Toro Powershift 1332 that I got for $150. Newest addition to the fleet. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-24-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 11
Garage
Toro Powershift 1332 that I got for $150. Newest addition to the fleet.

Hey all. About 2 months ago I picked up this Toro Powershift 1332. I couldn't pass it up, because I managed to get it for $150 and its in descent shape and is fully operational. I always wanted a machine that had the Tecumseh 13 horsepower engine, as it was the biggest they ever made. From what I understand, these are some of the best snowblowers Toro ever made and in general one of the better snowblower ever made. From what I understand these machines were close to $3000 new at the end.
I also understand if you want you can get a differntial kit for these monsters. Is it worth getting it?
How well do the tires grab on these machines? Chains arent necessary right?
What is the overall opinion on these units for those who own and use them? I saw the Undertaker really likes them. How well does that powershift perform? Was the 32 the widest one they made? Or did they go to 36 like Ariens does. I am very impressed with the heavy duty transmission it has instead of a friction disk, I know Ariens only offers those on their commercial blowers and they are big bucks. Who made the trans, peerless, general? I couldn't see going above 32, but am curious as if to they made a 36. Thanks. Was it a good buy? I think so, can't wait to flex its muscles this winter.
The only thing I can see is the auger was repainted and it was oversprayed onto the sides inside, that will be addressed. How well do the drum style augers la king shear bolts perform, is their ever been an issue with that? The unit had a ton of torque, I had the bucket in the air, in fourth I went to move in fourth and thst machine pulled me hard as it came down! Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_161823_1569349329213.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	157201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_162106_1569349387664.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	157203   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_161800_1569349568827.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	157205   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_161829_1569349830911.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	157207   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_161834_1569349950559.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	157209  

Name:	20190730_162058_1569350027942.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	157211   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_162159_1569350088196.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	157213  

1983 Simplicity 870
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
That already has the diffy kit in it. 32 was the widest they made. TORO Does not use THOSE BLOODY FREAKING SHEER PINS. Grade 5 or Stainless steel which is the same as Grade 5. No you do not need chains on it those Tires will go through and over everything. Yeah they were around 3 grand at the end.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 15 Old 09-24-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
That already has the diffy kit in it. 32 was the widest they made. TORO Does not use THOSE BLOODY FREAKING SHEER PINS. Grade 5 or Stainless steel which is the same as Grade 5. No you do not need chains on it those Tires will go through and over everything. Yeah they were around 3 grand at the end.
Glad to hear it already has the diff kit, good. I will be adding an LED headlight to it.
How well does this tank perform? I see they say it throws up to 40 feet. If I go thru 2 feet of heavy wet snow at the EOD, does it bog or keep asking for more?
Only thing I wish it had was the T handle to control deflector throwing distance. I will probably add one as I have a spare T handle laying around. Hows that Tranny bulletproof, who made the Trans? Thanks, undertaker, or should I say powershift93 lol. I see you like these a lot. Does anyone come close to these machine's or are they the true king in your opinion. Yea I really cant wait to try this beast, I hope we get a good snowfall this winter, i know its early yet. I do some snow removal, this will lead the pack, behind my other units.
Since its using grafe 8 bolts, if a newspaper jams inside, what just remove the bolts so the auger turns free to get it out? Also if I were to hit something hard, lacking shear bolts the augers wont get bent or the gear box wont take on damage. Thats my only true concern using this commercially, ovjects I can't see because I'm not familiar with the layout, newspapers being the biggest issue...

1983 Simplicity 870

Last edited by Dusty; 09-24-2019 at 05:16 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-24-2019, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Glad to hear it already has the diff kit, good. I will be adding an LED headlight to it.
How well does this tank perform? I see they say it throws up to 40 feet. If I go thru 2 feet of heavy wet snow at the EOD, does it bog or keep asking for more?
Only thing I wish it had was the T handle to control deflector throwing distance. I will probably add one as I have a spare T handle laying around. Hows that Tranny bulletproof, who made the Trans? Thanks, undertaker, or should I say powershift93 lol. I see you like these a lot. Does anyone come close to these machine's or are they the true king in your opinion. Yea I really cant wait to try this beast, I hope we get a good snowfall this winter, i know its early yet. I do some snow removal, this will lead the pack, behind my other units.
Since its using grafe 8 bolts, if a newspaper jams inside, what just remove the bolts so the auger turns free to get it out? Also if I were to hit something hard, lacking shear bolts the augers wont get bent or the gear box wont take on damage. Thats my only true concern using this commercially, ovjects I can't see because I'm not familiar with the layout, newspapers being the biggest issue...
The engine will stall out if you hit something. it will chuck it futher than 40ft with the right snow. BEST SNOWBLOWER EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!! Pearless made the tranny. as long as the grease is in there it will be fine. there is a thread around here some where I wrote about 6 years ago. but I have no clue on how to find that. BROTHER GRUNT is the man at finding old threads around here. JPILK99 is the guy that started that thread. send GRUNT a message about this. He is 1 of my FRIENDS in my profile. I Know HE will be able to Dig it up from the DEAD PILE.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #5 of 15 Old 09-24-2019, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 167
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 579
I don't even bother with an impeller kit with mine...don't need it...
post #6 of 15 Old 09-25-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
The engine will stall out if you hit something. it will chuck it futher than 40ft with the right snow. BEST SNOWBLOWER EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!! Pearless made the tranny. as long as the grease is in there it will be fine. there is a thread around here some where I wrote about 6 years ago. but I have no clue on how to find that. BROTHER GRUNT is the man at finding old threads around here. JPILK99 is the guy that started that thread. send GRUNT a message about this. He is 1 of my FRIENDS in my profile. I Know HE will be able to Dig it up from the DEAD PILE. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ok.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ok.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ok.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ok.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ok.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ok.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ok.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ok.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ok.gif[/IMG]
Excellent, peerless was the best when it came to transmission's, so I'm glad to hear that. Yes it appears to be one of the better blowers from that era, along with Snapper, Simplicity and Ariens, but only Toro had the tranny, powershift feature and that big drum style auger. I can't wait to see this unit in action.

