LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
differential kit?

As most of you know, I just got a 824 powershift last week and just spent some time clearing my drive today. Turning it with the axle rearward is a bear, my shoulders will remind me in the morning! I've seen the differential kit and was wondering if anyone has it, not many hits on the search here. With the axle forward it's manageable but it's still a big machine. I'm wondering if potentially loosing traction is worth it. Too bad they didn't make it a posi-traction!

One other thing, can someone confirm that the fuel line is 1/4" ID. I have to replace the fuel shutoff as it tends to leak a little, probably a bad O-ring - unless it can be repaired I'll just get a plastic 90 degree shutoff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 07:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Thumbs up

try parts tree.com they might still have some. other wise let me know I have a few other places to try. the fuel line is 1/4. in that plastic tank were the shut off screws in there is a o ring in there. they are cheap a new plastic tank with shutoff is around 80 bucks MAHALO.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 07:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up

with that diff kit you would not lose traction going full bore ahead. it is meant to turn corners like a car.:coo l: MAHALO!!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My fuel line setup has a short section of hose from the tank to a 90 degree shutoff, then hose on to the carb. I left the thrower at our other house, figured someone would know for sure on the hose size.

Do you have a differential? I have found a couple of new ones, and one used one for much less than Parts Tree, I think I'll throw a want ad in the classifieds and see if anyone has one. I'm thinking I should pick one up now while they're available. Planning for when I hit retirement age, I won't be able to move this thing around as easy as I do now!
post #5 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
A lot of the older Ariens came with a differential standard if you want to get a second blower.

Also, 1/4" sounds right to me as well.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up

that shut off should screw into the bottom of the tank. if it don't someone got cute and modified it. if you are heading into retirement era of your life the last thing I would do is get a used one. that way you know it will serve u until u head to warmer places. 150.00 is not bad for that diff kit. if that is what parts tree wants 4 it. keep me in the loop. MAHALO!!!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The fuel shutoff has a short fuel line leading to it, it's original and matches up to the various parts list for my machine. Parts Tree was much higher, I found a few other sources that ran about $150, may just go ahead and bite the bullet and get one. The used one I saw was $90, for a little more money a new one would be nicer. Retirement is still about 15 years away but I figure I'll have this machine longer than that - no need to get another one.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
In retirement some times having something broken in your life gives you a reason to keep going.
Some of the best restorations are done by us elderly folk with time on our hands.

What is the part number for the differential kit ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #9 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I can understand having a project, however I tend to be a project type person, I already have a retirement project lined up - a 67 Mustang convertible that was my high school car. Besides, the 824 Powershift is a tank, anything to make it easier to move around is worth thinking about.

The differential kit number is 38038, any leads on one?
post #10 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 04:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
My machine came with an axle differential on it. It has a wing nut adjustment on the left wheel. I would call it more a "limited slip differential." It consists of 25 parts and I've never had it apart. Unit operated with chains on the wheels from day one. If you get in a grass area both wheels drive if you get stuck. I have a very bad back so it must have helped me quite a bit in 34 years. I would not consider anything else myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page