LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Question for Toro Powershift owners

I have a 1028 powershift and I'm having an issue with the "little black box" which is the over complicated handle bar shifting console. The "paddle" that is pushed up when pushing the shift lever into "Powershift" no longer stays in its correct neutral position, it falls down into the way of the shift lever. So when I try to shift from neutral over to 2nd gear I hit the edge of the power shift paddle. I for the life of me can't figure out how I'm going to fix this, as I can't figure out what was keeping the paddle in the correct neutral position in the first place! I'll take a video of the problem tomorrow, but does anyone have ideas on what what is supposed to keep that "paddle" in its resting position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 04:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Paul,
I have a 8-24 1998 year mine only has the one shifter no extra paddle but that assembly has more parts, springs etc. than a Swiss watch. so have the diagrams in hand and take pics if /when you drop that unit. My first guess would be a spring or one of those cogs got outta whack.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's a pic of what is happening, notice how the powershift "paddle" is collapsed down into the way of the shifter? Can anyone tell on there powershift what is supposed to keep that from happening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131202_131156.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	4994  
post #4 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Paul Now I see what you mean same as mine.That's got be a spring issue I'll bet # 16 on the traction linkage assembly diagram or #40 #16 is a flat spring those just love to go snap. #40 is a torsion my experience with those wear body armor well a least safety glasses looks like you'll have to drop that unit. My best advice is get a big tarp a big light and a big magnet because if those parts and pieces go flying it's easier to find them on a tarp with strong light and a magnet than on the garage floor under a bench among the dust bunny's
post #5 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimY View Post
Paul Now I see what you mean same as mine.That's got be a spring issue I'll bet # 16 on the traction linkage assembly diagram or #40 #16 is a flat spring those just love to go snap. #40 is a torsion my experience with those wear body armor well a least safety glasses looks like you'll have to drop that unit. My best advice is get a big tarp a big light and a big magnet because if those parts and pieces go flying it's easier to find them on a tarp with strong light and a magnet than on the garage floor under a bench among the dust bunny's
When I took it all apart a couple of weeks ago and I remember seeing #40 intact, so maybe it's #16 since I don't remember seeing it at all. I'll probably just leave it be for now, no use me taking the thing apart a second time and risking screwing something up and being out a snowblower for a while. Why couldn't they just keep things simple? It's this type of thing that makes me want to trade someone for an older Toro, been looking at an 1132 on craigslist for $350 in sweet shape.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Don't you just love engineers; making simple things hard since the pyramids.The thing is, which is a more of a PIA, dealing with it as is or dropping the unit to see if that is the problem. But even if you trade it you'll probably going to have to at least look at it. At least the new owner will know what they're dealing with. But you dropped that once so you have a better idea then I have what's involved( for future reference how bad is it). Too bad the shipping three time the cost of that silly part.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimY View Post
Don't you just love engineers; making simple things hard since the pyramids.The thing is, which is a more of a PIA, dealing with it as is or dropping the unit to see if that is the problem. But even if you trade it you'll probably going to have to at least look at it. At least the new owner will know what they're dealing with. But you dropped that once so you have a better idea then I have what's involved( for future reference how bad is it). Too bad the shipping three time the cost of that silly part.
After taking apart the shifter box once, I believe that I will leave it till spring and have it done by a pro that works on Toro snowblowers and could most likely do the work in his sleep. When I took it apart the first time I had a moment or two where I thought "There is no way I get this back together and functional for winter without a pro helping" I did get it back together, even fixed a secondary issue. There is no way I take that thing back apart unless I have a video of how it is supposed to go together, and I don't think that I'll find anything like that. Thanks for your input Tim.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I was afraid you were going to say that so I will not be jamming that shiffter like a truck driver (no offense to the big rig guys)
post #9 of 12 Old 12-15-2013, 08:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 6
Hi folks. I'm reading this thread as I try to wrestle with my 1028 that is being finicky when it comes to engaging the wheel drive (auger works just dandy). When I shift into a gear and engage the drive, sometimes it goes right along - other times it does nothing at all. Often times, if I lean into it with my hip and help it ...it will go. Reverse makes is shudder noticeably.

I see that the drive chain (my term, not sure that's what Toro calls it) has a lot of play in it. Both the primary drive sprocket and the one on the wheel axle look good; no noticeable wear.

Two questions: In your thread, you mention springs #16 and #40. What language is you a' speakin' :-)?

If you have any guidance on my "drive" issue, I'd love to hear it. I'm about to start taking off the lower rear red cover of the whole drive assemble box (another term I made up) to see what's what.

Thank you!

Jay
post #10 of 12 Old 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
i have a 1028 powershift and i'm having an issue with the "little black box" which is the over complicated handle bar shifting console. The "paddle" that is pushed up when pushing the shift lever into "powershift" no longer stays in its correct neutral position, it falls down into the way of the shift lever. So when i try to shift from neutral over to 2nd gear i hit the edge of the power shift paddle. I for the life of me can't figure out how i'm going to fix this, as i can't figure out what was keeping the paddle in the correct neutral position in the first place! I'll take a video of the problem tomorrow, but does anyone have ideas on what what is supposed to keep that "paddle" in its resting position?
check the springs and adjust the rod to the trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page