toro 824 powershift transmission problem - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
toro 824 powershift transmission problem

I have a toro 824 powershift snowblower,when engageing the forward gears the snowblower goes reverse,all 4 forward gears.When put in both reverse gears they both work in reverse,I can shift in all gears but all are engaged in reverse no matter which gear selected.Adjusted the control cables to factory setting but made no differance,can't figure this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
I am not too familiar with the powershift but if it is a friction disc model it sounds like the hex shaft the friction wheel assembly rides on is rusty or gummed up to the point where when you engage the cables to go forward the friction wheel assembly slides to a certain point on the hex shaft and then gets stuck. the cables deflect somewhere along the way or something is bending to let the gear selector go to the speed settings.

do you have a model number. I believe the toro numbers would be something like 38545 plus a serial number.

Is it the same reverse speed when in all forward gears?
post #3 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you,it is #38540,this has a closed transmision with no plates,I wish it had plates.I have been searching internet for days now and there is nothing about this problem.I think its a problem inside the tranny, but I can't find a used one and a new tranny is too expensive,I'm just lost,and the toro mechanic charges $83 an hour,thank you very much.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Model # 38540 serial 8900001 and up those have a transmission (66-8030) sounds like something slipped or loose or jammed you can download your manual online Toro.com check maybe a cable came loose.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 07:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Just looked at my manual, it's to cold and dark to see any thing right now on my machine, but right off the top of my head it doesn't sound like a trany problem if your getting the unit to move sounds more like a linkage problem but I'm no expert on that model( just got mine this summer). But there are guys here that can take them apart and back together blindfolded in the dark in -40 degrees. I do Know it's rare to have a major transmission problem on those. It can happen though.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have gone through the transmission linkage and all seems to be o.k.,I have been going over the service manuel for days now and can't figure it out.I love the machine its a beast,thank you very much,I will post when fixed.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Do you have the parts catalog for that? page 8 under traction linage assembly shows all the parts & pieces for the shifter under the dash that things got more springs than a Swiss watch.Just wondering if something is preventing the reverse lever P# 20 from disengaging ? just spit balling here.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I decided to take tranny out,which I did today.I have the service manual and it seems the tranny is always in forward gears,but when you pull lever into revevse the cable is suppose to move a gear into revevse then springs keep tranny in forward gear when you release gear shift.When I inspected the reverse lever ontop of trans, it wasn't moving the arm,so a little wd40 and it moves now,but somethings broke inside tranny you can feel a clicking,so I'LL bring to toro and pay the $85 an hour unless you no someone in CT That can help,thank you for your help tim!!!
post #9 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
CT is a little out of my territory.Well hopefully it's not to bad. When I was looking at getting mine I asked a friend of mine who worked for an outfit that repaired small engine stuff about those tranys he said as far as he could remember he never had to deal with any issues with them he said there are cars on the road that don't have as good a record with there transmissions. You might want to hang out here a little longer and see if anyone has a better idea. Hey for all I know that clicking could be normal.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Fixed transmision

Problem fxed,took the trans apart this morning and the shift collar # 67-5880 was broke.There are 4 teeth that slide and mate to the forward gear were all broke off.It had to happen when shiting and jamming gears between forward and reversa.Local toro dealer had the part and just finished test drive and runs perfect,thank you for your help TimY,GREAT SITE,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page