LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Screaming engine a little scary.

What is the likely cause of my single stage Toro racing extremely fast once it has warmed up. After about 4 or 5 minutes of use, the engine RPMs increase to the point I'm afraid it's going to blow the engine. Could the governer be stuck, or tension spring missing? Anyone have this happen to them.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
most likely the spring is stuck on something

Bast regards,
Butch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Mine has done the same thing along with a friend of mine.Model 210R Powerclear.It raps out like it's going to blow up.Any answers?By the way this is my first post..seems like a good place to start asking questions.Thanks in advance.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Yes some where the governer linkage, spring or something is abstructing the governer from operating properly.
One question did it do this before or last year and have you taken it apart lately.
Pictures of the carb and gov would help a lot.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
First, welcome both of you, to the group. Let's see if we can find you an answer to your high revving issue.

I suppose the first questions would be, do you feel like taking a bunch of plastic off of your snow throwers to get to the engine, and then if you want to tinker with them yourselves?

richajk, you didn't mention what model your Toro is, but torotaxi, your Model 210R (38587) has a Briggs 084132-0120-E8, or 084232-0120-E8 engine. Whew, lots of numbers, but doing a search around for information about that engine, this comes up about the carb and it's operation, including the governor connection.
Disassembly of Briggs and Stratton/Toro/Lawn-Boy 2-Cycle Plastic Carburetor
Take a look at the photo at the bottom right of that page. (photo #18) If you were to get up under the plastic shroud on your machine to look at the engine, you should see something like that on the carb.

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 01-26-2011 at 02:36 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all.Last year it was brand new and never did it,just started to do it this season.Never been taken apart.It's done this about three times,not always.It is a Briggs two stroke. I'll take the shroud off and take a look at the gov. spring and see if something is obstructing it or if it's out of position.I emailed Toro and will let you know what they say.like I said before a friend of mine has the same model and his has done it too.It makes the neighbors look too as it's really rapping out when it does it.Thanks again.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torotaxi View Post
Thanks all.Last year it was brand new and never did it,just started to do it this season.Never been taken apart.It's done this about three times,not always.It is a Briggs two stroke. I'll take the shroud off and take a look at the gov. spring and see if something is obstructing it or if it's out of position.I emailed Toro and will let you know what they say.like I said before a friend of mine has the same model and his has done it too.It makes the neighbors look too as it's really rapping out when it does it.Thanks again.
Shouldn't your machine still be covered by the factory warranty?
It might be worth a trip to the dealer you purchased it from.

Charles
post #8 of 17 Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Mine is only one year old so it should be.I didn't buy it from the dealer in town as he was sold out for the season so I had to order from the internet. I suppose I will take it there if there are parts involved.I can probably fix it myself if I know what the problem is but like I said I will take into the local Toro dealer if it's an expensive fix.Maybe my buddy will take his in first since he bought his there.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I was a marine tech for a long time two strokes with race when they go lean, I would suspect junk in the carb bowl especially since the problem is intermittent. On smooth surfaces the sediment usually stay put, but on the lumpy stuff it gets stirred up and will lodge against he screen in the carb. My guess is that you do not run it dry after each use, with today's gas that is extremely important. I never use the kill switch or key to stop any of my equipment, I shut the fuel supply let it die then kill the ignition. I would remove the carb bowl clean it out that should take care of the issue.

Pretty old marine engine tech, now in marine parts.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-28-2011, 03:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Update.I took the float bowl off and the main jet and both seem clean Toro's reply was being a two stroke it can be tempermental because of bad gas,etc.I know this is true being around a lot of two cycles.My Lawnboy mower surged until I found out how to fix it[jetting].Like mentioned above maybe it has something to do with the air vane.My carb. is like the one in the Brigg's link. I see the spring is attached but how do you know if it's sticking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page