LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
The BEAST is home!

Well I picked up my new to me 8-24 Powershift tonight, never thought I would get excited over a snow thrower! It's a little rough and needs some TLC but I got what I wanted. I was told it was around 10 years old, turns out it's a 1988. Overall it's in decent shape, the engine has rust on the shrouds, needs some carb work (loads up when running into packed snow), and the headlight doesn't work. It also has a problem with the power shift, it worked in one direction but not the other, just some gear griding noises. It's 2 degrees outside now so it'll have to wait until I get some time and the weather breaks to figure it out. The real plus is that it has electric start, the previous owner didn't think it did. It came from a landscaper so it probably has some hours on it but with the condition it seems to be in, I might be wrong. He did say they hated to use it because it was so heavy, that was the reason I wanted it!

I had to try it out and was pretty impressed, still have to learn how to use a 2 stage instead of my single stage. I've just downloaded the manuals from Toro, will spend some time reading up on things, I'm hoping the powerhsft problem is something simple, but if not that's OK, for what I paid for it, some new parts are to be expected.

Last edited by fibersport; 02-10-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: photo problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Thumbs up

Mazel tov on your purchase!!!!!! Let me know if i can be of service.....mahalo!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 17 Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Powershift93 - Any thoughts on the Powershift? It went into the rearmost position without too much problem, it won't go into the forward position at all. I even rolled it forward with no weight on the wheels and tried to get it to move and it didn't.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up

you are going to have adjust that reverse cable and the arm latch one. it tells you in the manual. check the chain slap on the tranny. it should be between 1/8 to 3/8 travel. stand it on the bucket to do that. make sure the gas is out. you don't want a haz mat problem. clean up the slop on the shifter rod to the tranny. LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES. MAHALO!!!!:coo l:
post #5 of 17 Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Part of me wants to get a power shift just because I like to master anything mechanical. I never realized Toro had such a good reputation until I joined this forum. I'd love to see pictures of how the power shift mechanism works. Maybe I could help you then. I had an experience with one of my blowers physically freezing this year. Maybe your trouble is that simple.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-12-2014, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Powershift93 - I'm hoping the cable adjustment is all it needs, who knows if it was ever touched, just hope that nothing is too worn out although I did see pretty much all the parts are available. Question for you - on the gearshift, how defined and tight is yours? I'm thinking I may need some new parts to tighten things up on mine as it seems to be real sloppy.

Scipper77 - Can't be a freezing issue, it was clean and dry. When it warms up, I'll see about some pictures or at least an explanation. I will say with only using mine for a short time that the powershift really makes the front end heavy, great for digging into the snow. Without shifting the wheels to the rear, it tends to ride up on the hard packed stuff.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
To really answer that question a 1-2 minute vid would help. There should be some pressure you feel when going through the gears. It might need a few things. Are all the nuts tight. I mean you should be able to feel it hitting the detents in the transmission. Not just flying by them. Check that plate that the bottom part of shift rod connects to the trans. That is a weak link. Let me know mahalo!!!
post #8 of 17 Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Congrats

Congrats on your blower. I'm sure you'll get it taken care of, and if you need help there are many people here that can likely give you the info you need.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up

REVERSE AND THE POWERSHIFT FEATURE ARE DONE VIA THE BELL CRANK ON TOP OF THE TRANS. I HAVE SAID THIS IN ANOTHER POWERSHIFT POST. CABLES GET STRECHED AND EVERY THING HAS A LIFE SPAN. INCLUDING US. SO SINCE IT HAS BEEN USED LIKE A RENTED MULE IT MIGHT NOT BE A BAD IDEA TO REPLACE THE REVERSE CABLE AND THE ARM LATCH CABLE. ANOTHER THING TO LOOK AT IS THE AXLE SWING ARM SEE IF THAT MOVES EASY AND CHECK FOR SLOP DOWN THERE. KEEP ME IN THE LOOP. MAHALO!!!!!!!!!!!!:c ool:
post #10 of 17 Old 02-13-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Spent some garage time tonight, managed to find what I think are the major problems. Carb flooding is due to a bad float, it has some gas in it. Carb kit was ordered a few days ago but will try to find a float locally for the weekend. Shifter issues were a very loose and sloppy shifter. I can feel the detents but after a closer look the nylon bushings where the bottom of the shifter is held to the plate are pretty worn, they'll work for awhile as I switched them but they still need to be replaced. Sloppy shifter II is caused by a missing spring that pulls the latch lever back. Powershift won't move axle forward - loose cable not pulling on whatever is buried underneath (choice of words is far from technical right now, sorry). Will look for a Toro dealer tomorrow, hopefully I can at least get a float, the other parts I can llive without right now. Still very happy with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page