Older Toro 1028 wheels won't turn but drive belt is intact - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Older Toro 1028 wheels won't turn but drive belt is intact

I have an older Toro 1028 PowerShift. I’m guessing it’s about 15 years old. I bought it second-hand, and it served me pretty well for two and half winters. I always found it started up good and chucked the snow pretty good. However, half-way through last winter she gave up the ghost. Not a good year for it to happen though, because the snow came in October and didn’t leave until May!

The first year I bought it I found that it didn’t slide into each of the gears very well (4 gears in total). You had to be a little rough with it to get it to go into each of the gears, except first gear. By the end of the first season the problem was noticeably worse. Due to a lack of financial resources I didn’t fix the problem, and the next season I continued to operate it “as is”. Throughout the season it continued to get worse, to the point where I had to aggressively slam the gear shift lever from side-to-side to get it into the gear I wanted. I could get it into 1st and 4th, and if I manipulated it just right, I could get it into 2nd, but very rarely could I even get it in 3rd. It clearly wasn’t an ideal situation, but it worked, and I was able to clear the driveway.

As mentioned above, halfway through last season it died on me right after a big storm with lots of heavy snow down. My driveway is on a steep hill, and I got to the bottom, turned around, and started back up the hill. I only got about of the way up the hill and I started to notice a burnt smell (like a burnt belt) and then it started coughing and jerking as though it was having a seizure and then it quit. I was able to restart it, and it would idle, but when I tried to engage the wheels, they wouldn’t move ahead, and the engine would bog down as if it was going to shut off, and the burnt smell would resume. As soon as I let go of the right lever (the drive lever), it would return to a normal idle. In order to get it back up the hill I had to shut it off, put it in neutral, and free-wheel it all the way up to the garage. I took the belt cover off, and it looked like the impeller belt and the drive belt were intact (both of which were fairly new - I had replaced the impeller the first year I had it, and the drive belt the next year.)

Besides the two belts up front under the black plastic belt cover, is there another drive/transmission belt underneath? I thought there were only two belts, but I do recall a very distinct “burnt-belt” type of smell.

Any suggestions on what likely happened to my machine?

Last edited by Whitewonder; 10-30-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Sounds like something seized in the drive system. If something locked up the belt would have been slipping on the pulley and that would be the burnt smell. Some machines used an actual gear transmission and some simply used a friction disc. The friction disc would be the cheapest and easiest to fix. You are going to have to tip the machine up on the front end and pull the bottom cover off and see what is going on down there.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-30-2014, 05:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
hello whitewonder, welcome to SBF!! I can tell you that your toro has a transmission not a friction disc

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 24 Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'll have to tip it up and pull the bottom cover off and have a look. I'm pretty sure it has a transmission. I wonder what in the drive system may have seized.

I'm away for the next two weekends, and they're calling for a foot of snow on Sunday. And so it begins.......
post #5 of 24 Old 10-30-2014, 06:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
where is home whitewonder

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 24 Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
If it is gear drive and you were having issues shifting I would say maybe the transmission had no oil in it. Could be one of the bearings seized or the gears seized on the shafts.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-31-2014, 08:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
post a video of the machine. I will need at least 2 minutes of vid to see what is going on. let me know.. ALOHA to the forms..

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 24 Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm in Atlantic Canada (New Brunswick). I snapped a couple photos last night. I'll see if I can figure out how to post them. Stay tuned...
post #9 of 24 Old 10-31-2014, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm trying to post some pictures that are on my hard drive, not on a website/URL. Are there some instructions on how to post pics from the hard drive?
post #10 of 24 Old 10-31-2014, 09:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewonder View Post
I'm trying to post some pictures that are on my hard drive, not on a website/URL. Are there some instructions on how to post pics from the hard drive?
you have to add them on the paper clip thing next to the smiley face above this.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page