Snowblower Forum banner

New Toro cordless single stage!

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bisonp 
#1 ·
#6 · (Edited)
Interesting mower, but I like the design of the EGOs a lot better and they charge 3x as fast. Would be more interested in an electric Super Recycler, these appear to be electrified versions of Toro's budget Recycler line. Assuming my local shop could service the Toro though, so that's a bonus.

#9 ·
Interesting. But for context, most of the mowers show a 60V, 6.0 Ah battery, or 324 Wh (Watt-hours). 1hp is 745W. So a 324 Wh battery can provide 0.45 hp for an hour, or 0.9 hp for a half-hour. The higher-end mower (and the snowthrower) use a larger 7.5 Ah, 405 Wh battery, so 0.55 hp for an hour, 1.1 hp for a half-hour.

My little Toro Powerclear 1800 can put out about 1600W max, or 2.1 hp. It won't be able to equal the peak-power of these, most likely. You can briefly pull a lot of current from a battery, probably several hp. But it can provide its lower output continuously.

I see mowing as a better fit for cordless tools at the moment, vs snowblowing. Even if the grass is extra-tall, it's probably not the end of the world to mow for a battery, let it recharge for a while, then continue. There's probably not a ton of surprise, "emergency" mowing.

But if there's 6" of snow in the driveway, you need to get to work, and the battery just died with the driveway half-cleared, you're probably not going to be a happy customer. Spare batteries are an option, but I found a listing for a spare 7.5 Ah battery here, for $350:
https://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=88675(Toro)

Maybe they'll be cheaper once these really hit the market, but a battery that size will still be expensive. Even at $200, that's a somewhat pricey investment in added runtime.

I'm not saying these are bad products. Everything has its place, and target market. But for now, for me, I'll deal with gas and cords. Though I wouldn't say no if someone wanted to give me one of those automatic robotic mowers! :)

#10 ·
The first thing I noticed about the new blower is that like the EGO, it is not self-propelled. That tells me all I need to know about how the power compares to gas.

I can see this being a nice compliment to a two stage gas blower for light snows. But I would not want one as my only blower.

Paul Sikkema has an initial overview up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.