LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 724 Primer Bulb Feedback Question

This could probably go in the general section but just to make sure I'm posting here.

Should there be "feeback" when depressing the primer bulb on my 724? Specifically its a 1995 Toro 724, 38072. I'm used to the way primer bulbs feel in lawn mowers, weedwackers, etc. Quite stiff. On this 724 I basically feel nothing when pressing but before I go throwing new parts at it I figured I would ask around and see what the consensus is. Questions are free, new parts are not.

I should add that I fired up the machine two weeks ago to use it, seemed to take a number of pulls (5-6) to even attempt to start but after it almost caught it was only 1-2 more pulls maximum. I pressed the primer 5 times first then approx 3 more pumps two separate times. I cut off the fuel then ran it until it emptied the carb and I let it sit a week then went out this past Saturday and again, it took several pulls before trying to start but once it was there it started on the next pull. I actually pressed the primer 10 times before that first pull this time. If anything it seems that the primer is not functioning and I am only getting fuel (after turning on the shut-off valve) by either gravity or through the action of the pull starter.

It did start on one easy pull from my wife on Sunday however. But that was because I didn't run the carb dry.

This is a new-to-me piece of equipment given to me and the PO was/is not around to ask questions of.

Last edited by blink32; 01-10-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
You could have a broken line behind it. Pull the hose off the carb and put your finger over it. That should make it impossible to push the primer. Could probably pinch it too.

Primer hose, not fuel hose.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'll check that when I get home this weekend. Thanks again for the quick assistance.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Mine on my Ariens felt like it was not doing anything. I took it off and could not find anything wrong with it. Put it back on and it still felt like it was not working, (no resistance), but the engine started great. Using a mirror I was able to look into the carburetor and could see that fuel was indeed being pumped in there just fine.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That is the same on my bolens I kept priming till fuel came out, thats how I found out it worked.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I appreciate the confirmation replies. Going to mess around with it this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in