post #1 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
Question Life expectancy of a snowblower engine

Hello,

I know it's the kind of a question that can have the answer depend on a multitude of variables (maintenance, engine hours, etc), but what is the average life expectancy on a Toro snowblower engine in years?

I recently bought a good condition 826 (1975-77 model, as per info I got here) and was wondering if I'm going to see much use out of it before it's due for an engine.

That being said, what are the signs of a "tired" engine? Mine seems to work OK, sounds good (no rattles, no shut offs, etc) and starts up right away, just doesn't seem to throw the snow very far (only a few feet distance). I was thinking of an impeller mod to make it throw a little further, but then I wondered if it's perhaps the engine that's tired after all these years...? Or perhaps it's the type of snow that's too light to throw far? (lately it was very cold and the snow was dry and light out here)

Last edited by 762mm; 01-13-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 04:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1633
Likes (Received): 571
if its not throwing snow very far check and change the belts first. seeing that the 826 is your only blower and you don't know if the belts have been changed I would change them anyway and don't expect that every time you use your toro its going to blow snow 35- 40 feet even with good belts

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
if its not throwing snow very far check and change the belts first. seeing that the 826 is your only blower and you don't know if the belts have been changed I would change them anyway and don't expect that every time you use your toro its going to blow snow 35- 40 feet even with good belts
The guy who had it before told me he had put brand new belts on it last year and hasn't used them once. So they're essentially brand new. However, now that you mention it, I will see if they're adjusted properly (belt deflection). Perhaps I need to play a little bit with the adjusting screw on the auger engage lever... Thanks!

Going back to my initial question, what's the average life of an engine on a domestic use snowblower (that has had all the maintenance done)?

Last edited by 762mm; 01-13-2015 at 05:06 AM.
post #4 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 05:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
The guys who forget to put the oil in usually last about 5 minutes.

The guys who never change the oil usually last 10 - 20 years.

The guys who treat theirs correctly don't know how long theirs will last yet.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 05:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 156
If after adjusting the belts and your 826 still does not throw very far you might want to measure or have your rpm's measured. Some of the guys here use a non-contact hand held tach to measure RPM's. Do you know what your motor is turning out at full throttle? Could be belts or could just be an easy adjustment to your engine or could be both.
post #6 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
I highly doubt it is the engine. better cross check those belts. to see if they are the right ones. better tighten up the adjuster for the auger/impeller pulley. you can pm me if you don't know how to do that.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the replies!

post #8 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Just to reiterate....

The engine will last a long long time if it is treated properly.

The real issue is that it will lose power over that long long time and still keep running. This power loss will not affect the throwing distance as the rpm's will remain the same. Many, many members here have repowered their blowers and reported that the difference in power was significant even when there was a slight reduction in rated horsepower.

Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do.
post #9 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 276
Likes (Given): 2803
Likes (Received): 506
Like anything electrical\mechanical, it could last a day or a hundred years. Many people on the forum have snow blowers with engines that are close to fifty years old. If you change the oil at least once a season and keep the RPM's at or below the recommended max (usually 3600 rpm's) you could expect a long life expectancy. I gave my son-in-law a 7/26 Toro that was built in 1973 ( 42 years old) and it STILL runs great.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008 (Gone)
Toro 721-QZR (38741) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #10 of 38 Old 01-13-2015, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Like anything electrical\mechanical, it could last a day or a hundred years. Many people on the forum have snow blowers with engines that are close to fifty years old. If you change the oil at least once a season and keep the RPM's at or below the recommended max (usually 3600 rpm's) you could expect a long life expectancy. I gave my son-in-law a 7/26 Toro that was built in 1973 ( 42 years old) and it STILL runs great.
I was built in 1971. now I feel old.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page