post #1 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Proud Toro story here...THANK YOU TORO!

Quick story as of today.
Neighbor across the street just so happens to be an inlaw.(nah we DONT get along)
Well, as a quick synopsis these in laws are well, let's just say, flashy about EVERYthing.

New this, new that and never ever offer anyone a helping hand to anyone.etc....
Me ? I mow neighbors lawns for free, always offer a helping hand, etc.

So just as the snow flies HEAVY here in the Boston area, sure enough my old blower totally crapped out.

Look over there and see this 'Mr $$$$$' using his new multi thousand dollar snowblower (no I don't know the brand, and hey no knock to anyone with a new one) ...with a big gig grin...
This thing may as well have a remote control, every bell and whistle imaginable.

Soooo, today. 3rd or so day of having my 'old' 95 Toro I was fortunate to find.....
More snow here about 6-8" or so..
Now I'm loving my 95 toro shooting the white stuff with ease.

I pause, and wellllll, across the street....Someone's multi $$$$$ new unit isn't working???....
Calls in reinforcements to try and fix, etc...to no avail....
and here I am with my couple hundred dollar good ol Toro eating the snow....

Hmmmmmmm.....0 sound on the other side....what a shame....
Again, if you knew "the type" of nose up a-holes I'm talking about, you'd agree..

Never wish any bad on anyone, but I gotta tell ya, as their $$$$$$ top of the line unit doing nada?!!!
Mannnn, I have to say.....it felt GOOOOD, shooting snow 40 ft in the air....with my "old" unit.

THANK YOU TORO!!!!

Had to share.
Post Thanks / Like - 4 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks 762mm, Grunt, classiccat, Normex thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 04:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Glad to see you are enjoying the POWERSHIFT

I only had 3.5 inches today, so I used the shovel. More coming this sunday and monday

I'll have 'er out again SOON. Need to open up the low-speed jet on mine a tinge but that's nothin'. Old man winter is bearing down heavy again with a slow but steady and long duration one coming.

Be sure to remember to check that oil every time before firin' up that old Tecumseh. They tend to use a little.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #3 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 05:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder13 View Post

I only had 3.5 inches today, so I used the shovel.
SHOVEL!
see below.

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #4 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
My 1975-77 vintage Toro 826 I paid $160 for ate through a bunch of snow today as well. I recently moved into my place and, same as the OP, I too have a neighbor across the street with a flashy machine and a "my crap don't stink" attitude. He takes the machine out even when we get 10 flakes of snow, just to show off I suppose (or to justify the expense to his old lady, perhaps). Anyway, before I bought mine earlier in the season, we had a large snowfall and I had a heck of a time cleaning it with a shovel. Every scoop was bloody painful, due to a recent back injury that just wasn't getting better. The guy saw from across the street how I was struggling with every shovel scoop and had a big grin on his face while blowing huge amounts of snow with his unit, never offering to help. So yes, assh*le neighbors are out there, everywhere (I'm in Canada). It p*ssed me off and, as luck would have it, I got my used Toro that same week through a contact and it can do everything the neighbor's machine can... and then some, I'd bet! I also noticed he no longer has a grin on his face when we're both out there blowing our snow. I'm just waiting for his little marvel to crap out on him one day while mine is going strong... that'd be a precious moment indeed!

The way I see it, having a used quality unit is no different than getting a $2k unit brand new from the store. If you can do basic maintenance on it, there's no reason for buying new... unless of course all you want to buy is a warranty!

(besides, a new unit will need maintenance at some point too)

Last edited by 762mm; 02-05-2015 at 05:33 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762mm View Post
My 1975-77 vintage Toro 826 I paid $160 for ate through a bunch of snow today as well. I recently moved into my place and, same as the OP, I too have a neighbor across the street with a flashy machine and a "my crap don't stink" attitude. He takes the machine out even when we get 10 flakes of snow, just to show off I suppose (or to justify the expense to his old lady, perhaps). Anyway, before I bought mine earlier in the season, we had a large snowfall and I had a heck of a time cleaning it with a shovel. Every scoop was bloody painful, due to a recent back injury that just wasn't getting better. The guy saw how I was struggling with every shovel scoop and had a big grin on his face while blowing huge amounts of snow with his unit, never offering to help. So yes, assh*le neighbors are out there, everywhere (I'm in Canada). It p*ssed me off and, as luck would have it, I got my used Toro that same week through a contact and it can do everything the neighbor's machine can... and then some, I'd bet! I also noticed he no longer has a grin on his face when we're both out there blowing our snow.

The way I see it, having a used quality unit is no different than getting a $2k unit brand new from the store. If you can do basic maintenance on it, there's no reason for buying new... unless of course all you want to buy is a warranty!

(besides, a new unit will need maintenance at some point too)
Exactly ...AND... we got all summer to replace a bushing or two and whatever else it should need. Even restore if it's an old classic and you got the time.

The meltdown is under way ...

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #6 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 05:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Awesome story Geezer! Thanks for sharing!!!

I'm guessin' you didn't blow out their driveway for them

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #7 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
oldgeezer,
whatever happened to love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek?

You should have blown that "40" foot snow towards him....with a big grin on your face.

I hate shoveling SNOW!

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #8 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
...you do know that a MASSIVE percentage of new SBF members are here as a result of their machines not working

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #9 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
...you do know that a MASSIVE percentage of new SBF members are here as a result of their machines not working
Can't blame them for that. I think pretty much everyone came here because they had questions they needed answered or wanted some extra info. I know I did!

(and now my vintage Toro blows snow like a champ and purrs like a kitten)

post #10 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762mm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Can't blame them for that. I think pretty much everyone came here because they had questions they needed answered or wanted some extra info. I know I did!

(and now my vintage Toro blows snow like a champ and purrs like a kitten)

My point is that his neighbor may show up in the Introductions expecting oldgeezer to welcome him to SBF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page