Fuel type / recommended additives in an older Toro - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
Fuel type / recommended additives in an older Toro

Hello,

Instead of asking this question in my other thread (regarding my 1980's Toro 826 model 38150), I thought I'd post it as a new thread. I believe it merits it's own discussion.

In essence, I would like to know what fuel type should be used in an older Toro machine: standard (87 octane), mid-grade (89 octane) or super (91 octane)?

Also, based on research I've done when I bought an outboard motor for my boat, I know you're not supposed to put anything with Ethanol in it because it will gunk up the carburetor... but are there any recommended additives to put in the fuel of an older snow blower, other than fuel stabilizer for long term storage?

Personally, I often put Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant in my fuel, both for my truck and the small engines I own. So far, I haven't seen any negative side-effects and I like the idea of "lubing the cylinders" when the engines run, lol! On the truck it actually seems to reduce fuel consumption a little bit, as advertised.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
I started using Sea Foam about two years ago and have become a convert. At 1 oz per gallon of gas, one can will last me a year for mower/blower/trimmer etc.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-22-2014, 11:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
I use Lucas and a product called Star-tron. been very happy with both and have no problems over the last two years. cheap insurance in my eyes. I put in high octane as long as I have the two additives and my equipment runs great

Current machines-
1978 Bolens 8/24 (Loncin 420cc engine upgrade)
1986 toro powershift 6/24 ( 212cc Predator upgrade)
1988 Simplicity 860 (Predator 301cc upgrade)
1995 Honda HS 621
post #4 of 14 Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was thinking about SeaFoam too at one point, but I always thought of it to be best for de-carbonizing the air intake on a car / truck. Lots of smoke!

That being said, I usually try to stay away from "one solution for all problems" type of products. Perhaps SeaFoam is the exception to the rule though, I haven't really tested it.

As for Lucas, they advertize their upper cylinder lubricant as both a lubricant and crud remover / injector cleaner, so I lean more towards that. Personal preference, of course... then again, I was told that adding a bit of 2-cycle oil to the gas can accomplish the same effect (lubricate cylinders in a 4-stroke engine), but for much cheaper than the Lucas stuff.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-23-2014, 06:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
i think most use 87 octaine gas but i have a habit of using mid-grade in everything thats gas powered with some seafoam added

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 14 Old 12-23-2014, 08:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
octane (resistance to detonation) degrades over time so I always use 93 for my small engines especially if the gas may sit in the can for 1-2mos. Stabil gets added as soon as I get home.

Also add seafoam (dilutions above is < 1%.) especially with these old L-head engines which love to coke-up the valves/seats & head...this is a preventative.

If your machine is already coked-up (check through the plug-hole), you're going to want to do a decarb.

At a minimum, run a tank full of 10% seafoam...and when it's almost gone, spray some pure seafoam into the carb air intake and cut the engine...then spray some seafoam directly into the cylinder and let it sit for 15-20min. Now make your neighbors happy and fire that baby back-up with fresh gas .

Lately I've been pulling the heads and cleaning the coke using seafoam and a nylon brush...then reseating/lapping the valves. A 3.5hp machine that I thought was clean after the seafoam decarb above was still pretty gunked-up.

I've had RPMs (and power) jump after a good cleaning...so check your RPMs to make sure you're not over-revving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #7 of 14 Old 12-25-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
octane (resistance to detonation) degrades over time so I always use 93 for my small engines especially if the gas may sit in the can for 1-2mos. Stabil gets added as soon as I get home.

Also add seafoam (dilutions above is < 1%.) especially with these old L-head engines which love to coke-up the valves/seats & head...this is a preventative.

If your machine is already coked-up (check through the plug-hole), you're going to want to do a decarb.

At a minimum, run a tank full of 10% seafoam...and when it's almost gone, spray some pure seafoam into the carb air intake and cut the engine...then spray some seafoam directly into the cylinder and let it sit for 15-20min. Now make your neighbors happy and fire that baby back-up with fresh gas .

Lately I've been pulling the heads and cleaning the coke using seafoam and a nylon brush...then reseating/lapping the valves. A 3.5hp machine that I thought was clean after the seafoam decarb above was still pretty gunked-up.

I've had RPMs (and power) jump after a good cleaning...so check your RPMs to make sure you're not over-revving.

Thanks for the detailed how-to on a snowblower SeaFoam treatment! I'll definitely try this after the Holidays... my snowblower could reportedly be a 1975-1977 model, so that's a lot of potential crud accumulation in that Briggs engine!

post #8 of 14 Old 12-25-2014, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
use 87 non-oxy gas if you can find it.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 14 Old 12-30-2014, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey everyone,

After doing some reading about the different fuel types to use in small engines, I came across information that apparently all gas will eventually gunk up your carburetor and possibly other parts in a small engine because of the general accepted use of Ethanol in today's gasoline. In essence, it produces a varnish-type deposit that's a b*tch to clean. This is why it is (apparently) recommended to buy specialty gas at marinas or other small engine places that has zero ethanol added, usually at a very big premium... because it will keep your small engine and carburetor alive much longer. Hmm... interesting.

Well, that being said, I decided to make some inquiries about local gas (via Google searches / websites of different suppliers) and ethanol is indeed widely used in all gasoline grades, with the maximum general content of up to 10% (known as E10). The suppliers do not have to identify it as such, as long as they do not exceed 10% ethanol per volume of gas. Higher ethanol content has to be legally identified as ethanol gas though (E15 for 15%, etc).

In sum, all gas suppliers use it and it seems like my small engine on my new (used) Toro is indeed doomed down the line... all but one. Apparently, Shell's V-Power 91 octane gas DOES NOT contain any ethanol whatsoever, plus includes a cylinder lubricant already in it. And of course you can get it at any Shell station, no need to pay the premium at the marina (that probably gets their gas at Shell too). Here's the info I got off Shell Canada's website:

Quote:
2. Is Shell V-Power premium gasoline safe for all vehicles?

• Shell V-Power is effective in all gasoline-powered engines found in conventional, modern and hybrid vehicles as well as motorcycles, snowmobiles, and leisure marine vehicles.
  • Tested in today’s advanced turbo-charged and direct injection engines, Shell V-Power helps resist thermal breakdown at high temperatures, actively protecting against gunk under tough engine conditions.
  • Shell V-Power premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol.

Well, I guess I answered my own question. From now on, my mower, boat engine, gas chainsaw and my Toro snowblower will only feed on Shell's V-Power 91 octane and no need for extra additives (because everything's already mixed in the gas). I used it in the truck a couple of times in the past whenever gas was cheap(er) (because it supposedly removes gunk) and, as advertised, it actually gave me better mileage than gas from other places... so it'll probably have some beneficial effects on a smaller engine too.

Zero ethanol is a definite winner here.

Last edited by 762mm; 12-30-2014 at 06:05 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
you'll appreciate this link: PureGas

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page