug we're back to one-pull-start. So I ran it across the lawn into the wet, half frozen snow that's been piled up by a tractor blower during winter.

It just bit right into it. Consistent 20-30 ft throw to the right, and 15-20 ft all other directions. And that with a good 1/4" impeller gap. Drilled holes in the paddles before reassembly yesterday, so now I've only got to find me some reinforced rubber sheet.

The Powershift is even more awesome when it's used while blowing - sooo smooth and useful. I'll come to love it greatly next winter, methinks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190401_164538089.jpg
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	155285  

1990 Toro 824 Powershift
post #29 of 28 Old 04-02-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Changed the auger gear box oil today. There was enough in the box, but it hasn't been changed for a long time. Perhaps not ever - certainly didn't look too good. I replaced it with a nice mineral EP 80/90 propeller oil, which came in a handy squeeze tube. Easy peasy.

Turns out the starter motor is actually 12 volts, part number 33605. No battery tray, though, and I can't find a charge wire either. Anyone know what that's about? Were they sold with a transformer or something? The (Norwegian) manual I got with it clearly says 240 volts. Anyway, that explains why the house fuse blew. Good thing it didn't catch fire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190402_150533984~2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	155311  

1990 Toro 824 Powershift

Last edited by Norwegian; 04-02-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page