post #1 of 34 Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
harbor freight engine swap

Newbi here,
I bought a harbor fright engine 212cc to replace my Tecumseh engine on a Toro 524 model 38040, after taking the engine off; I realized the rod for the pulley on the new engine is smaller than the Tecumseh engine, and the new engine does not come with a pulley. Any help, advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Most likely you will need to have one made. I just did a repower using a toro 3521 and the tecumseh had the same exact shaft size. What is the shaft size on the origional toro you are using. You may be able to find a pulley on ebay from a simular snowblower like a 3521 that has the same shaft as the new predator and same design of the old pulley.

3 Ariens 522 Single Stage
Toro 3521 Repowered with a 6.5hp
Craftsman 521 (selling)

other toys
Troybuilt Horse 70s or 80s model
Troybuilt Econo-horse
John Deere Jx75
John Deere Js46
John Deere 111

and a few other parts machines.
post #3 of 34 Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 334
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 754
My advice is:
return the Harbor Freight engine, and look for a used Tecumseh with the same specs.
(doesnt have to be the *exact* same model or HP, just close enough that things match up..)

And a 20-year old Tecumseh will, in most cases, be twice the quality a new Harbor Freight engine will ever be..even when factoring in the age and usage difference.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 34 Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Just go and buy a 1" to 3/4" bushing to put it on the rod. The reason you replaced your tecumseh is the reason everyone does. They are total crap. They were crap 30-40 years ago.....and they are still crap today. The American consumer had no other choice and companies like tecumseh took advantage of the consumer selling them a poorly designed substandard product for top dollar pricing. Thank God for people like China and Harbor Freight. It allows Americans to purchase excellent engines like Greyhound and Predator to repair things that would otherwise have to be thrown away due to the high cost of replacing the engines. Good luck with your repower and please post to let everyone know how that Predator runs compared to the tecumseh.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks toroblower thanked for this post
Likes toroblower liked this post
post #5 of 34 Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
My advice is:
return the Harbor Freight engine, and look for a used Tecumseh with the same specs.
(doesnt have to be the *exact* same model or HP, just close enough that things match up..)

And a 20-year old Tecumseh will, in most cases, be twice the quality a new Harbor Freight engine will ever be..even when factoring in the age and usage difference.

Scot
How in good conscience could you make a statement like that? What exactly in your mind makes the Tecumseh a better engine than a Honda clone? Please explain in detail. . . because I would truly like to be enlightened. I can't wait..... this will be great. I am gonna pop some popcorn so I have something to munch while reading.
post #6 of 34 Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Welcome to the forum

First off, welcome to the forum.

On the question of which is better, Tecumseh vs Clone; that's a question that it will take time to answer IMO.
I did buy a clone engine just to learn more on them. I have torn a number of Tecumseh's down so in some aspects I can speak somewhat to the Tecumseh's. Not saying one is better than the other but just things I've noted.
I've refurbished a few 30-40 year old Tecumsehs and I was amazed in some how little cylinder wear there was (admittedly a blower may not have much usage compared to something like a mower). I've torn one down where it looked to still have cross-hatching in the cylinder likely from the original manufacturing. The one thing I've noted, don't know if it's the gas or what, but almost every Tecumseh has alot of carbon buildup on the piston, vales and head. In all fairness, most were manufactured in the days of leaded gas. Most have had gummed up carbs, but that may be a matter of neglect or unleaded gas than anything else.
All the Tecumseh's I've worked on have had cast iron blocks. From what I've read, most if not all clones are using sleeved aluminum blocks. I've lifted a 10 hp clone and a 10 hp Tecumseh, there definitely is a weight difference between them.
Now having said that, I suspect the Clone may have technical advantages over the Tecumseh's design due to the OHV vs valves in the block. This argument can be taken back over 60 years when the OHV car engine came out vs the Ford flathead. Both can propel a vehicle but each has advantages.

I can't say that one is better nor worse than the other. Reality though is unless you find a NOS Tecumseh, if you want new it will be a clone of some type. Tecumseh's have time on their side, they've been out a long time and are still going strong in many cases.

I wouldn't rule Tecumseh's out, I have 8 or 9 machines in the shed right now with them and they run strong. Will the clones still be running in 30 or 40 years? I don't know but I doubt I'll live long enough to find out. You'll have to make up your own mind on that one.
post #7 of 34 Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
post #8 of 34 Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Thank You! Excellent sharing that information.
post #9 of 34 Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 334
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 754
Anything is better than a Harbor Freight honda clone..
Harbor freight honda clones are the lowest of the low..
the cheapest junkiest engines made..(not to mention borderline illegal)
Meanwhile, its a confirmed fact that many Tecumseh engines run 40 to 50 years without a hitch..
let me know how the Harbor Freight engine is doing in 40 years!

Scot

post #10 of 34 Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
First off I am a die hard old engine guy. soft spot for the old cast iron kohlers and wisconsin.

However no one can say whether or not the new clones are junk or not. only time will tell. some will blow up right away, some will last forever. just like I am sure not every old tecumseh always started and ran for 50 years when they first came out. I am sure there were some 4 pm on friday before a holiday weekend engines completed that didnt fair well.

When tecumseh first came around I am sure that there were many saying that they are junk and wont last.

Borderline illegal? I assume that you mean they are identical to the hondas. are the hondas all junk? I dont care for them because they arent american made but I admit they are far from junk.

Have you ran any of the new ones hard? I havent yet but intend to. I put one on a bluebird thatcher and come spring we will see how it does. was I happy about it? no but it needed an engine now. not when I could find an oldie that is still working hard to put on it.

I understand your passion for the old stuff but I am a little surprised at your response, your usually a little more level headed.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks toroboy thanked for this post
Likes toroboy liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page