LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-18-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
New 826 OAE User - Autosteer Question

Hello all - first post from a new member...

I just used my new 826 OAE for the second time today and I am not convinced I am a fan of the auto steer on this thing. It is tricky to control on my half-circle driveway. I find that I have fighting to keep it on a consistent line (or more accurately a consistent curve) as I follow the perimeter of my driveway. I have to assume that this is the nature of the auto steer - since I am following a curve and not going in a straight line, the diff is opening up and wanting to make a harder turn than I want to.

I adjusted the skids today because the first time out I picked up a lot of gravel at the base of my driveway (which isn't paved), and I made sure the pressure in both tires was the same (15 PSI). I know now that this is below the spec from the manual (17-20 psi), so I will adjust this to a higher pressure next time out. They were about 20 and 23 to start.

Is this just the nature of the beast in this case? My previous snow blower was a Toro Power Throw 622, which I had pulled the pin from one side after the first or second use, and it stayed that way for the 20 years I owned it. I was used to the steering on that one after so many years, so maybe this is just something that takes getting used to? This one is a lot heavier and larger than the 622, so I hoped the auto steer would work for me.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Should I just pull a pin on this one and see if that helps (assuming that this is possible)? I haven't checked to see if there is a pin to pull on these wheels.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-18-2020, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4368
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
to SBF spiff72

I don't have any experience with Toro auto steer so I'll let someone who has take this one.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-18-2020, 10:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 4
I have the same exact same 826 with auto steer. The auto steer was OK when I first got it but after reading advice from people on this site I switched out the standard steel skid shoes that came with it for some Toro poly skid shoes. It made all the difference. Basically transformed the snowblower and how the auto steer performed. The poly skid shoes slide much easier and makes the auto steer behave MUCH better. I don’t know why all auto steer snowblowers aren’t equipped with poly skids from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Deere TRS 24
John Deere 928E
John Deere 1330se
Briggs and Stratton 1227MD
Toro 826 OAE
post #4 of 5 Old 01-19-2020, 05:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 142
Likes (Received): 57
Garage
Throwing the welcome mat from Gettysburg, Penna...

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
post #5 of 5 Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotaman82 View Post
I have the same exact same 826 with auto steer. The auto steer was OK when I first got it but after reading advice from people on this site I switched out the standard steel skid shoes that came with it for some Toro poly skid shoes. It made all the difference. Basically transformed the snowblower and how the auto steer performed. The poly skid shoes slide much easier and makes the auto steer behave MUCH better. I don’t know why all auto steer snowblowers aren’t equipped with poly skids from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks - I will look into getting a pair of those.

My other issue is that the engine surges when under load. (Which seems to be the opposite problem that most people seem to have (surging at idle). I need to look into this one a bit more. The gas is only about 2 months old (bought this new and bought new gas and put Stabil in it, and then waited 2 months for snow to come (to be expected when buying a new snowblower!).

I might have to post this one in a new thread to see if it gets any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page