LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
826le 38620

I'm looking for a little more information on this machine. I've had it for about 5 years after acquiring it. It was stored (improperly with gas in it)and barely used. A few years of carb issues and finally it runs like a tank. It still shines like new after some really heavy northeast winters over the past few years. I believe it was bought in 2005, apparently at this time they were still using Tecumseh.

Anyone with this model? I ask because after this historic season in the Boston area, I am really blown away by the performance of this machine. I can hit a plows icy snow mound at mid speed and truck through and it keeps going. At 20-25 inches, it chews a full auger at low speed without even bogging, throwing packed snow nearly 40 feet.

I used my fathers '78 524 for years, and after getting this one , after over 30 years I let it go. As underpowered as that was (albeit way underrated at 5 horse), I was expecting to be let down by modern engineering. I'm very surprised. Just wondering what anyone thinks as far as this model, and the post-Tecumseh Toro snow blower era.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2015, 03:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
what brand of engine is on there?????????????? those five and seven HP. engines were gutless wonders 4 me.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'd like to add, which I find curious, is the subject of engine power. This is rated at 316cc?. All new 8 "horse" at least between ariens and toro, have mid 200s cc. I knew I could feel the difference between this and new "8 horse" snow blowers, but I couldn't put my finger on it. What's the deal with that? You have to pay for a 11 or 12 "horse" machine now to get a 310+cc engine?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
what brand of engine is on there?????????????? those five and seven HP. engines were gutless wonders 4 me.
Tecumseh Snow King
post #5 of 7 Old 02-19-2015, 03:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
mainly do to the fact they are now OHV engines.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yea not trying to compare the '78 to the '05.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
TORO'S new engines. we will have to see how they go I guess. I only run BRIGGS engines on mine.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page