LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
Question Aftermarket parts

Has anyone used after market belts on their blowers and how do they seem to work? Am considering getting replacement belts for my 521, just to have in stock if nothing else.also, want to get the drive rubber. Can that be purchased separately or do I need the complete wheel?
TIA!

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Has anyone used after market belts on their blowers and how do they seem to work? Am considering getting replacement belts for my 521, just to have in stock if nothing else.also, want to get the drive rubber. Can that be purchased separately or do I need the complete wheel?
TIA!
I use gates power rated belts in all my power equipment that requires them.
Been using them for ages. The friction drive rubber might or might not be available most of the time its not available separately.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkellogg View Post
I use gates power rated belts in all my power equipment that requires them.
Been using them for ages. The friction drive rubber might or might not be available most of the time its not available separately.
Gates does indeed make great belts.
Thanks

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 05:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
TIA!
depends on if gates makes a belt for that machine. it is always best to use toro belts. that way you have the right size and never have to worry about modifcations. do not try and use car belts. they are not fractional horsepower. I hope this rambling helps you out. if not let me know.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 44
If you go to a small engine shop and get proper aftermarket belts for your machine they work fine. If you go to an automotive shop or industrial supplier and get something like a Gates belt expect problems, sometimes they work, more often they don't or wont last long, or you'll have release issues. This is especially true for lawn tractors, but it does happen with snowblowers sometimes too.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Goodyear has a line of Lawn and Garden Belts. They are Kevlar wrapped and are directly interchangeable with the OEM belts. I also have a TSC (Tractor Supply Store) near me. They have Blue Kevlar wrapped belts under the PIX brand that seem to work. I just installed one on my Father In Laws Craftsman Machine.
Hank

1986 Landmark (MTD) 26" 2 stage with HM80
post #7 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
Contrary to what you'd think is sensible, some of these S. blower companies make shorter belts with fractional lengths. Few of us measure our perfect belts off the new machine. Trying to guess the true length of a worn out or even broken belt is a guesstimate. I've heard a few surprises with people having trouble replacing short belts. I've read requests for help here that hinted of wrong belt. So buy the first replacement correct belt from your dealer and record the length. Then you are free to experiment. I always save my old worn belt with a label on it.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EG8 View Post
If you go to a small engine shop and get proper aftermarket belts for your machine they work fine. If you go to an automotive shop or industrial supplier and get something like a Gates belt expect problems, sometimes they work, more often they don't or wont last long, or you'll have release issues. This is especially true for lawn tractors, but it does happen with snowblowers sometimes too.
Auto parts stores sell both "automotive" belts and "power rated" belts. You need to tell them what you need it for or look up the number yourself on the Gates or Goodyear or Primeline sites. It's true the automotive V belts are not designed to slip and if used on a snow blower, tiller, tractor or some other drive system that allows the belt to slip it will burn it up. I usually use Gates belts and I get them at Oreillys.

As for the belts length I usually look up the exact part number and then search it on a couple different sites and cross it over. I'll use searspartsdirect, Jackssmallengines, MTD site, JD site, repair clinic, ebay and amazon and try to get a consensus on the length before making a purchase so I only have to do it once.

The primeline catalog lists OEM belts Prime®Line Power Equipment | Parts that works as hard as you do
Orielly auto parts carries prime line so if you look up the part you can punch it into the Oreilly web site and find out if, when and how much PLUS what warranty !!!

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-25-2014 at 03:26 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 40
I've used top quality aftermarket belts on the past and had mixed results, so personally I stick to OEM parts like belts.

On your 521, you can get the 37-9090 traction belt for $14.60 & the 37-9080 auger belt for $17.43 at one on-line site (probably cheaper if you looked around). Good quality aftermarket belts will cost nearly that and you still don't know for certain that your getting an "exact" replacement. Personally I don't want to have to worry about things like this, only replace belts, etc. every so many years and I don't want to have to worry about getting a part that is "nearly" right. Been there, done that.

As for the friction wheel, I looked your parts diagram and it's one whole assembly; p/n 37-6570. Same site I checked belts on sells it for $22.16.

If you need 521 manuals you can d/l the operators, parts & service manual for here (free): Toro |

The service manual will walk you through the entire process of disassembly & repair.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #10 of 12 Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
i just got a friction wheel for my 521E, the rubber is bonded to the wheel

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page