LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
auger belt

Im changing the auger belt on my 38080 blower 2 stage S/N 9000128, Ive got it off and it looks like 1/2" width by 40" length. Is this correct ,?Is the traction belt the same , and it looks difficult to remove , any hints?? But I really have to replace the auger belt. The traction belt looks OK. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
I don't know your machine but the way to measure a v-belt width is at the top. It is probably 1/2 if your engine is 6hp or more. To measure the length you measure the outside circumference. Use a string or a soft tape measure. Or roll it on the ground next to a tape measure.

To remove the traction belt you typically need to loosen or remove the belt tensioner.

If this does not help take a picture and post.

You can generally get replacement belts at a Napa or similar auto parts store. Ask for the Utility belts. Automotive V belts have a different profile.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
post #3 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Do you have a Toro dealer near if so you can ask him or with this info.

Toro 38080 Parts List and Diagram - (7000001-7999999)(1987) : eReplacementParts.com

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I just looked at the Parts list Normex posted and it is very similar to my Toro.

To remove the tensioner you only have to loosen the top and lower bolt on the bracket and the pulley should swing away.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #5 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the input. I have measured it (auger belt) with some twine. Moved the idler pulley out of the way(to remove the traction belt), but there is a rod that is welded to the idler arm of the auger belt and it seems to be in the way of pulling the traction belt off.I must be doing something wrong.
So to summarize -the auger belt is off, the traction belt was partly off , but I couldnt get it passed the rod that holds the auger idler arm on , there seems to be a cap on the end , not a nut and of course there is the large spring that gives it tension. Do I just force it off the pulley by rotating the large pulley, but there just doesnt seem to room because of the rod in the way. I had it partly off but in order to get it back on I had to tip the blower and open the skid plate and get it on that way. Thanks Gord Would I have to remove the idler pulley of the auger belt in order to remove the traction belt???
post #6 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
It has been a while since I removed the belt but I think I was able to get it past the rod. It is a tight fit if I recall. If you just can't do it, you may want to remove the idler torsion spring on it's lower leg . If you can do this I think the rod should lift up.

To do this, first remove the cotter pin and clevice pin on the rod linkage. The spring tension should then be released. Remove the forked bracket the holds the rod up just below where the clevice pin was connected. This is 2 bolts on the back outside of the tractor housing. At this point you can release one leg (the lower leg) on the torsion spring and then lift the rod up and out of the way.

This sounds like more work than it is. I don't think it is too bad. I don't think you will have to remove the cap as that end of the rod is in an open slot vs. a hole. Use a bit of oil on it if it is stubborn.

It has been a long time since I have done much on this and there could be some subtle differences between my machine and yours. I hope this is helpful.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #7 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 239
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 2858
Likes (Received): 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlackBird View Post
Im changing the auger belt on my 38080 blower 2 stage S/N 9000128, Ive got it off and it looks like 1/2" width by 40" length. Is this correct ,?Is the traction belt the same , and it looks difficult to remove , any hints?? But I really have to replace the auger belt. The traction belt looks OK. Thanks
The auger belt is 1/2" x 40" (4L400) Toro part number 26-9670. The traction belt is 1/2" x 39" ( 4L390) Toro part number 20-1820.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro 421-E (38585) 2008 (New Owner)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, Auger belt purchased, definitely needed that. Will probably leave the traction belt till the spring,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page