1983 Simplicity 870
post #7 of 15 Old 09-25-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I don't even bother with an impeller kit with mine...don't need it...
Good, I wont bother with it. My Snapper never needed the impeller kit either, the gap was very thin, outleast when it was new, over time wear and bending causes the gap to grow, but if the Impeller is in good shape, I wont mess with it. So far the only machine I added one too was a Murray/Noma made Craftsman that I ended up selling, the gap on that was over a 1/4 inch outleast without any wear. If it doesn't need it, I don't bother.

1983 Simplicity 870
post #8 of 15 Old 09-26-2019, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Nice score on that one
I second that on not needing chains or the impeller kit. I have a 1332 and it eats snow like crazy. I just wish it had come factory with a headlight so adding an LED would be so much simpler. I'm out in the country and there aren't any street lights out at my EOD pile or along the 300' drive for that matter. Some kind of light is pretty important in my situation.
If you are worried about the bolts in the augers you can go to stainless steel with some matching nylock nuts. Besids being grade 5 they also wouldn't seize in place.
Are they the best ??? Just depends on who you ask. They are a very heavy tank, well built and they will move a bunch of snow. I haven't owned a Honda or Yamaha so I don't have a way to compare but as far as Ariens I think the PS has an edge. Compared to everything else the PS is way ahead IMHO. The big thing is the differential. I have older 32" JD, JDs with and without diffs same with 70s 32" Ariens and the difference is pretty noticeable. I think the only way to make it better is if it had steering. Something this big it would be nice to have trigger steering so the blower is doing more of the work when you go to swing it 180. Again that's just my 2 cents.

The Toro web site will have PDFs of the manual. https://www.toro.com/en/parts
Multi part instructions on the transmission:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015 Toro PowerShift 1332 left side.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	157281  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #9 of 15 Old 09-26-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Cool, nice machine. I'm glad to be a part of the PS club, yes these seem to be some very well built units, in my opinion much better than the New Toros, their okay, but I'm not a fan of all the plastic or that Chinese engine their using. How do you like that powershift feature? Does it work great to dig hard into places like the EOD and tall heavy packed snow?
I'm glad I don't have to add chains, thats a first for me, all my other blowers required them, especially the older Ariens with the normal diamond treaded turf tires, those blowers are horrible without the chains, but with the chains she will barrel thru anything. I have been meaning to get the X tracs for it, but now with the PS, I wont need to, I'll just leave my chains on my Ariens.
I see they make a 420cc Briggs which is rated at 14hp. Can anyone tell me if it really has more power than the big 358cc 13hp Tecumseh. From what I hear even at 358, the 13hp Tecumseh is a pretty close match to the 420cc Briggs which is now the biggest engine offered, whereas, at the time, the 13hp, 358 Tecumseh was the biggest, it appears even with a bit less displacement, its design has a lot of power.
My PS doesn't have that chute guard like yours has, it was removed, but that isnt really necessary right, just common sense, don't put your hand down in their. Plus I could see that getting in my way, if I had to clear a clog or something with my stick.
I'll be sure to spray the Teflon spray into the bucket and chute before the first snowfall and let it fly! I know most don't, but I always hope for plenty of snow in the winter in my business.
My first order of business is to add a headlight. I have a spare stock one laying around I will use with an LED bulb to start and eventually buy the nice bright led bar lights and add the rectifier to it doesn't flicker or burn out, as shown on the Donyboy73 channel. I also use a very bright strap on head cole minor style LED light, their great, because they go where you go without carrying it in your hand.

1983 Simplicity 870

Last edited by Dusty; 09-26-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hi everyone. Im from southern ontario. Im looking to buy my first snowblower, a used one. From reading this forum I noticed to go with ariens, toro or honda. Honda is out of the question as it is too much for my budget.

Im looking at this toro 1332 powershift online. My question is how is the gears likely to break or other parts? Is the parts still available in case the blower breaks? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in