LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 824XL (38083) SN 8xxxxxx

The retaining ring that secures the traction wheel to the slider assembly keeps slipping off resulting in the friction wheel free floating along the hex shaft. I replaced the retaining ring but it did not fix the issue. I do not see a slot within the hub traction disk to receive the retaining ring so only surface friction of the retaining ring is securing traction wheel to slider assembly. Is the shaft diameter if the hub traction disc worn down thus making the retaining ring ineffective?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 07:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1194
Post some pics of this problem. That is presenting itself onto the masses at hand here.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here are a few pictures showing the components involved and the issue. The washer and retaining ring end up coming1off the hub traction disk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_191159_1572563719199.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	158297   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_191229_1572563735256.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	158299   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_191204_1572563750700.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	158301  
post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Maybe if I turn the retaining ring around it will catch better. I can see in the picture what seems to be a channel for the retaining ring. I also just read that the retaining ring is to have its sharp edge away from hub traction disc. Hard to determine by just looking at it so I will rotate the retaining ring and see if that works.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-01-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Toro 824XL (38083) reverse issues

Retaining ring comes off as a result of snowblower jumping/ vibrating when engaged in reverse. What would make the traction wheel jump/ vibrate. Works fine in forward gears. ??
post #6 of 12 Old 11-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 133
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 990
Likes (Received): 228
Garage
Is the hex shaft bushing on the left side of the picture badly worn? It appears to be in your pictures or it could be my lousy eyesight. And yes, I would think there would be a groove for the snap ring although I have never had an 824XL on her bucket.

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #7 of 12 Old 11-01-2019, 04:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 68
Likes (Received): 206
@kricher,

In one of those photos, I can see the slot that would hold a snap-ring, but the snap-ring you are showing looks to wide (thick) for the snap-ring channel. That channel is up close to the housing of the bracket. Not sure if someone jury rigged it at some point?

I assume you have a pair of snap ring pliers? As that is how you expand it while you slide it onto the shaft and "snap" it in its slot. Not sure if that washer is the correct one either, and thus preventing the snap-ring from properly installing, if indeed that is the correct snap-ring.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 4
kricher, in the bottom picture which shows the rubber friction disk it looks to me like a portion of the surface of the rubber friction disk is broken off, this would cause a lot of vibration when the traction drive is engaged. It doesn't look to me like there is a groove for a retaining ring, it looks like there is just a shoulder for the retaining ring to sit against (that's how mine is, see below). When you got the replacement retaining ring did you notice if the new ring was a tighter fit on the shaft? There might be enough room for two retaining rings, that might help, particularly if the gear shift rod is adjusted properly, see below.

I too have a 824XL that I bought last year (mine is a 1997, yours is a 1998). Because of your post I looked at the mechanism in my machine. In the process of investigating my machine (I had it up in the service position) I noticed that when the gear selector was in 5th gear or R2 (I don't remember which) it was difficult to spin the wheels but in all other gears the wheels spun easily. I was able to adjust the gear shift rod so that the wheels spun freely in all gears. Maybe your machine is similar and misadjustment is causing is too much pressure on the sliding ring assembly which pushes the retaining ring off when in R2 with the disk at the limit of its travel. The previous owner of my machine must have had a similar problem with keeping the retaining ring on the shaft, there is a small hole drilled into the shaft where the retaining ring sits and a small steel pin was inserted into the hole, this prevents the ring from sliding off, but I don't consider it a satisfactory solution. I've also found that there are three versions of the hub-traction disk (what the friction disk bolts to and slides on the hex shaft) 94-8885 (1997?), superseded to 98-2255, and finally 95-7931 which DOES have a wide groove for the retaining ring, it is the only part still available ($240!!!). I am considering some other options for capturing the retaining ring on the shaft but I need to do some more investigation.

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212 Hemi, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824 Power Throw XL
post #9 of 12 Old 11-12-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Traction wheel jumps when in reverse resulting in snap ring coming off releasing traction wheel free. What would cause this to happen??
post #10 of 12 Old 11-12-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did notice a small depression in the rubber of the friction wheel so I am going to replace it and then make adjustments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page