LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 321
Likes (Received): 145
New Toros ??

Just noticed after a few months here that there is not a large following of newer Toro owners here. There seems to be lots of new Ariens owners. I am guessing Toro still sells lots, maybe not to many in Canada with the exchange of our dollar. Any ideas ?? I hope mine is around for 25 years like most Toros are.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD

Last edited by Hanky; 02-03-2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 10:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1655
Likes (Received): 386
Oh boy Hanky, I can see how you?d feel excluded having a sparkling new machine!!!

If it's any consolation, there are many decades worth of old machines out there.

Secondly, people tend to come here when their machine breaks &/or when they snag a deal on Craigslist. New machines like yours haven?t seen enough abuse to start breaking?.and craigslist deals on a machine like yours are few and far between.

Lastly, some of us just prefer wrenching on old iron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

Last edited by classiccat; 02-03-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Hanky thanked for this post
post #3 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
just got a new toro 826 oxe this year and it did an awesome job on the 3 or 4 feet of snow I just received in Ma.
post #4 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
All I can say is you have a fine blower, Hanky. I have the little brother to it. Toro 521. Great little machine

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #5 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have had some issues with mine, but then I may be wanting to much as in my job at the school I had a JD blower for a years and my own for 18 years before I got my new Toro. Have just a few minutes over 18 hrs on it and when I get 20 or so hrs I was going to update the review I did. Just feeling lonely with a newer Toro, and one of a few from western Canada.

post #6 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 07:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1659
Likes (Received): 584
if toro made a new 824 oxe I would have a hard time resisting buying one hanky. I don't think the 724 has enough power and the 826 is too wide. if you want to give that new 1128 an old look just put a couple sun laps over it and leave them on until its faded just like my 521E

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have never seen a older Toro blower. I am guessing they were very well built back in the day, At work had several Toro mowers for cutting school fields.

post #8 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
I have never seen a older Toro blower. I am guessing they were very well built back in the day, At work had several Toro mowers for cutting school fields.
They were indeed "built like a tank" , as were the old Ariens, Gilson, and many other brands were built heavier back in the day. Most impressive build ( new machine )I have seen (personally) lately is the Signature Pro series from Simplicity.

The meltdown is under way ...

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #9 of 21 Old 02-04-2015, 04:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
In our family's case, it was like this: my parents needed a snowblower last year, so we went to Home Depot to check out what was being sold. There were many brands on display (floor models), but we already knew that only Toro and Ariens would be the "good" brands to buy, based primarily on their reputation.

Anywho, upon seeing the floor models, the $1500 and less machines by Toro (our price range) were not particularly "standing out" of the crowd: they looked cheaply made, with plastic chutes, plastic instrument panels, etc. I actually grabbed the chute of one of those Toros with my hand and could feel it flex back and forth with very little force being applied. Not impressive! In essence, they didn't seem to have anything going for them over the Chinese-made junk that was also on display there or at a local Canadian Tire (the Yardworks and MTD marvels!). The metal also seemed quite thin on them. Sure, Toro warrantees the chute and other plastic parts for X number of years... but in the end, a warranty is still a pain in the a** when something breaks. A snowblower ain't exacly something you can put in the back seat of your car (and transport to and from the service center isn't covered by the warranty).

We then checked out an Ariens (Compact 24 model) and it was a better build: thicker metal construction, full metal chute, full metal auger housing, more visible metal parts of all sorts, nicer/brighter paint job, sturdier overall feel, etc. So, the choice was a no brainer. The unit ended up having a carburetor leak (gasket) when we first put fuel in it, but Ariens USA had that fixed free of charge by a subcontractor, so that we wouldn't return the unit to the store. All worked out fine in the end and the machine does what it's supposed to without a hiccup. We also live in Canada same as the OP, by the way...

As for me, I got myself a 1975-1977 Toro 826 (used, of course) this year and the thing runs and looks great, plus it's built like a tank (heavy thick metal construction that feels like it will outlast any new machine). I did a few maintenance procedures on it with the help of a few members on this great forum and it runs like a champ. Actually, I like it better than my parents' new Ariens Compact 24! I wouldn't trade... even though mine cost $160 vs. $1200 for theirs!

