Toro 521 (38052) Bogs Down / Won't Push Snow - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 521 (38052) Bogs Down / Won't Push Snow

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here and I'll introduce myself in the newbie thread soon.

I have a Toro 521 (38052 - unsure what year) that I bought second-hand a couple of years ago. It seems to be having a problem actually pushing snow out the chute. It starts off okay, but then seems to bog down and get stuck very easily, even with very light snow.

When there is no snow or very little snow in the auger, everything spins splendidly, but as soon as there is a good amount of snow in there, the auger stops spinning.

I recently had to replace the pulley key and set screws on the pulley, and while I was at it I greased the auger gear box with Mag-1 grease. I've checked the belt and there are no problems there, and after splitting the snowblower apart, I'm able to turn the pulley wheel with absolutely no problem, and the auger blades rotate with the greatest of ease when turning the pulley wheel.

I did notice there seems to be a lot of rust down inside the chamber where the impeller (not sure if that's the right term - the thing that pushes the snow out the chute) is, so I don't know if that's a culprit here.

Thanks for any and all help, this site has been hugely helpful for me so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 08:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here and I'll introduce myself in the newbie thread soon.

I have a Toro 521 (38052 - unsure what year) that I bought second-hand a couple of years ago. It seems to be having a problem actually pushing snow out the chute. It starts off okay, but then seems to bog down and get stuck very easily, even with very light snow.

When there is no snow or very little snow in the auger, everything spins splendidly, but as soon as there is a good amount of snow in there, the auger stops spinning.

I recently had to replace the pulley key and set screws on the pulley, and while I was at it I greased the auger gear box with Mag-1 grease. I've checked the belt and there are no problems there, and after splitting the snowblower apart, I'm able to turn the pulley wheel with absolutely no problem, and the auger blades rotate with the greatest of ease when turning the pulley wheel.

I did notice there seems to be a lot of rust down inside the chamber where the impeller (not sure if that's the right term - the thing that pushes the snow out the chute) is, so I don't know if that's a culprit here.

Thanks for any and all help, this site has been hugely helpful for me so far.
Welcome to the Toro Lair of SBF lo2e!!!

Do you have the serial number (next to the model) from your machine? We can get the year from that.

A few things to check...
  • are you using snowblower belts and not automotive belts?
  • are the belts & pulleys free from oil/grease?
  • belt tension
  • Is the engine bogging down? If so, you may have weak compression (valves, bad head gasket) and/or carb (settings, dirty) and/or governor issues.
  • Look into installing impeller kits...a 521 shouldn't be clogging like this...so remedy the issue & an impeller kit will make things much better!
I'm sure other members will swing by and provide their wisdom as well!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1630
Likes (Received): 571
hello lo2e, welcome to SBF!! so is the engine bogging down or just the auger

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, classiccat - responses to your questions, in order:

Serial 6010406
Yes, snowblower belts from the Toro dealer (replaced last year)
I don't happen to see any oil/grease on the belt or pulley
The belt seems to be tight when I press the auger handle, the idler pulley seems to be functioning properly
The engine doesn't seem to be bogging down at all, and I replaced the carb last year (thank goodness for YouTube! )
Just googled "impeller kit" - definitely will try to get one and install it as soon as I can diagnose the current problem!

detdrbuzzard, it is just the auger bogging down, no apparent problems with the engine itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Welcome to the Toro Lair of SBF lo2e!!!

Do you have the serial number (next to the model) from your machine? We can get the year from that.

A few things to check...
  • are you using snowblower belts and not automotive belts?
  • are the belts & pulleys free from oil/grease?
  • belt tension
  • Is the engine bogging down? If so, you may have weak compression (valves, bad head gasket) and/or carb (settings, dirty) and/or governor issues.
  • Look into installing impeller kits...a 521 shouldn't be clogging like this...so remedy the issue & an impeller kit will make things much better!
I'm sure other members will swing by and provide their wisdom as well!!!
post #5 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 300
Likes (Received): 152
lo2e, I had a similar problem on my 524, I adjusted my auger belt on my 524 so that
when the auger drive is disengaged the auger very slowly rotated. It moved the snow really good.
After I was satisfied with the way it was throwing I backed off the adjustment just enough so the auger does not rotate when disengaged. Works great now.
Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your 521.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
I believe you have a 1986 model.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1630
Likes (Received): 571
sounds like an '86 toro 521 by the number you gave, there is an owners manual on the toro website for your machine, the download is free

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #8 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Wow, thanks for all the answers so far.

detdrbuzzard, I just downloaded the manual, thanks for that tip.

Zavie, it looks like from the manual that adjusting the belt involves the clevis linkage near where the handles attach to the rest of the snowblower? Or is there somewhere near the belt itself where I can adjust?

Thanks again all - this site is wonderful.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that my auger currently does spin very slowly when the auger drive is disengaged, same as what Zavie described at first. It has done that as long as I've had it.

Last edited by lo2e; 01-24-2015 at 09:04 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Glazed belts can cause much slipping and some times taking off the belts an cleaning the pulleys with brake cleaner and replacing the belts will restore the grip again once you engage the auger. Likewise check the tension on the tensioner for the belt if it is too loose it will allow slipping. Belt should be snug when auger drive is engaged.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-24-2015, 10:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Welcome from the Keystone state.
Stick around here for a whole and your blower problems will disappear. Lots of good help here.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page