LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 101 Old 11-18-2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Toro 624 power shift - new engine

Hi all. I have a 1988 toro 624 power shift here m#38510. Last year the governor broke and it raced itself to an early demise. I see the threads on using the hf 69730 6.5hp engine, which appears to be a good replacement for the Tecumseh H70 series engine. Mine has an H60 engine. Does anyone know if it is physically the same as the h70? Dr Google isn't clarifying it for me lol.

Thanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 11-19-2014, 01:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzohansen View Post
Hi all. I have a 1988 toro 624 power shift here m#38510. Last year the governor broke and it raced itself to an early demise. I see the threads on using the hf 69730 6.5hp engine, which appears to be a good replacement for the Tecumseh H70 series engine. Mine has an H60 engine. Does anyone know if it is physically the same as the h70? Dr Google isn't clarifying it for me lol.

Thanks-
Same mounting bolt hole pattern as the Tecumseh 7hp engine. Is your engine a 2 shaft engine or a single shaft?
post #3 of 101 Old 11-19-2014, 05:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Yea, H60 and H70 are same block. Most parts can be swapped between the 2 engines and I did take one broken H60 and one broken H70 and make 1 working engine.

As was stated, just make sure yours is a single shaft.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 101 Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
I just got done replacing the exact model powershift with a 6.5hp harbor frieght clone. I will tell you this - the mounting studs for the engine are the same as the H60 but the shaft is way too short. before really thinking through the swap I ground off the mounting studs and drilled new holes closer to the impeller. only one problem...on this machine there is no way to put the bolts in from under the machine because of the transmission and all the stuff that makes this machine powershift.
I finally got mine mounted by using L-bolts from the top and setting the engine over them carefully so as not to drop them below. overall massive pain in the butt to swap this machine with a clone engine. after I got the new engine mounted then came the issue of the belts lining up correctly so that the new pulleys, particularily the transmission pulley, didn't stayed engaged all the time. The alignment of the shaft from the clone engine to the H60 is different and the belt would stay engaged on the pulley no matter what size belt I used. the answer?? I had to make my own belt gaurds and try and gerry-rig this to take tension off the belts. yes, it worked finally, but I don't have much confidence in the final solution.

moral of this story - do a lot of research and buy a engine that has the correct shaft length and mounting holes otherwise you are in for a lot of work.

Current machines-
1978 Bolens 8/24 (Loncin 420cc engine upgrade)
1986 toro powershift 6/24 ( 212cc Predator upgrade)
1988 Simplicity 860 (Predator 301cc upgrade)
1995 Honda HS 621
post #5 of 101 Old 11-19-2014, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
on second thought I am leaving this one ALONE!!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 101 Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. It is a single shaft. I kept coming up with h70 references so I wasn't sure.

I'll do more searching and reading, I haven't seen the troubles listed by buttchet before.
post #7 of 101 Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
you could also try grinding off the paint where the motor mounts and welding on studs to mount the motor on
post #8 of 101 Old 11-19-2014, 10:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
I'm not sure what POWERSHIFT93 used to repower his Toro but I would look into that model briggs - more money for sure but might be worth it versus the trouble. also have to figure the pulley will not fit on the Harbor clone as it is 3/4" shaft versus the Tecumseh 7/8".

Current machines-
1978 Bolens 8/24 (Loncin 420cc engine upgrade)
1986 toro powershift 6/24 ( 212cc Predator upgrade)
1988 Simplicity 860 (Predator 301cc upgrade)
1995 Honda HS 621
post #9 of 101 Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'd look into another engine if the price is reasonable. The predator engine at HF (which is 5 miles from my house) is the one i keep coming up with when I search. I'm not looking to drop $500 on a 26 year old machine I can replace for $1000
post #10 of 101 Old 11-20-2014, 02:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttchet View Post
I'm not sure what POWERSHIFT93 used to repower his Toro but I would look into that model briggs - more money for sure but might be worth it versus the trouble. also have to figure the pulley will not fit on the Harbor clone as it is 3/4" shaft versus the Tecumseh 7/8".
you know what I used is a 13HP BRIGGS engine. for THE MASTERPIECE.:c ool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page