Moral of the story: By the looks and feel of it, Toro seems to have gone downhill in how (and where) they build their consumer-grade machines. If they're gonna build them like an MTD or a Yardworks to save manufacturing costs, people will see them as such and make their purchase accordingly. Plastic is cheap to manufacture in China (or Mexico - whatever), but it also looks and feels cheap to the potential consumer. You can warranty it all you want - but in the end, it's still cheap plastic parts that inspire zero confidence for the long haul.

Remember one thing: in the 21st century, 99% of businesses no longer aim at making their products last. Actually, a product that lasts 35+ years and won't break, like my Toro 826, loses them money! Their only concern these days is to make a product last the warranty period, that's all. Enter Chinese outsourcing/manufacturing of... everything!

Ariens, on the other hand, seems not to cheap out on build quality as much (yet). It seems like they're still willing to go the extra mile and make a machine how it was meant to be made: steel construction for solid long term service. Perhaps no longer as "heavy duty" as they once were, but still miles ahead of the "new & improved" plasticky Toros!

Last edited by 762mm; 02-04-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks detdrbuzzard thanked for this post
post #10 of 21 Old 02-04-2015, 04:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762mm View Post
In our family's case, it was like this: my parents needed a snowblower last year, so we went to Home Depot to check out what was being sold. There were many brands on display (floor models), but we already knew that only Toro and Ariens would be the "good" brands to buy, based primarily on their reputation.

Anywho, upon seeing the floor models, the $1500 and less machines by Toro (our price range) were not particularly "standing out" of the crowd: they looked cheaply made, with plastic chutes, plastic instrument panels, etc. I actually grabbed the chute of one of those Toros with my hand and could feel it flex back and forth with very little force being applied. Not impressive! In essence, they didn't seem to have anything going for them over the Chinese-made junk that was also on display there or at Canadian Tire (the Yardworks and MTD marvels, lol!). The metal also seemed quite thin on them. Sure, Toro warrantees the chute and other plastic parts for X number of years... but in the end, a warranty is still a pain in the a** when something breaks. A snowblower ain't exacly something you can put in the back seat of your car (transport to and from the service center isn't covered).

We then checked out an Ariens (Compact 24 model) and it was a slightly better build: thicker metal construction, full metal chute, more visible metal parts of all sorts, nicer/brighter paint job, etc. So, the choice was a no brainer. The unit ended up having a carburetor leak (gasket) when we first put fuel in it, but Ariens USA had that fixed free of charge by a subcontractor, so that we wouldn't return the unit to the store. All worked out fine in the end and the machine does what it's supposed to without a hiccup.

We live in Canada, by the way...

As for me, I got myself a 1975-1977 Toro 826 (used, of course) this year and the thing runs and looks great, plus it's built like a tank (heavy thick metal construction that feels like it will outlast any new machine). I did a few maintenance procedures on it with the help of a few members on this great forum and it runs like a champ. Actually, I like it better than my parents' new Ariens Compact 24! I wouldn't trade... even though mine cost $160 vs. $1200 for theirs!

Moral of the story: By the looks and feel of it, Toro seems to have gone downhill in how (and where) they build their consumer-grade machines. If they're gonna build them like an MTD or a Yardworks, people will see them as such and make their purchase accordingly. Plastic is cheap to manufacture in China (or Mexico - whatever), but it also looks and feels cheap to the potential consumer.

Ariens, however, seems not to cheap out on build quality as much (yet). It seems like they're still willing to go the extra mile and make a machine how it was meant to be made: steel construction for solid long term service.

I agree with you, I like the older units too. However, if you ever get a chance to check out the simplicity SignaturePro it's still pretty heavy duty.

My all-time favorite is the Gravely. If I had a huge driveway and space to store it I would restore an old Gravely with the snow canon attachment. Nothing like that check it out on YouTube. I really like the old Ariens a LOT too but I dislike the longish handlebars on them as I don't have tons of extra storage space and every bit of space counts.

My old Toro 824 is still rather compact when you compare it to some of those longer machines, one of the reasons I chose it, along with the powershift feature. That newer Ariens compact seems pretty decent though if I needed to purchase new, but I'm mechanically inclined enough that I can make a less expensive,older machine good again, like you did. Recently repowered mine and I'm loving it even more now

The meltdown is under way ...

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page