Toro 38090 (1132) snowthrower maintenance - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 38090 (1132) snowthrower maintenance-snowblower-003_1566865780378.jpg
I am a proud owner of an early model 38090 (1132) snowthrower. It's my first thrower and has served well so far. Repair has been fun. Discovered the drive chain is unobtainable after the master link broke apart with 8 inches on the ground waiting for us. All shops exhausted I luckily ran into a master link at True Value that was same size, although I had to grind out a few thousands from the sleeve to get the uniquly keyed Toro pin to fit.

A few issues with it

reverse and 1st gear dont engage when the auger is on.

Only get power to one tire, is that how this thrower works?

Gearbox lube, do I need to change or check it?

Any other maintenance I can do on the machine?

Last edited by wi_snowmobiler; 08-26-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-27-2019, 07:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 247
Likes (Received): 290

Love this model with the Briggs!

With an impeller kit they throw really well. (based on on my 5/24 which looks to have the same design, only smaller)

Is the wheel pin going through the axle of the un-driven wheel?

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #3 of 4 Old 08-27-2019, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi_snowmobiler View Post
Attachment 156745
I am a proud owner of an early model 38090 (1132) snowthrower. It's my first thrower and has served well so far. Repair has been fun. Discovered the drive chain is unobtainable after the master link broke apart with 8 inches on the ground waiting for us. All shops exhausted I luckily ran into a master link at True Value that was same size, although I had to grind out a few thousands from the sleeve to get the uniquly keyed Toro pin to fit.

A few issues with it

reverse and 1st gear dont engage when the auger is on.

Only get power to one tire, is that how this thrower works?

Gearbox lube, do I need to change or check it?

Any other maintenance I can do on the machine?
First and reverse should engage when the auger is on, why is this happening I do not know until I see some pics of the insides. when both those black handle knobs are down both clutchs should be engaged and turning. need some vids of what is going on there also. gear box more than likely the seals are gone with the Schwinn so they will need replacement. so that means a tear down is in order. as 4 the lube use 80/90 non syn gear oil. the seals will not hold the syn stuff. I would sand it, prime and paint over the rust that has built up on it thru the years also. so post pics and/or vids of these problems that are presenting themselves onto us here. so I can come up with a battle plan 4 those things.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the advise. The clutch wasnt fully engaged hence no traction in a wheel. Got that solved.
Amazed it starts ike a champ after quarter turn of starter!
Teardown of gearbox sounds cumbersome maybe next summer project hopefully it has another winter in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in