post #1 of 11 Old 02-09-2020, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Question Overheating hand grips

Hi everyone

I purchased last year a Toro 1028 OXHE, an awesome machine. As many drivers, I replaced the original halogen projector by two LED lights, and I purchased a big rocker switch to control them, just to avoid to blind the car drivers on my street. I purchased a stud terminal strip and I rewired the snowblower to complete the job.

I noticed the heated grips are wired in serial from factory; I re-wired them into parallel circuit. Since, they are much hotter than before, I cannot stand my hands on the grips after 5 minutes. Wired in serial or parallel, they are supposed to pull the same amperage and then give off the same amount of heat.

Does it have an influence or not, the way you wire your grips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-09-2020, 01:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Arcand View Post
Hi everyone

I purchased last year a Toro 1028 OXHE, an awesome machine. As many drivers, I replaced the original halogen projector by two LED lights, and I purchased a big rocker switch to control them, just to avoid to blind the car drivers on my street. I purchased a stud terminal strip and I rewired the snowblower to complete the job.

I noticed the heated grips are wired in serial from factory; I re-wired them into parallel circuit. Since, they are much hotter than before, I cannot stand my hands on the grips after 5 minutes. Wired in serial or parallel, they are supposed to pull the same amperage and then give off the same amount of heat.

Does it have an influence or not, the way you wire your grips?
Yes it makes a huge difference... You add the ohms together in series..in parallel you would divide by two in this case considering they would be identical.
That would be one fourth the resistance of stock...you need to put them back in series as they were/ as that circuit will try to draw four times as much current as designed..I expect the only thing saving it is the system under the flywheel can't provide the load and has a large voltage drop as a result.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

Last edited by Shovel; 02-09-2020 at 01:36 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-09-2020, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Was something like this I thought could be the problem. But what a difference! In serial, heat is poor, so low I ain't sure it was running. What if I add a resistance on the line?

White M53K2 (5/24) - sold
Toro PowerMax 726 OXE - sold
Toro PowerMax 1028 OXHE
Toro Power Shovel
post #4 of 11 Old 02-09-2020, 01:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Was something like this I thought could be the problem. But what a difference! In serial, heat is poor, so low I ain't sure it was running. What if I add a resistance on the line?
You could...however most resisters are rated for very low wattage.
What is the current resistance of a grip by itself seperated from the rest of the circuit?

Also the engine needs to run wide open to get the benefit of heated grips...Was the engine running wide open with the grips in the stock configuration?

Last edited by Shovel; 02-09-2020 at 01:45 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2020, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'll measure the resistance tomorrow; if I can add on-line a potentiometer this could solve this high heat / no heat issue; set it at level you need and it's alright. And my engine always run wide open (rabbit level).

Toro PowerMax 1028 OXHE
Toro Power Shovel
post #6 of 11 Old 02-09-2020, 02:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I'll measure the resistance tomorrow; if I can add on-line a potentiometer this could solve this high heat / no heat issue; set it at level you need and it's alright. And my engine always run wide open (rabbit level).
I wouldn't get to carried away ...aim perhaps just a little over in wattage compared to what is was stock..I doubt the system will live long under the flywheel in an overloaded condition.

post #7 of 11 Old 02-09-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
3.5 ohms each grip. About the overload, it is truly possible that the circuit could be overload with this configuration. The halogen lamp OE in the projector is 37.5 watts and with the right mounting, this circuit drags 4.5 amps, while the grips in a parallel mounting raises the amperage to 6 amps, according to the voltage supply of the generator at 12 volts (right?). I replaced the halogen lamp with 2 LED lamps and the total of both is 32 watts; I won some miliamps.

Is this generator able to supply 6 amps easily or am I already over the limit? That's the question.

Toro PowerMax 1028 OXHE
Toro Power Shovel
post #8 of 11 Old 02-09-2020, 07:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
3.5 ohms each grip. About the overload, it is truly possible that the circuit could be overload with this configuration. The halogen lamp OE in the projector is 37.5 watts and with the right mounting, this circuit drags 4.5 amps, while the grips in a parallel mounting raises the amperage to 6 amps, according to the voltage supply of the generator at 12 volts (right?). I replaced the halogen lamp with 2 LED lamps and the total of both is 32 watts; I won some miliamps.

Is this generator able to supply 6 amps easily or am I already over the limit? That's the question.
That's is good question..I ended up with a little under 7 amps.
5 amps is what most people say they are rated at

Go to an auto parts supply store and get a ballast resistor for an old dodge... Just pick an old random one ... Say 69 Plymouth fury..if they ask.
Wire that in series to your grips wired in parallel.. it will give you an extra ohm or so and put you close to the five amp mark

post #9 of 11 Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 146
Likes (Received): 286
With that much draw you’ll burnout the stator

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Finally decided to leave it as it was built; could add a potentiometer and a resistance on the grip power line to secure, but at the end it won't worth the trouble. Used my snowblower tonight by -20, with a pair of workgloves and these low heat grips and it was done. Will keep my two LED lights, on this side I have a gain. Thanks everyone.

Toro PowerMax 1028 OXHE
Toro Power Shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Shovel liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page