LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 1028 vs. 1128 (New Models)

Hi. I am preparing to purchase a new Toro snowblower. Should I go for the Briggs and Stratton 342cc or will the 302cc Toro Premium be a good choice. There is about a 400 dollar difference. I am a bit nervous of Briggs and Stratton engines as I had bad luck with a Toro lawnmower equiped with a Briggs. I ended up returning the mower and got the model with the Honda. What do you guys/girls think?

Thanks,

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Based on engine alone I would probably just save the money. The Toro engine is probably a Chineese Honda clone. That being said, for $400 more the 1128 probably has some extra gizmos on it.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-18-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was wondering about power and reliability. I am leaning towards the 302cc only because of the bad experience with my Toro Super Recycler that had the Briggs and Stratton Engine on it. That was auto choke though. The Briggs on the 1028 snowblower has a manual choke.

On a side note, the sales rep at the Toro dealer informed me that on the 250cc toro snow can get into the exhaust and bend the valve. There is an accesory that can be purchased that is like a down pipe for the exhaust. This was on the 250cc engine.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Thumbs up

the 11-28 has a pivoting scraper blade. that is the only difference between the 2 except for the 1 hp deal. as far as the engines I would get the BRIGGS over the TORO PREMIUM engine any day. but TORO backs that engine with a warranty so it might all just work out for you.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 14 Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK. I will think I will give the Briggs another chance. I guess there is an issue with the pivoting scraper on the 1128. Any reason why the pivoting scraper would be better? The rubber bushings wear out and the scraper goes back too far and gets fetched up some how. This was according to the service guy at my local Toro dealer. Will not warranty and most just put the regular scraper on. Anyway, I am leaning towards the Briggs but am hesitant. I am guessing with not many replies that there must not be too many issues with these engines.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
I have never had an issues with BRIGGS engines. but don't get me started on those tecumsaparts. if you do not like the pivoting scraper then by all means put the other one on. if they can do that. last year I got a brand new 13HP BRIGGS INTEK snow engine for THE MASTERPIECE and it runs like a dream. it never misses a beat even in the heavy stuff. those tecumsaparts were always gutless wonders here in the MINNESOTA winter.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 14 Old 10-01-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well I went with the Toro Power Max HD 1028 OHXE (model 38802). This has the Toro Premium engine 302cc. The sales guy assured me that these are great engines and I will have no trouble with it. He said they are built with 3 rings on the pistons, heavier flywheels, heavier crank bearings,better governor response and a cast iron cylinder. He said these are quieter and more efficient than the Briggs and that if he was buying between the 2 machines he would go with the model I went with. I hope he is right. I don't believe because the engine is made in China it is designed in China. I hope not anyway. We will wait and see and I will let everyone know how I make out with it this winter. Just looking at the engine it does not appear to be cheap in any way. I saved $400 compared to the 342cc Briggs. I told the guy that money was not an issue if reliability would be less on the smaller engine. Remember, I did have very bad luck with my Briggs powered Super Recycler mower and had to return it for a Honda powered unit. That is what really persuaded me to go with the smaller engine.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-09-2014, 01:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 19
I just ended up with the 1128 OHXE myself today. The spring loaded scraper bar wears much better than the regular scraper bar. You can go through 4 of the regular ones for one spring loaded job. They are well proven over 20 years and frankly offer the added benefit of giving single stage like clearing performance. My dealer sells many of them to commercial clients and municipalities each year and they have been excellent. There really is little to go wrong. It's a simple system and shouldn't pose a hassle. Especially if stored in a heated garage. I'll give you my personal feedback in time.

I know it's late, but figured I'd post what I know of them. It's proven tech and it's long wearing. So replacement costs wash between spring and standard.

Sadly there is lots of hearsay about the feature, but they are being run everywhere.

Re the 1028, it's a beast. The jump from the 928 to the 1028 is very significant. The 928 might be off one horsepower, but it can't produce the torque. The 10/1128 on the other hand are torque monsters and offer impressive gains. Any differences between the 1028 and 1128 are minimal as far as what you will see in daily operation. My 1128 is rated at 16.5 torque.

You made a great choice. I look forward to your first report back after the first snow.

Cheers brother

Mag
post #9 of 14 Old 10-09-2014, 07:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 7
All snow blower engines except the Honda GX and GCV (on their single stage) are made in China now FYI, including Briggs.

Nice choice, Toro was a close second on my shopping list. Probably would of went with Toro and saved a few bucks if they were still USA made.

2014 Honda 928WAS

Erie, PA
-Avg yearly snowfall 100.8" (256cm)
-2013-14 Snowiest major city in the USA with 138.4" (351.5cm)

Last edited by KpaxFAQ; 10-09-2014 at 07:49 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 19
I appreciate the post!

Something I was meaning to mention before is that the term "Chinese manufactured" is almost irrelevant. Most of the devices we are viewing this website with and typing on are all made in China. The country of origin means little, it's the whole you pay to get what you want and the quality that China can produce is every bit as good as here, provided it's a quality engine. Briggs doesn't outsource, they are just manufactured elsewhere.

The only reason I mention this is because "China" has become a byword for poor quality, which is odd considering there is likely a 75-80% proliferation of Chinese manufactured products/technology in our own homes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page