LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 08-23-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 10
Question SnowMaster 824QXE

This is an interesting looking new machine. Sounds like it should be very fast in the light snow falls. What would be the downfall? I have a 2.5 car wide drive and 6-8 cars. It is concrete. Looking at the Ariens Compact 24 and Deluxe 24 also the Powermax 724. This looks like a machine when we get 2-4 inches it will just be stupid fast. But what about when we get 10-12 or I have drifting. Like the idea it cleans like a single stage, but has more power. Anyone have any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 08-23-2015, 06:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Ok, first, I know you are tired of hearing from me. when these were announced, I was excited at the thought of what amounts to a 1 1/2 stage. After looking at them in person, I'm not so sure. They are fairly long so feels like using them would be comparable to using a 2 stage rather than a single stage. It is much lighter than a traditional 2 stage, though. Like anything else, there are trade-offs but maybe more than are worth it - unproven design, not as good at deep snow as a 2 stage, slower than a single stage in lighter snows. As we've discussed in other threads, the 13" tires are small and worry me plus not sure how the Personal Pace is going to work on a snowblower.
post #3 of 64 Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbnsoul View Post
Ok, first, I know you are tired of hearing from me. when these were announced, I was excited at the thought of what amounts to a 1 1/2 stage. After looking at them in person, I'm not so sure. They are fairly long so feels like using them would be comparable to using a 2 stage rather than a single stage. It is much lighter than a traditional 2 stage, though. Like anything else, there are trade-offs but maybe more than are worth it - unproven design, not as good at deep snow as a 2 stage, slower than a single stage in lighter snows. As we've discussed in other threads, the 13" tires are small and worry me plus not sure how the Personal Pace is going to work on a snowblower.
cbnsoul not at all tired of hearing from you. Actually suprised theres this much activity on a snow blower forum in August.....lol. I guess im not the only one who plans ahead. 2 stage is very proven just interesting to see a new spin on it. Still leaning to a Compact 24., the deluxe may be too wide for my application. The compact is going to be close.
post #4 of 64 Old 08-30-2015, 02:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 14
So with this self propelled machine comes the necessity to de-couple the auger from the pavement using skid shoes (auger does not touch the ground) like all 2 stage machines. Do you think that the compression loaded scraper bar will be sufficient to clean to the pavement (as advertised) as well as a traditional SS design where the rubber edged auger makes constant contact with the ground?
Also the auger shape is a departure from the powercurve design. Do you think that the more traditional helical shape with small flat center section will be better than the powercurve shape for EOD piles?

cbnsoul: since this unit does not contact the pavement the skid shoes would prevent the center flat section from hitting the grooves in your sidewalks, right?

Last edited by Slinger; 09-03-2015 at 11:09 AM.
post #5 of 64 Old 08-30-2015, 05:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The scraper isn't really what I expected. It has fins on the bottom to strengthen it but I'm afraid it might catch on the drive grooves , although I think it's unlikely. The auger at least won't be an issue.

The way I see it, the SnowMasters are kinda the best and worst of both worlds. Not as maneuverable as a single stage but not as capable as a 2 stage. In fact, they claim it's faster than using a 2 stage but it feels like a light two stage - it's long and still fairly heavy, especially when comparing it with a 721.
post #6 of 64 Old 08-30-2015, 06:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 14
If they had a remote control for the chute deflector as well as the included quick chute control I probably would already own a 721QZE. I could probably get by with it for all of my snow throwing needs and it's small and light enough that in the summer I can carry it down to by basement to free up space in the garage.

Last edited by Slinger; 08-30-2015 at 06:39 PM.
post #7 of 64 Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Think you pretty much need one of the new Hobda SS to get the remote chute deflector but I know on last year's models it was a difficult adjustment. Supposedly if it is lubricated correctly, it worked better. The lever on the one on display at Hone Depot (and therefore probably NOT lubed correctly) is hard to move.
post #8 of 64 Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I was looking two get a two stage machine to accompany my current Toro CCR Powerlite. The things a beast for such a small machine, but of late in NY with the larger snowstorm events, I find myself muscling the machine to get it thru the deeper wet stuff and the EOD snow is a PITA.

From the one review I did read over at Movingsnow.com with the 724QZE, it does move a 5" snow event nicely, with the 824 adding some more HP/TRQ it should be even better.

I would like to have one machine to maintain rather then two. I have seen the Toro 721RC SS in action and it does a nice job with most storms, I can only see this unit doing better with the extra CC engine, the powered wheels, and its still fairly light compared to a 2 stage which would be great for my wife who on occasion takes care of the driveway when I am out plowing.

I really think this will be a winner, for the right conditions.
post #9 of 64 Old 09-09-2015, 01:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 243
Likes (Received): 285
I do as well.

Especially if the wife is going to use it too.

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #10 of 64 Old 09-14-2015, 05:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I stopped by my local Toro dealer, who are fantastic people, and saw the snowmaster. It really is an interesting, to me, snowblower.

I look at it as a bigger single stage instead of a smaller 2 stage. The thing that I was thinking on was the EOD crap that I always get. It's like the plows throw it extra deep in front of my drive. lol

The dealer, who I trust completely, said they had tried one out this past spring, and it went through a bank of snow that had turned into ice chunks, etc.. very well.

Now, will it turn out to be a great machine or a bust? I dunno. I'm down to either this machine, or a Honda 720. My problem with the Honda is I only have 1 local dealer, who isn't that wonderful. Basically the kind that adds charges onto everything, and puts a sales ahead of anything else.

Where as the Toro dealer I go to, is what you see is what you get. Doesn't charge extra for this or that, and will actually be honest to the point of rather losing a sale than sell something they don't believe in, or think the customer doesn't need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page