post #1 of 7 Old 02-04-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
Toro 826 Belt Guard/Cover (Mod. 31763)

Hello,

Well, for the past few weeks I've been trying to locate a reasonably priced belt guard for my 826 (part# 17-6550), with no luck. Most places list is as either discontinued or price it way too high to make it worth buying. As such, I figure I'll probably have to make one out of sheet steel (or aluminum) and rivets.

The project will probably be pretty straight forward, just cut out a pattern and rivet it together... but I'm also having trouble locating pictures of the original belt guard in order to have some sort of an idea of a pattern to work with. There are a few pictures of Toro belt guards on eBay, but they're for different models, so I'm not sure how accurate those designs are for my application. Prices are also crazy in some cases - some people ask more money for a used belt guard than others would ask for an entire used snowblower on Craigslist!

That being said, would anyone happen to have a picture of one? I know it's a long shot, but hey... I figured I'd try my luck anyway! I'll probably build it when winter gives us a bit of a break and temperatures allow me to actually work in my garage without freezing, lol!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1647
Likes (Received): 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762mm View Post
Hello,

Well, for the past few weeks I've been trying to locate a reasonably priced belt guard for my 826 (part# 17-6550), with no luck. Most places list is as either discontinued or price it way too high to make it worth buying. As such, I figure I'll probably have to make one out of sheet steel (or aluminum) and rivets.

The project will probably be pretty straight forward, just cut out a pattern and rivet it together... but I'm also having trouble locating pictures of the original belt guard in order to have some sort of an idea of a pattern to work with. There are a few pictures of Toro belt guards on eBay, but they're for different models, so I'm not sure how accurate those designs are for my application. Prices are also crazy in some cases - some people ask more money for a used belt guard than others would ask for an entire used snowblower on Craigslist!

That being said, would anyone happen to have a picture of one? I know it's a long shot, but hey... I figured I'd try my luck anyway! I'll probably build it when winter gives us a bit of a break and temperatures allow me to actually work in my garage without freezing, lol!

M60 (or 308?), maybe browse toro genuine parts page too look at different models/years...a manual cross-reference if you will. In otherwords, some of the belt guards for other models may fit your machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks 762mm thanked for this post
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
M60 (or 308?), maybe browse toro genuine parts page too look at different models/years...a manual cross-reference if you will. In otherwords, some of the belt guards for other models may fit your machine.
That's what I figured too and it was also suggested before. It's an avenue I haven't explored, but judging by the prices on eBay for used belt guards (and prices for NOS ones), I think I'd spend almost as much on the belt guard as I did on the rest of the snowblower. Hence why I will probably just make one out of scratch. Heck, even some thin plastic sheet cut out to a pattern and glued together would work, probably. I also toyed with the idea of making a mock up belt guard with cardboard and glue and then using fiberglass to make it permanent, kind of like they make custom interior parts for custom cars and boats. This being said, sheet aluminum and rivets is probably the fastest and least messy way to go about it. I'll weight my options shortly...

The machine works perfectly good without it, to tell you the truth. I am also missing the rear cover on it and have a hard time imagining how those two parts could've possibly got lost over the years... the machine probably had quite a few owners, but still... who the heck loses both covers, and how? Or did they simply take them off for that "Rat Rod" look, lol?

I want a belt guard more for esthetics and for keeping snow off the drive belts. I've had no adverse effects of not having a cover yet, despite having blown snow a few times already. No belt slipping, etc... just gotta remember not to mess around the belts/pullies with the engine running!

Last edited by 762mm; 02-04-2015 at 01:11 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2015, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1647
Likes (Received): 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762mm View Post
That's what I figured too and it was also suggested before. It's an avenue I haven't explored, but judging by the prices on eBay for used belt guards (and prices for NOS ones), I think I'd spend almost as much on the belt guard as I did on the rest of the snowblower. Hence why I will probably just make one out of scratch. Heck, even some thin plastic sheet cut out to a pattern and glued together would work, probably. I also toyed with the idea of making a mock up belt guard with cardboard and glue and then using fiberglass to make it permanent, kind of like they make custom interior parts for custom cars and boats. This being said, sheet aluminum and rivets is probably the fastest and least messy way to go about it. I'll weight my options shortly...

The machine works perfectly good without it, to tell you the truth. I am also missing the rear cover on it and have a hard time imagining how those two parts could've possibly got lost over the years... the machine probably had quite a few owners, but still... who the heck loses both covers, and how? Or did they simply take them off for that "Rat Rod" look, lol?

I want a belt guard more for esthetics and for keeping snow off the drive belts. I've had no adverse effects of not having a cover yet, despite having blown snow a few times already. No belt slipping, etc... just gotta remember not to mess around the belts/pullies with the engine running!

An aluminum belt guard using solid brazier-head 3/16" rivets tying-in a front face plate to a formed cap would look pretty-fricken-awesome!! (I was in the middle of restoring a '75 StarCraft SuperSport before a recent career change). Just have to watch for dissimilar metal issues...can get some nasty corrosion if steel & aluminum contact each other for an extended period of time...especially in the presence of salt water --> I doubt this would be an issue on a snowblower...just something to keep an eye on.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2015, 10:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 8
I bought mine on EBay for $14.00 last winter.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-05-2015, 04:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1169
Those belt guards have long been discontinued. best bet is E-BAY.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for your replies. Being in Canada, there's no way in h*ll I'm gonna be able to score one on eBay for $14 shipped. Not gonna happen... unless some crack addict is parting out a stolen snowblower somewhere, lol!

I figure I'll just make one out of sheet aluminum and aluminum rivets, then paint the d*mn thing black with a quality rust pain (that stuff lasts for decades). I'll make the rear cover the same way, except that I won't need to make that piece 3 dimensional (so no rivets on that one, just a bend to accommodate the contours of the body).

The time factor aside, it the final cost should be well below what I'll be able to get used parts for. Once I go ahead and do it, I'll take pictures and make it's own thread in the Toro section of the forum. For now though, I've got other projects on my plate....

(would you look at that... " d a m n " and " h e l l " are "bad words" according to Snowblower Forum. You learn something new every day, I suppose! It's a good thing no one's quoting verses of the Bible, isn't it?)

Last edited by 762mm; 02-05-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page