LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-04-2020, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
So Toro blowers don't got shear pins?

Well apparently those bolts are not shear pins, but in practice that's what it did for me a few days ago. I was plowing through wet snow and lots of it, it wasn't going very well at all. Strange I thought as the blower usually handled worse without problem.

Eventually I hit a rock that wedged itself between the bottom of the intake and the auger. I didn't know what happened but I saw it started working even less effectively. I shut it off and took a look and saw the bolt had sheared through on the left side.

Toro claims the motor would shut down first, but the bolt broke here. And good thing it did I guess or I would have been without a gear box.

I also think the problems I had earlier was because another pin had broken, to the impeller. The impeller now just spins freely and doesn't move either, goes back and forth on the shaft. I was just too darn fed up with it to look closer but I am pretty sure there is another pin that has sheared in there...

What material are the bolts for the augers, regular 8.8 ?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Eyeboltman thanked for this post
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-04-2020, 04:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 743
Likes (Received): 266
toro uses USA grade 5- 5/16 bolts on the auger and grade 5- 1/4 impeller. grade 8 -1/4 inch to hold the wheel to the axle. as to breaking bolts i gave up counting how many i have had break,
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2020, 06:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
Some one more than likely put those BLOODY FREAKING SHEER PINS in there. I have sucked up stuff with "SR' and the motor always stalls out. : yahoo:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 9 Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
Well apparently those bolts are not shear pins, but in practice that's what it did for me a few days ago. I was plowing through wet snow and lots of it, it wasn't going very well at all. Strange I thought as the blower usually handled worse without problem.

Eventually I hit a rock that wedged itself between the bottom of the intake and the auger. I didn't know what happened but I saw it started working even less effectively. I shut it off and took a look and saw the bolt had sheared through on the left side.

Toro claims the motor would shut down first, but the bolt broke here. And good thing it did I guess or I would have been without a gear box.

I also think the problems I had earlier was because another pin had broken, to the impeller. The impeller now just spins freely and doesn't move either, goes back and forth on the shaft. I was just too darn fed up with it to look closer but I am pretty sure there is another pin that has sheared in there...

What material are the bolts for the augers, regular 8.8 ?
If it was not chucking the Snow right. better have a Looksee at that Belt or some thing else in there.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I checked and it's a gold yellowish bolt, same on both sides. I figured it was probably an imperial (I couldn't say for sure as this machine uses imperial and metric seemingly randomly) but that I could probably get "close enough" with a metric bolt, 5/16s is quite close to an M8.

If not I have a metal lathe and can turn my own pins if I need to.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-04-2020, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
If it was not chucking the Snow right. better have a Looksee at that Belt or some thing else in there.
I've had the belt come off several times before because of tuning issues and the thing sometimes revving too fast. I've fortunately solved that problem by changing the governor link adjustment.

But I am familiar with belt problems and this was not it. What I think happened is the pin to the impeller broke before the bolt on the auger did.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2020, 07:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I checked and it's a gold yellowish bolt, same on both sides. I figured it was probably an imperial (I couldn't say for sure as this machine uses imperial and metric seemingly randomly) but that I could probably get "close enough" with a metric bolt, 5/16s is quite close to an M8.

If not I have a metal lathe and can turn my own pins if I need to.
That be a cadium plated bolt then. just put a stainless steel 5/16 by 2 inch with a SS Nylock nut on there.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 9 Old 02-04-2020, 08:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I've had the belt come off several times before because of tuning issues and the thing sometimes revving too fast. I've fortunately solved that problem by changing the governor link adjustment.

But I am familiar with belt problems and this was not it. What I think happened is the pin to the impeller broke before the bolt on the auger did.
if you have a powermax,it has TWO 1/4 x20 bolts on it's impeller, each has a 3/8 high spacer
post #9 of 9 Old 02-04-2020, 09:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
toro's bolt kit

Last edited by 87powershiftx2; 02-19-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page