LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-18-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro CCR2450 Engine surging BADLY

So I have a CCR2450. I got rid of the garbage plastic carburetor because it was leaking gas. New primer bulb, spark plug and metal carb. At first I didn't have the governor linkage connected and it was revving to high ****. Now that it's connected the engine surges pretty badly. All the gaskets seem to be in great shape. Could a vacuum leak from the carb to engine really cause the linkage to move like that and surge?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nQb...ew?usp=sharing

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Don juan; 12-18-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-19-2019, 12:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 3
Replace crank shaft seals, they are leaking air into the crankcase causing motor to run lean and surge.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-19-2019, 01:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 183
not best video, same as yours with a fix

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks SayItAintSnow thanked for this post
post #4 of 10 Old 12-20-2019, 09:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don juan View Post
So I have a CCR2450. I got rid of the garbage plastic carburetor because it was leaking gas. New primer bulb, spark plug and metal carb. At first I didn't have the governor linkage connected and it was revving to high ****. Now that it's connected the engine surges pretty badly. All the gaskets seem to be in great shape. Could a vacuum leak from the carb to engine really cause the linkage to move like that and surge?

Question:
when you replaced the plastic carb, which carb did you replace it with? From Briggs (I'm assuming it is an R-Tek) or aftermarket China made?

reason why I ask:
only problem I have had with my '98 3000 GTS was similar, uncontrolled revving like that, I tried rebuilding the carb to no avail. Then I learned that on this Suzuki 47 P engine, the Mikuni carbs can get wear on the throttle shaft that causes a vacuum leak that results in this problem. So I spent the money ($82 if I recall) on a genuine made in Japan Mikuni and no more problems, and that was probably about 8 years ago. Comparing the carbs you can feel a bit of play in the throttle shaft of the old one.

did it surge like that with the plastic carb? If not then it could be the carb you installed.
the aftermarket is great for saving money but some is good and some ain't.

I also replaced an original carb on my 2002 or so Echo leaf blower because the original could not be cleaned. I got an Echo oe carb, a bit more money but that was approx. 5 years ago and it starts every time.

1998 Toro 3000 GTS with Suzuki 47p 2 cycle
post #5 of 10 Old 12-20-2019, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 142
Likes (Received): 57
Garage
Welcome DJ to the SBF from Gettysburg!

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
post #6 of 10 Old 12-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33006 View Post
Replace crank shaft seals, they are leaking air into the crankcase causing motor to run lean and surge.

i would start with the easier items to check. especially the parts that he has already messed with.

Rather than go into something as extreme as pulling the engine and replacing seals.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don juan View Post

i work on alot of these toro ccr blowers. i tried a cheap metal carb from Amazon or ebay and i beleve it surged or didnt run right.

i use alot of these cheap carbs on other blowers but for some reason i didnt have luck with them on the toro's

ever since then i keep the plastic carb and change the needle and seat Part 801317 Rtek engine CCR2450 CCR3650 Toro Snowblower.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Carbure...YAAOxyRNJSfFdE

i bet if you throw the original carb back on and hook it up right it wont surge. the needle and seat will take care of the leaking.

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS621 GX160
Toro 621 6hp 4 cycle ....Craftsman SS ???
....Honda HS624 GX160 Toro 828 lxe Tecumseh 8hp
post #8 of 10 Old 12-20-2019, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 45
Likes (Received): 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post

Vinny,

Don't be modest.... That video was a great find. Such a simple tip, and yet look at the difference in how that little R-tek ran!

It is bizarre sometimes how much a slightly mis-shapened governor linkage can drastically affect the performance of engines on OPE.

For example, I have one of those old Scotts lawn tractors from way back, that were made my J.D. After I rebuilt the carb, it ran o.k. but wasn't quite perfect. It didn't seem to adjust the rpm up and down quite like it should have when the tractor went from a heavier load (like going uphill) to a lighter load. Also when I adjusted the throttle control to low idle, it wouldn't slow down as much as it should have.

By chance, (or maybe just dumb luck), I came across a picture of the governor linkage on the internet, for that B&S 17hp engine. I looked at the linkage on the tractor, and it looked virtually the same, but I took it off anyway. I then noticed that one of the normal bends in the link appeared to be just slightly off....and I'm talking practically nothing...just the tiniest difference. So, I bent the linkage so it appeared to match the picture as exactly as I could get it, recognizing that I was looking at a two-dimensional picture vs. a three-dimensional real linkage.

Long story short, I put the link back on, and that old tractor ran like a watch and has done so for another two years so far.

Moral of the story is, sometimes the tiniest things can make a big difference!.

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
post #9 of 10 Old 12-23-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33006 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post

https://youtu.be/qMDz6IJBwPQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Question:
when you replaced the plastic carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
i would start with the easier items to check. especially the parts that he has already messed with.

Rather than go into something as extreme as pulling the engine and replacing seals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSnow View Post
Vinny,
Don't be modest....
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I replaced all the gaskets between the manifold-intake and carburetor. The surging went away! It was a cheap $15 carb off ebay.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oju...ew?usp=sharing
post #10 of 10 Old 12-23-2019, 08:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 277
Likes (Received): 173
glad you got it running, thanks for updating all on what worked.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724 with Predator 212cc, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page