post #1 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
trouble replacing belts Toro 724

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. Tried to search for this but did not find anything.

We have an old Toro 724 model 38050 S/N 9007748. We have replaced the bearings on the secondary auger and it's been doing great until recently it loses auger power. The belts appear loose so I am working on replacing them.

Problem is getting the drive belt off. The pivot rod for the auger belt clutch is tight up against the large pulley for the drive wheel belt. It is impossible to get the belt off the larger pulley. Of course getting the replacement back on will be impossible. Here is a picture of the situation. Not sure how this is supposed to be done. The manual I downloaded makes no mention of obstacles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	39217  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Welcome to the Toro hanger gcch!

That machine is a '79...10 years older than my toro but I think there are a few options for getting some wiggle room to fit-in that drive belt.

Does engaging the auger (or disengaging the auger) give you any additional room? You may be able to loosen the guide for the auger-belt tensioner from the back of the machine. Another option would be also to loosen the 2 bolts that hold the drive support bracket to the main housing (black plate)...might not even need to loosen them completely...just enough to wiggle the traction pulley.

Maybe they tweaked the dimensions over the course of 10 years as I haven't had a problem replacing the drive belt.

Other Toro dudes will swing by with additional (likely better) suggestions!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Cat. I have tried loosening the guides for the auger clutch but it got me nowhere. I was going to go from underneath to see if I can remove it but this seems like it should be unnecessary to remove the belt. I wonder if the large pulley is somehow out of position? It is not sloppy or loose, but is very close to the auger clutch rod.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Looking up from underneath the entire pulley is mounted way too far to the right. There is no way the belt will come off as it is nearly against the side wall of the gear box. Has anyone seen this before and can offer a long term solution? I will have to disassemble the entire lower end to get this belt off.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
My '89 824 has two bolts behind the belt cover....just under the front of the engine... that secure a black plate to the machine housing. This black plate holds the bushing for the traction pulley.

if your traction assy has the same arrangement, loosening these 2 bolts should give you the ability to shift the traction/drive pulley just enough to squeeze in the belt.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, I thought about that and was wondering if they were slotted holes so I could move it over. But instead I just went out to loosen the bushing the drive axle spins on and that was enough to allow me to pry it over and get the belt out. I'm really flummoxed as to how it is so out of whack. At least I will be able to get the new belt on tomorrow after I pick them up.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
the way I have always done it is by sliding it in between the pulleys, i have an 824 38080, same frame different engine
post #8 of 14 Old 02-05-2015, 03:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
You have to split the machine in half. the auger from the tractor.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 14 Old 02-05-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The problem is not that I can't slide the belt out between the pulleys. The probelm is the drive pulley is far to the right inside the tractor case so it cannot be removed from the pulley. The pulley is almost rubbing up against the case. Something is not right with this machine as changing belts should not require major surgery. But anyway, I have managed to loosen the drive shaft bearing mount so I can pry the pulley slightly to center and get the belt out. I've got my new ones this morning and should be back in business tonight in time for 5 more inches.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gccch View Post
The problem is not that I can't slide the belt out between the pulleys. The probelm is the drive pulley is far to the right inside the tractor case so it cannot be removed from the pulley. The pulley is almost rubbing up against the case. Something is not right with this machine as changing belts should not require major surgery. But anyway, I have managed to loosen the drive shaft bearing mount so I can pry the pulley slightly to center and get the belt out. I've got my new ones this morning and should be back in business tonight in time for 5 more inches.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips.
why don't you post some pics of this problem

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page