Possible 824 Powershift purchase, but stuck in powershift - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 06-02-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Possible 824 Powershift purchase, but stuck in powershift

Hi everyone!

Been browsing a bit, had no idea such a forum existed for snowblowers.

Anyway, living in a single family house as of this year, and wanted to locate a snowblower during the off-season. I'm the type to purchase quality used gear that will last me, so I did some research which brought me here, and to the Toro 824.

I located a Powershift 824 locally, and it says the engine, forward, reverse, and auger all function properly. However, he says it is stuck in powershift mode.

I know so far that is limited information, I can update this post tonight with the year and specific model hopefully.

So, what do you guys think? Any ideas on what would cause that and what type of fix it might be?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok, so now I know it is a 1996 model 38540, and it is actually in pretty great cosmetic condition. So it sounds like everything works, only issue is that it's stuck in powershift. What are your guys' thoughts on what it could be and if it's fixable?
post #3 of 55 Old 06-03-2014, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
You should add a location to your profile. Sometimes knowing where and what kind of or how much snow makes a difference.
The 824 powershift is a really nice machine but you haven't said what they're asking ??
It's always nice to see a photo BUT you don't want to give to much info out or post a link to the ad as you never know if someone might buy it out from under you. It happens so just a word to the wise.
I'm not familiar with how a Toro PowerShift, shifts so I can't help you with that. It might be a simple linkage adjustment or ... It certainly should be fixable it's just a matter of determining what is causing it and the cost.
Did the seller say anything about what he's tried or if he took it in and had it looked at ?? Seems odd that he'd just toss it up for sale as it is a nice machine with good power for it's size and well built. Most owners if it's in good shape would pay to fix it or even just continue to use it as is. If the wheels are stuck in the back position it would feel a little heavier as the weight is more forward but it's still going to toss snow like crazy.

If you're up for some reading, you might find an answer here:https://www.google.com/#q=how+does+a...wershift+shift

Tuesday one of the Toro lovers like Poweshift will likely log on and come chat with you. It's the off season so the forum isn't as fast with responses like the colder months.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 55 Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ TL-S View Post
Hi everyone!

Been browsing a bit, had no idea such a forum existed for snowblowers.

Anyway, living in a single family house as of this year, and wanted to locate a snowblower during the off-season. I'm the type to purchase quality used gear that will last me, so I did some research which brought me here, and to the Toro 824.

I located a Powershift 824 locally, and it says the engine, forward, reverse, and auger all function properly. However, he says it is stuck in powershift mode.

I know so far that is limited information, I can update this post tonight with the year and specific model hopefully.

So, what do you guys think? Any ideas on what would cause that and what type of fix it might be?

Thanks!
if it a POWERSHIFT I CAN FIX IT 4 U. let me know if u get it.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 55 Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. The seller hasn't provided a lot of info, but I also didn't ask what he tried yet either. I'll try asking that today.

And I'm near Chicago. The seller just listed at best offer, so who knows how much he is looking for. Before I tried any offers, I wanted to do a little research tho.

Powershift - you seem to be the guy around here for these things, think you could walk me through a fix if I picked it up?? If only you were in IL and not MN.
post #6 of 55 Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
With photos and a good vocabulary to describe issues someone can get you the help you need.
Worst part is someone who doesn't understand just saying "it's broke" might not be enough for us to understand what is broken. That or asking someone questions about the problem and them telling you it doesn't matter. You have to remember we can't see, hear or feel the problem unless you show or tell us about it.

You need to shoot him an Email or call and ask if he has any idea what's wrong with the PowerShift mechanism and what he's lookin' to get for it.
Post the price and we can give you some advise. If you can do a picture, even better. You said it was in good shape but was that the seller telling you or did you see a picture ??

post #7 of 55 Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK, I emailed him to try to get a little more info, I'll let you guys know what I hear. So far, all I know is that it is stuck in powershift, but that everything else works fine.

Here are a couple pictures:

post #8 of 55 Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
He is one on Ebay. It's sitting at a hundred bucks presently. Might want to follow it and see where it sells for comparison.

post #9 of 55 Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Haha, following that one as well...may pull the trigger on it too.
post #10 of 55 Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Are you close enough to pick it up ?? Might want to add location to your profile. If it goes for less than 200 it's likely a better buy then the other one.
In most but not all cases it's easier to pay more and keep it running that get a "deal" then spend all summer getting it to work, like my $25 Ariens 7/32
But when I'm done with it I'll have another tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page