LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
1985 Toro 724 Question

I have a 1985 Toro 724 model 38050. The problem I seem to have is the rear bearing on the friction plate shaft keeps wearing out. The front pillow block bearing is new with no wear signs. I was wondering if I could replace the rear one with an actual sealed self-aligning roller bearing. Has anyone else done this? Can you think of any problems in doing this.

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by javman View Post
I have a 1985 Toro 724 model 38050. The problem I seem to have is the rear bearing on the friction plate shaft keeps wearing out. The front pillow block bearing is new with no wear signs. I was wondering if I could replace the rear one with an actual sealed self-aligning roller bearing. Has anyone else done this? Can you think of any problems in doing this.

Thanks
Mark
THE new replacement bearing from TORO are sealed. use only toro replacement parts. if you have any questions find me.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I forgot, ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry I should have listed the part number. The bearing I am considering replacing is part number 20-1730 and am thinking of replacing it with a ucfl205-14 bearing. The Toro ones keep wearing out for some reason.

Thanks
Mark
post #5 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 08:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I say a bearing is a bearing. As long as it is the right size, properly lubricated and protected from the elements I don't for see any issues. Just make sure it can handle the RPMs that it will see as well.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 04:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Sorry I should have listed the part number. The bearing I am considering replacing is part number 20-1730 and am thinking of replacing it with a ucfl205-14 bearing. The Toro ones keep wearing out for some reason.

Thanks
Mark
if those bearing keep wearing out. then you better start looking deeper into it there is another underlying problem presenting itself then.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Only the one at the back is wearing out. I believe it is the 2 standoffs are not equal in size and thus the bearing does not sit straight. The standoffs are no longer available. I could probably come up with new standoffs but was thinking that a self aligning bearing would solve the problem. The added bonus would be the cost is about a third of the Toro bearings.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Only the one at the back is wearing out. I believe it is the 2 standoffs are not equal in size and thus the bearing does not sit straight. The standoffs are no longer available. I could probably come up with new standoffs but was thinking that a self aligning bearing would solve the problem. The added bonus would be the cost is about a third of the Toro bearings.
post some pic's so I can see what is going on..

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 11 Old 09-13-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry for the slow response as I was away fishing. The following picture shows the 2 standoffs for the bearing that keeps wearing out. You can see all the metal filings from the worn bearing. The bearing on the front of the shaft is new and has no wear after 1 season of use. The back bearing was replaced at the same time.

I was asking about changing this to a self-aligning bearing to correct any mis-alignment.

Thank You
Mark
post #10 of 11 Old 09-13-2014, 10:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Any chance the tension on the drive clutch is way too tight causing excessive bearing wear?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page