LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 10-01-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Power Max HD 928 OHXE (38801)

I've gone back and forth on the Ariens/Toro fence. I live just outside of Boulder, Colorado on a sloped corner lot. Snows on average 90"/year, but have been hitting 120's the last few years. It falls light and fluffy, but the sun can cause it to be wet and heavy pretty quickly, especially the stuff touching the warm paved areas. I have a three car garage and very long, curvy sidewalk that wraps around my lot. I'd also like to do a path in my backyard for the dogs. The Toro Power Max HD 1028 sounds ideal, but the price is outside of what I want to pay.

Does anyone have experience with the Power Max HD 928 OHXE (38801)? Does the 265cc have enough power for the 28" bucket? I like the setup of the Toro with chute controls and power steering, but am also considering an Ariens 28" SHO. I've negotiated good prices on both and just need to pull the trigger.

The HD 826 looks nice too, but I was told by Toro that it is backordered until early November. Who knows if or for how long that will get pushed back.

Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 10-01-2015, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 109
It should be plenty. I have an 8 28 that beasted through last years fiasco in the New England region. Don't know what changes they might have made but this model was my favorite to use. Very easy to operate everything including the trigger steer. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00202_8LYcW5Iot6y_600x450_1443717169321.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	57441   Click image for larger version

Name:	01515_jZAMNaGsYYS_600x450_1443717219327.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	57449  
post #3 of 49 Old 10-01-2015, 01:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
YA Sure you betcha there. that the 265cc. will have the rasins in it to get the job done. no problem anytime.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 49 Old 10-01-2015, 03:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 156
I agree, plenty of power there. Either the SHO or the HD Toro will get the job done. Our local hardware store carries the Toro HD's and the service manager raves about them. They sell lots of them every season.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #5 of 49 Old 10-05-2015, 04:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Filed under 'for what it is worth department'

I had to recently make the same Ariens/Toro decision (particularly since I wanted to go with my local repair place, not a big box).

The past New England winter killed my 1988 824 Toro (engine seized) and stripped the auger gears on my 2011 2620 Troy-bilt, which apparently is a common problem with them, as well as a shear pin. Although I managed to repair my 2011 2620 Troy-bilt (based on this video: (
) there was no way I was going to trust it as my main snowthrower going forward.

I was personally driven to the Toro's HD Commercial-Grade Auger Gearcase, based on my unfortuate experience with the Troy-bilt. I was tempted to go with the Power Max HD 928 OHXE (38801), but ended up with a Power Max HD 826 OXE (38805) instead. The Power Max HD 826 OXE had most of the HD features, but was easier to maneuver and $200 cheaper. From what I have read, it appears that the power/bucket ratio is the same for both, although the Power Max HD 928 OHXE does have heated handles and the upgraded cast iron skids. Decisions, decisions....

Certainly can't go wrong with the Ariens either although they don't appear to have a 26 inch, which is my sweet spot.

I also may be one of the few that actually prefer the plastic chute/housing. At least in my experience with my Troy-bilt, it is lighter, snow doesn't stick as much to it and it doesn't rust. Like many, durability was always a question, but at least in this respect my Troy-bilt has been fine and I would expect the Toro to be better. Only time however will tell for sure.
post #6 of 49 Old 10-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
why dont you just throw a predator on your old toro?
post #7 of 49 Old 10-05-2015, 08:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
why dont you just throw a predator on your old toro?
Frankly the rest of the unit was showing its age and I was tired of messing with it (carb, auger, transmission all needed constant attention) . Just needed something more dependable since I could no longer afford to invest my sweat equity in it . I certainly got my money's worth out if it though. That on top of replacing my Troy-bilt auger gear in the middle of the brutal winter convinced me to look for something newer .

It would certainly make a good project for someone who has time on their hands:

post #8 of 49 Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
where are you located, im always looking for projects
post #9 of 49 Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
where are you located, im always looking for projects
New England (Middlesex County in MA), but I bought my Toro from my local repair shop who hauled it away to make room for the new one . Don't know what plans if any they have for it.....
post #10 of 49 Old 10-06-2015, 07:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by laptopquestions View Post
New England (Middlesex County in MA), but I bought my Toro from my local repair shop who hauled it away to make room for the new one . Don't know what plans if any they have for it.....
more than likely they will take it for parts. and scrap the rest.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page