New Toro Power Clear 821's online - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 09-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Very cool! I think an 821 is a great idea. I'd like to get a 721. I think my 221 is really nice, my only "complaint" would be that more power could make it even more useful, with bigger storms. And an 821 would be even better than a 721.

Are the RC models good? I really like the QuickShoot on mine, it seems like a shame to give that up.
Bend the metal tab that the governor spring attaches to a tiny bit (maybe about an 1/8 inch) to make the spring "tighter". Adds a few RPM, some added HP, no effect on engine life, and takes about 1 min to accomplish :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Yup, I've already set the governor at the top of the RPM spec. I could go a bit over, but I don't know how well these R-Tek engines handle excess speed.

Unfortunately, raising the RPM still doesn't provide more lower-end torque, to resist bogging down in deeper snow. That's where a 721 or 821 sounds nice.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #23 of 29 Old 09-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 112
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 894
Likes (Received): 209
Garage
I have had the QuickShoot freeze up on my 621. It wasn't the cable but more like snow melting and freezing in the rotating section. A couple of thumps with a gloved hand seems to work. A heated garage would be much better..

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #24 of 29 Old 09-12-2019, 03:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 30
Quote:
Yup, I've already set the governor at the top of the RPM spec. I could go a bit over, but I don't know how well these R-Tek engines handle excess speed.

Unfortunately, raising the RPM still doesn't provide more lower-end torque, to resist bogging down in deeper snow. That's where a 721 or 821 sounds nice.

They can handle increased RPM with ease. The R-Tek on my 2 stage blower runs at around 4200rpms. No issues, had it for almost 12 years now.

Also - the low-end torque thing - people get these things confused with like 500cc 4 stroke dirtbikes as compared to 125cc 2 stroke dirt bikes. The 2 cycle is hitting on every revolution - perfect for a single stage. Setting the governor higher means it is also going to stay higher longer when you get to that deeper snow - its not just higher RPM, but resistance to slowing down (more spring tension trying to keep the throttle open). You will be pleased, I promise.

For the record I'm not anti 4-stroke, nor being accusatory at all - there's just so many folks who go "oh yeah no torque" or "oh yeah messy!" but really don't have anything other than forum hearsay or old wives tales to back it up. Ive built, raced, and used two strokes for 20+ years in tons of applications. They are fantastic, if a bit noisy and smoky in outdoor equipment. Direct injection two strokes are a completely different animal in terms of smoke and noise. The fact of the matter is two strokes in our snowblowers are gone because of the overzealous EPA and thats it, and only it. :-)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #25 of 29 Old 09-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 300
Likes (Received): 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbuick View Post
Pouring a little bottle of oil into a container of gas is NEVER messier than changing oil on a 4 stroke engine. That is a fallacy. Its about "low hanging fruit" emissions. The two strokes are lighter and better in my opinion.

The same people who complain about "mixing gas and oil" never seem to have any problem getting the cream and sugar into their coffee just right...
No kidding, but for the mass markets, especially now with higher CC units available 2 stroke is gone in blowers forever.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #26 of 29 Old 09-13-2019, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
How Will this higher CC perform with *new technology or not paddle/chute*

I have owned two HS621. Still got one.....full all out *enthusiast refurbishing*. One's even got a new complete auger shaft just cause I was seeking perfection.

Was not crazed with the unit in the wet snow I get. Constant clogs....often chasing the shoot with a short wooden stick, rins e and repeat.
post #27 of 29 Old 09-13-2019, 08:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 101
Looks cool still the older ccr snowblowers are one the best single stages ever made.

I have ran them side by side with newer 621 and 721 I dont think they have the power of a 3650 2 stroke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
post #28 of 29 Old 09-13-2019, 11:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
That's very interesting, and a comparison I haven't gotten to make. My assumption has been that a 721 would be more powerful than my 221 (2-stroke R-Tek 21").

But if that's not true, that's good to know. I'd stop keeping an eye out for a deal on a 721. I just kinda want the most powerful SS I can reasonably get my hands on, to let it manage bigger storms.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #29 of 29 Old Today, 11:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 101
Quote:
That's very interesting, and a comparison I haven't gotten to make. My assumption has been that a 721 would be more powerful than my 221 (2-stroke R-Tek 21").

But if that's not true, that's good to know. I'd stop keeping an eye out for a deal on a 721. I just kinda want the most powerful SS I can reasonably get my hands on, to let it manage bigger storms.
As long as the engine size is comparable the 2 stroke will always make more torque than a 4 stroke. It fires twice as much as the 4 stroke. More bangs =more power lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page