LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro Powermax 826 oe problem

I purchased the Powermax 826 oe in August and got to use it yesterday for the first time. Lucky me! I live in Minnesota and sometimes question why, but as some of you know, we had a fairly large snow storm. I received around a foot of heavy snow at my house. Anyways, I was using the snowblower, which happens to be my first, and it suddenly stopped throwing snow. Every time I attempted to engage the auger, the machine would die. I shut the engine off and checked the impeller and there was no snow so I knew it wasn't a blockage. I didn't notice right away because it was windy, but I began to smell something burning. I brought it in the garage and took the plastic cover off that covers the belts. There was quite a bit of belt dust inside.

Being this is my first snowblower, I'm not quite sure what my problem is other than that I will need a new belt and I'm assuming a pulley adjustment. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but am looking for someone that knows more to chime in if I'm wrong in my thinking. I did notice that the large impeller pulley does not move freely. Is this normal when the engine is off? My augers and impeller won't move either when the engine is off. It doesn't appear that there is any small rocks or anything blocking the impeller. I have quite a mess in my driveway and I'm hoping that I can get this taken care of tonight and finish cleaning it up!

Thanks for any assistance!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Ok first the augers won't turn as you have to turn the impeller to make this happen and sorry if you knew that already. If after checking absolutely everything for blockage and there are none, the next step is you should check the oil level on the auger gear case, you never know it may be dry from the assembly at the factory. Did you notice if there was no snow on the gear case which might indicate being warm or even hot to the touch especially with the wet and heavy snow. If the auger was stuck a shear pin would have let go and it doesn't seem to be the case.
Good Luck and keep us informed.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.

Last edited by Normex; 11-11-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #3 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The impeller won't turn with the engine off. I checked pretty closely for any obstructions and am fairly confident there are none. I did not check the gear case oil and never really thought of it since it is a new machine, but I could check that after work.

The belt was smoking so I'm guessing either the belt was loose or a pulley is stuck. The big pulley on the bottom does not move as far as I can tell with the engine off. I'm not sure if this is normal or if it should spin by hand. If I remember correctly, the large pulley and impeller are attached to the same shaft. Neither appear to turn. I'd have a hard time believing it to be a bearing, but I guess I've heard of stranger things.

This is really disappointing and as of now, I'm really regretting selling my 4 wheeler and plow!
post #4 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
The large impeller pulley should turn if the auger lever isn't pressed , when not pressed the belt should be somewhat loose and the pulley should turn even if engine is turned off which as you mentioned a seized bearing or up front in the gear case. Your unit is on warranty so let the techs have at it. Btw remove your spark plug wire if you play with the impeller or pulley and sorry if you already do this.
I know it's a bummer but these things however rare happens.
Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.

Last edited by Normex; 11-11-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
If the machine is stalling with the auger lever depressed it does sound like something is jammed up front. The rubber smell would be the belt burning. The impeller should turn by hand. It will be harder to turn unless you pull the engagement lever as there will be a small brake pad on it. Any chance the belt jumped off the bottom pulley and got wedged in there? And yes, the impeller and that pulley are connected? Does it move even a little bit? Usually when the front gearcase gets damaged the impeller will continue to spin, but the augers will not when you hit snow. I suppose a piece of something could have broken off and wedged between the gears. Have you tried spinning the impeller backwards? If it won't spin either way I would say maybe you got a rock behind the impeller or something.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.

Last edited by Shryp; 11-11-2014 at 01:06 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The belt was definitely burning and unfortunately, that is the least of my worries. I think it almost has to be a bearing. The belt didn't come off the bottom pulley, but it does seem to be a little loose which is possible since I burned some rubber! I haven't physically tried to turn the bottom pulley yet, but it wouldn't spin when I spun the belt. I've tried turning the impeller each way and it turns about 1/4" each way and stops. I checked behind the impeller the best I could and didn't see anything, but that is another thing I'll check.

Last edited by mattp; 11-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That is unfortunate. Sounds like maybe a job for warranty. Of course, then you have to figure out how to get it back to them and there is no telling how long it will take to get fixed. You could try to investigate the issue yourself, just be sure you can get it back together if it is something with the gear box.

post #8 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was actually excited that it snowed yesterday just to get home and use it! I've used the snowblower for 5 minutes and am now questioning myself and frustrated! ugh! I have the worst luck sometimes!
post #9 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
As well as checking the impeller for rocks, also check between the augers and the back shell. Sometimes small pieces of gravel can wedge in there and be hard to see, especially if snow is stuck to them. Also make sure none of the bearings popped out where the augers meet the sides of the bucket. Your comment about being able to move the impeller a little bit in both directions leads me to think the problem is something with the auger assembly.

post #10 of 30 Old 11-11-2014, 04:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
try spinning the auger pulley by hand without the belt on it. LET ME KNOW what happens. ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page