LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-01-2014, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Toro 826 OE oil filler tube

My Toro 826OE has an 1150 Briggs engine that has an oil filler tube with a dipstick / filler cap assembly. While running, the cap vibrates a lot and sometimes comes loose and or starts spitting oil from under the cap onto the blower. The cap doesn't fit tightly on the tube. Is there supposed to be a gasket under the cap?

Can't find a parts breakdown or the engine to check it out. Any ideas?

Thanks

Honda HS55K2
Toro 826OE

Last edited by bosco659; 03-01-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-01-2014, 07:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco659 View Post
My Toro 826OE has an 1150 Briggs engine that has an oil filler tube with a dipstick / filler cap assembly. While running, the cap vibrates a lot and sometimes comes loose and or starts spitting oil from under the cap onto the blower. The cap doesn't fit tightly on the tube. Is there supposed to be a gasket under the cap?

Can't find a parts breakdown or the engine to heck it out. Any ideas?

Thanks
there is suppose to be an o-ring under there that keeps it tight

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 7 Old 03-01-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Tried to get one at the dealer but they needed the serial number of the machine that I unfortunately didn't have itch me. Is it an actual o ring or a flat rubber gasket?

Honda HS55K2
Toro 826OE
post #4 of 7 Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Should be an actual "O" ring. You can take your dipstick to an auto parts store and see if they have one on hand. Might not be oil resistant but for a buck or two it would get you through the season and you could worry about it when it's warm out.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #5 of 7 Old 03-02-2014, 05:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Thumbs up

take the dipstick to your favorite friendly hardware store. to match it up there is nothing special about that o-ring...:ee k:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 03-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I don't know if there is a difference in what Toro uses but I do know there is a huge difference in the O rings used for fuel systems and the ones you'd get at a hardware store for a kitchen faucet. I am not sure what an auto parts store or hardware store might hand you that would fit. Might be for water and starts swelling when in contact with oil or it might be gas and oil resistant and you're good.

All I'm trying to say is get something to stop the leakage and keep the machine clean and if you notice it starts to swell then you need to get the right part. I'm positive the OEM one is formulated to withstand oil and hydrocarbons since it's going to be in constant contact with both.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #7 of 7 Old 03-02-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The dealer tried about 4 different o rings and none of them fit properly. I wanted to use the blower today so last night I looked in my tool box and found some 1/16" thick cork gasket. I cut out a donut shaped piece and fit it into the recess of the oil cap. It was a bit tight so I lubed it with a bit of grease and left it overnight. This morning it was a perfect fit.

I will still order the o ring from the dealer.

Honda HS55K2
Toro 826OE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page