Toro 1232 auger gearbox: what to use for gasket - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-15-2020, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 1232 auger gearbox: what to use for gasket

The Toro 1232 restoration continues. I disassembled the auger gearbox and replaced the seals. There is no gasket and just the faintest trace of green. The halves are in good shape and ready to go back together. Permatex black? Other? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 08:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
TORO Specs Hylomar Sealant. Or this stuff which is almost the same stuff. https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...2oz/166684_0_0

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gibbs296 thanked for this post
post #3 of 17 Old 01-17-2020, 02:41 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 1217
Likes (Received): 297
Garage
Thanks Todd, I have to look at the gearbox on one of my parts machines and couldn't remember what to use!

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #4 of 17 Old 01-17-2020, 02:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 22
Cool

Saw a video on that not long ago. They suggested a sealer called Right Stuff by Permatex. Haven't had to do any auger work yet but I fabbed a couple of auger support bars as mods. Painted and installed them on both machines. (probably should have powder coated them but I wanted to see how they looked) Used an existing bolt on the auger housing to attach the bottom and drilled holes in the top of the bucket for the top. No sign of leaking lube but I'm keeping an eye on it. Right Stuff is what I will be using. P.S. I noticed that the bolts holding the housing together were siliconed as well. Guess I'll pick up some 00 lube for general maintenance to keep them topped off.

Last edited by BlowerMods1; 01-17-2020 at 08:59 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Repair project update and more questions: I got the Permatex brand of Hylomar substitute as suggested by Powershift93. Thank you for that recommendation. Parts are cleaned up and everything looks good. New seals pressed into the gear case halves. In the past I have cleaned the aluminum mating surfaces with 400 grit sandpaper laid flat. Just wondering how you guys do it and if there is a better way. Also, I've read up on proper use of RTV but could use some guidance. Best I can tell, you put on a small continuous bead, reassemble finger tight, wait an hour and then torque. Just curious if this is correct? Thank you!!
post #6 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 04:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeb02 View Post
Repair project update and more questions: I got the Permatex brand of Hylomar substitute as suggested by Powershift93. Thank you for that recommendation. Parts are cleaned up and everything looks good. New seals pressed into the gear case halves. In the past I have cleaned the aluminum mating surfaces with 400 grit sandpaper laid flat. Just wondering how you guys do it and if there is a better way. Also, I've read up on proper use of RTV but could use some guidance. Best I can tell, you put on a small continuous bead, reassemble finger tight, wait an hour and then torque. Just curious if this is correct? Thank you!!
Funny you should ask that. I just rebuilt the gear case on "JR". Did you put in a new real seal????????????? Take the Gorilla blue snot coat both sides of the case and tighten them down to spec. which off the top of my head I do not remember what that is. and it is all right if some of that Gorilla snot comes out of the seams.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did not know there was a real seal? A gasket?
post #8 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 06:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I did not know there was a real seal? A gasket?
Yes there is a rear seal. If there is not 1 in there the gear oil will run out the back.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The service manual covers only a previous model auger gear box with 4 screws and an interlocking channel all around the perimeter. Mine is the newer style with 10 bolts and no channel. Mating surfaces are flat. The service manual mentions an upcoming service bulletin regarding a different sealant for newer models. I double checked and don't see a gasket on the parts diagrams I have.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 06:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
The service manual covers only a previous model auger gear box with 4 screws and an interlocking channel all around the perimeter. Mine is the newer style with 10 bolts and no channel. Mating surfaces are flat. The service manual mentions an upcoming service bulletin regarding a different sealant for newer models. I double checked and don't see a gasket on the parts diagrams I have.
There is no gasket between the halfs. you have the 2 side seals and a rear seal.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page