Toro 724 (model 38050) - Question about clutch spring location - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 724 (model 38050) - Question about clutch spring location

Hi Everyone,
Here's my first post, and I'm desperate as we are not out of the woods with the snow for this winter, here in upstate New York! I'm relatively mechanically inclined, but not nearly as much as I'd like to be. I know just enough to be "dangerous", as they say. Ha ha.

Today I was using the Toro 724 and it wouldn't "stay" in neutral. The shifter would basically fall into gear. I know that most typically, the shifter would have to be held in gear, and the default position it would return to was neutral for obvious safety reasons.

I looked at the exploded part diagram, and was fairly certain that it was the clutch spring, part 11-4640. Sure enough, after removing the bottom metal panel, it was sitting broken on the bottom of the traction compartment. I can see from the exploded part diagram where the clutch spring interfaces with (i.e. hooks through) the corner of the pivot shaft. Can anyone advise me on where the other end of the spring attaches? The diagram gives no indication at all

I've also looked at the service manual and just can't figure it out. "Forward to a tab on the chassis" but I couldn't find anything that appeared like a spring had been there.

It's a Toro 724 (model 38050) with serial number 5001837.

Thanks a million.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Region Capture.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	45881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Region Capture2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	45921  

Last edited by jera223; 03-08-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I may have found my answer. Is this the "forward tab on the chassis" the service manual refers to?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Region Capture3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	45929  

Last edited by jera223; 03-08-2015 at 11:31 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 11:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2904
Likes (Received): 538
Hello and welcome to the forum jera. Here is a link to a picture that classiccat posted showing the connection point.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...oro-824-a.html

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-09-2015, 06:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1166
BROTHER GRUNT is the man that always has the TORO master plan in hand. they might even come from a tan van.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Problem solved

Thanks, everyone. I am thinking my 724 snowblower is somehow designed a bit differently than the 824 referenced above, because the picture didn’t match what I had. So, here’s an alternative approach to solving this issue.

The photo I posted earlier (close up posted again) showing the tab on the chassis where the small end of the spring attaches is the correct location. It would be great if the service manual were more clear as to where the spring mates with the chassis!

It was a pain to install the spring. The service manual implies that the main wheel axle must be removed, and I agree that's the easiest in terms of getting access to the pivot axle. I didn’t want to disturb my 30 year-old snow blower any further than I had to, so I opted to install the spring with some long forceps and avoid prior axle removal. The spring has a rather large spring constant, and so this was not so easy to do. My recommendation is to:
  • On the long end of the spring, bend it out so the end of spring makes a 45 or so degree angle so it’s easier to thread through the hole on the pivot axle.
  • Then, insert the long end of the spring into the pivot axle hole (again, I used sturdy tweezers. Note this is nearly impossible to do if you already connected the other end (the "chassis" end) of the spring, so connect this longer end first.
  • Then, bend the long end of the spring back so it makes a "U" shape. You really don't want the spring coming undone from the pivot axle any sooner than you can control.
  • Then, using a pair of angled forceps, I went up through the exterior hole in the chassis and pulled the small end of the spring through the larger chassis hole (pictured above), and let the small end of the spring seat itself in the small hole. This requires some hard pulling, again, due to the large spring constant.

This worked for me. Not easy, but now that I’ve done it I could probably do it again. The entire job took me an hour but I had a lot of false starts, connecting the small end of the spring first, and making some fixtures in the basement -- none of which worked because I'd mistakenly connected the chassis end of the spring first -- to help position the spring.

Anyway, the shifter now works as intended, and I have some positive force against the stops in the neutral position -- as intended by the manufacturer.

I didn’t empty the oil and now it’s all over the garage floor, from when I inverted the unit for repair. So I even started the process of changing the oil! Kill two birds with one stone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150308_222331.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	46209  

Last edited by jera223; 03-10-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt thanked for this post
post #6 of 7 Old 03-10-2015, 01:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 382
Welcome to the Toro Hanger of SBF Jera!

Sounds like you're learnin'!!

Yeah, your chassis is a little different. I can see how that would be a pain. Mine literally took a minute to change through the belt hatch...not to rub it in or anything

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #7 of 7 Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, this is not something i want to do again anytime soon! But like I said, it'd be easier now that I've done it once of course. I'm learning.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page