624 fails to engage in reverse/no powershift - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-01-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
624 fails to engage in reverse/no powershift

I have no problem in the forward gears. When I shift to PowerShift it does not happen. Also, when I shift to reverse it seems to go but then "jumps out" with a rattling noise almost as if it's tickling the gears. I've checked the drive chain tension and it is okay. I had to manually pull the axle back into the PowerShift mode to check it. Does it need adjusted or is something scewed up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-01-2015, 03:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 202
Likes (Received): 287
trackcar
I was hoping one of the powershift wizards would jump in and help, but I see this is going unanswered.
My advise (based more on what I have read here than anything else) is to familiarize yourself with the gadgetry that lives under the dash that the shift lever is connected to.
If you go to Toro.com, plug in your model and serial number you will find in the list of downloads a 10 page document showing all the parts involved.
attempt at linkage.
Select manuals>service guide
I've not taken mine apart, and I hear its overwhelming at first, but most are able to discover their issue and make it all work again after making adjustments or replacing worn parts involved.
best of luck
Del
post #3 of 12 Old 01-01-2015, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 507
Thanks (Received): 355
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcar View Post
I have no problem in the forward gears. When I shift to PowerShift it does not happen. Also, when I shift to reverse it seems to go but then "jumps out" with a rattling noise almost as if it's tickling the gears. I've checked the drive chain tension and it is okay. I had to manually pull the axle back into the PowerShift mode to check it. Does it need adjusted or is something scewed up?
you will have to adjust those cables under the dash. let me know what the score is there.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 12 Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
trackcar
I was hoping one of the powershift wizards would jump in and help, but I see this is going unanswered.
My advise (based more on what I have read here than anything else) is to familiarize yourself with the gadgetry that lives under the dash that the shift lever is connected to.
If you go to Toro.com, plug in your model and serial number you will find in the list of downloads a 10 page document showing all the parts involved.
attempt at linkage.
Select manuals>service guide
I've not taken mine apart, and I hear its overwhelming at first, but most are able to discover their issue and make it all work again after making adjustments or replacing worn parts involved.
best of luck
Del
HEY DEL some of have lives outside of this place. you know:rolleye s:

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 12 Old 01-02-2015, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Not only will you need to adjust the two cables, you will likely have to remove the control box from the underside of the dashboard and disassemble it and give it a good cleaning and lubing.

I picked up my PS 824 from a rental property and the tenants abused the snot out of it. When I first got it home, it was stuck in powershift position and would not go in reverse most of the time. It also wouldn't get out of powershift, and first gear didn't work.

I pulled the control box, broke it down to all the individual parts on my workbench, cleaned the metal shafts the parts pivot on (they were rusted and gummed up with hardened grease) and put it all back together with some wheel bearing grease and now it works perfectly.

I think there's a thread I started about the whole odyssey, just search my user name.

Here you go. This also solved my reverse issue as the lever for actuating reverse is on the same peg as the powershift lever.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...rshifting.html

Last edited by threeputtpar; 01-02-2015 at 12:44 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 12:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
My 624 was just like that! The controls were all bound up, so absolutely check that out. I took care of it but still no reverse. So one of us will figure it out first lol
post #7 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
it might be prudent to replace those cables also.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-11-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
you will have to adjust those cables under the dash. let me know what the score is there.
I went out today to adjust the cables "under the hood" and ran into another problem. Gas leaking out of the carb. Took the float out and realized that SOMEWHERE there is a hole in it. Another fixable detail in which I'll probably replace the float. As to adjusting the cables, I take that the adjustment is where the cables leave the control box...........................Found the pinhole in the float.

Last edited by trackcar; 01-11-2015 at 10:56 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 250
Thanks (Received): 299
Likes (Given): 3002
Likes (Received): 555
Hello and welcome to SBF trackcar. Here is a link to the Powershift service manual to help with the adjustments. I hope this helps.

Tosnowps[1] Copy

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcar View Post
I went out today to adjust the cables "under the hood" and ran into another problem. Gas leaking out of the carb. Took the float out and realized that SOMEWHERE there is a hole in it. Another fixable detail in which I'll probably replace the float. As to adjusting the cables, I take that the adjustment is where the cables leave the control box...........................Found the pinhole in the float.
you use those jam nuts under the dash to adjust those cables should be pretty much centered in order for the reverse and THE POWERSHIFT feature to work. but I do not know the age of those cables. so they might be further in or out. for the problem that is presenting itself here.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in