LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Is Toro Worth it?

I need a machine capable of moving lots of material. Is the Toro 1128 OXE worth the premium over an Ariens Platinum 30?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 01:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I think so. I would take an old 60's 70s 80's Arien over just about anything for what we do (4' wide condo walkways). But they just don't make em like that any more. With that being said we have had Noma, Ariens, Simplicity, and a few more over the last 25 years and the 2 Toro Power Max's that we use have been the best of the current generation of blowers for us. Shear pins never break, they always fire up and though we use them every 5 to 6" while it is storming they have gone through over a foot or 2 where it drifts with no problems.
On a 6" storm they are running about 5 hours....I am very happy with the 2 826's we have....heck they were something like $900.00 or 1000.00 when they first came out about 7 or 8 years ago....still running good!!! We will be buying a a 1028 hd for next year along with a 721 single stage. I feel like these 2 we have now have been good to us and I don't want to push my luck with them.....after all there are a ton of hours on them!

I don't like the spring loaded scraper on the 1128, we do walkways that get a lot of salt and I can see that spring being a problem over time.....My Salesman offered me a great deal on the 1128 but I said no way I will wait for the 1028 in next years inventory.....good luck!
post #3 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 02:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I tried a Toro 1128 at my local dealer with the last big snowfall we had the dealer had about 15+ snow on his long driveway that he let several people try and I came away impressed. It moved snow like an animal! I even ran it in a fast gear and it still really worked great it's easy to use all the controls are in the right place I liked it although I agree I was not fond of the scrapper bar on the 1128 I think if I were in the market I would get the next one down I think it's a 1028? Anyway it does not have the moving scrapper bar.
post #4 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grober02 View Post
I need a machine capable of moving lots of material. Is the Toro 1128 OXE worth the premium over an Ariens Platinum 30?
I can't speak for the Toro to much, I looked at them but haven't tried any new ones. I do own a P30 though.

P30 Pros:
414cc 15HP engine (a big point for me)
30" bucket
Cast Iron Gear Box.
All steel chute assembly
Auto Steer (some will disagree with this one and rightfully so.)
$1450-$1600 price
Made in the USA
Heated hand grips
14 inch impeller
Engine takes 1 full quart of oil.

TORO Pros:
Chute control
Briggs engine but smaller.
Toro's Anti clog chute system
Stiff one piece frame work
Better head light
Thicker skids
No shear pins

If this list needs corrections please let me know.

They look very equal, but maybe you should think about if you would like trigger steering on the Toro or Ariens with its auto locking axle. I am guessing the axle difference in the two would be the most glaring difference.

Also play with the chute controls on both. After checking the axles and the chute controls, I will bet you will have a clear idea of which one is for you.

Its no secret that Ariens is my favorite at this time and in the past. Plus auto steer is my favorite option. But Toro is certainly a well built blower and has some clear advantages. Plus the Toro looks a lot meaner. Also Ariens chute control is clumsy.

You will get it right.

Ken

Last edited by ken53; 02-21-2014 at 04:40 PM.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
Thumbs up

I would always buy toro over anything else out there. MAHALO!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 04:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
I would always buy toro over anything else out there. MAHALO!!!
I used my Dads Power Shift Toro on a couple of his duplexes. This was around 1991-1993 I think. I loved the Power Shift Feature. I would flip it back and forth often. It really helped at EOD bank. If they had that feature today I would certainly check it out.

Ken
post #7 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 04:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken53 View Post
I used my Dads Power Shift Toro on a couple of his duplexes. This was around 1991-1993 I think. I loved the Power Shift Feature. I would flip it back and forth often. It really helped at EOD bank. If they had that feature today I would certainly check it out.

Ken
check craigslist, there are a few on ebay

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 04:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken53 View Post

Ken
There are several of us who would buy a modern Toro Powershift only problem is who would pay the price? A snowblower like that now would prob cost twice what it cost in the early 1990's
post #9 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
There are several of us who would buy a modern Toro Powershift only problem is who would pay the price? A snowblower like that now would prob cost twice what it cost in the early 1990's
I do not think they would be the same today as back then. that why if u find one BUY IT UP FAST.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 31 Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Another really great thing about the Toro is you will not be changing shear pins....they have hardened gears and it will stall out or squeel the belt before it breaks the bolts. My simplicity was always bustin pins....hate being out there with wind and snow in the dark of night trying to change out a shear pin....thst alone would sway me to a Toro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page